It is currently Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ] 
 Post subject: Attica Question #23 ~ Visiting the World of Attica
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 7:49 am 

If you could go to Attica, would you?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: Attica Question #23 ~ Visiting the World of Attica
PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:54 am 

I probably wouldn't go to the world Garry created in the attic. :fear: Too many dangers for me at this point in my life. The movie theater will be close enough for me.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 11:45 am 

I don't think I would be brave enough to visit Garry's attic. :fear: As a youngster maybe - nah - still too chicken. :-O Like nebraska said - I'll wait for the movie so I can hide my eyes if necessary!! :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:16 pm 

I was thinking of the characters in the story. Would they go back?? Funny how Mr. Grantham knowing Attica, sent them there. I would only go safely armored :-O

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 4:49 pm 
JDZ Moderator

deppaura wrote:
I was thinking of the characters in the story. Would they go back?? Funny how Mr. Grantham knowing Attica, sent them there. I would only go safely armored :-O

Maybe Mr. Grantham was hoping to get them out of his hair. But I have a feeling he knew somehow that it would be good for them…..that they would grow from the experience.

Attica, no. :fear: A real attic, maybe. I am curious now about attics in row houses and would like to someday check one out. But I don’t think I’d walk very far from the attic door, and I’d leave it open.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:28 pm 

If you could go to Attica, would you?
I am too old. I think Attica is only for children. I love the fantasy but will have to settle for reading second hand the youngsters adventures.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:06 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

No, I'm not nearly brave enough to go to Attica. I wouldn't have been as a child, and I'm certainly not now. Real life is an adventure enough for me now....I'll leave the attic explorations to the young!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:11 pm 

Liz and deppaura, I think bringing up Mr. Grantham is definitely a key. I can just see him sitting on the porch with a knowing twinkle in his eye talking about the attic, all the while knowing that they would learn what they needed to learn and return safely.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:01 pm 

Before I go, do I get to know the part about broken bones magically healing when you return to the regular world? That would make a lot of difference to me! :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2009 10:09 pm 

Sorry for not being around these past few days. Exotic travel for work - to Lubbock, TX! Anyway, my meeting went well and I am safely back. I feel somewhat as if I have survived Attica!

I, too, am too old to contemplate what I would do in Attica. I was trying to remember what book we read where we had a question sort of like this, but I just can't come up with it. Anyway, I think I answered with this same answer. I don't think I would go into Attica because I don't think I would be strong enough to come out again. I am easily seduced and I fear I would succumb to the lure of the attic. I like to think I would be brave and resourceful, but who knows?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 01, 2009 12:27 pm 

Bix wrote:
Sorry for not being around these past few days. Exotic travel for work - to Lubbock, TX! Anyway, my meeting went well and I am safely back. I feel somewhat as if I have survived Attica!

I, too, am too old to contemplate what I would do in Attica. I was trying to remember what book we read where we had a question sort of like this, but I just can't come up with it. Anyway, I think I answered with this same answer. I don't think I would go into Attica because I don't think I would be strong enough to come out again. I am easily seduced and I fear I would succumb to the lure of the attic. I like to think I would be brave and resourceful, but who knows?

Bix, I think you have hit on exactly why Attica is for the young. They have their whole life ahead to come back to. If you have already lived most of your life Attica might be a lot more compelling to stay since time goes backwards.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:28 am 
JDZ Moderator

gemini wrote:
Bix wrote:

Bix, I think you have hit on exactly why Attica is for the young. They have their whole life ahead to come back to. If you have already lived most of your life Attica might be a lot more compelling to stay since time goes backwards.

Great insights, ladies! :applause2:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:07 pm 

Attica is definitely not for me. The magic probably doesn't work on those of a certain age. I might not see a vast world, just a dusty, old attic. Attica exists for those who need it. I've learned my lessons in life, Attica is for the young. It doesn't work on everyone, just kids at a crossroads. But that's where the magic comes into play.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:15 pm 

I'd go to Attica - but I'd be worried about being lost in it. I like to know where the exit is so I'd need to kep a weather on that trapdoor! So, I suppose going there would be pretty pointless, really.

Page 1 of 1 [ 14 posts ]