It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Attica Question #14 ~ Bortrekker or Board-Comber?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:09 am 
JDZ Moderator

Would you rather be a bortrekker or a board-comber?

If a board-comber, what would you collect? Do you collect anything now?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: Attica Question #14 ~ Bortrekker or Board-Comber?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 11:35 am 

I would rather be a bortrekker than board-comber. The collectors seem obsessed with their prize of choice, but the other is an explorer. The bortrekker gets to see other parts of the attic, encounter other inhabitants, and have adventures. The poor board-comber is constantly in search of one thing. Besides, the bortrekker appeared to remember more of what it was like to be human than the board-comber.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 1:16 pm 

I am definitely a board-comber. And yes, obsessed! Nothing expresses delight like finding a new special item for my collections, I can feel the adrenaline pump just thinking about it. I collect X Files trading cards, and trading cards of Johnny's movies when I can find them (been eying a very expensive CACTF card with movie prop grass :rolleyes: ), Johnny's movies, goat trinkets (pictures, statues, etc etc), all manner of rubberstamping craft supplies ........and lately I am collecting wine glasses from various wineries in the area. My poor tiny house is overrun.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 2:40 pm 

I wouldn't want to be either, because both seem like lonely choices.

I'm sure it won't surprise anyone here when I say that I seem to collect books, especially books from about 1900-1950. I just acquired Gypsy Rose Lee's "The G-String Murders" and a tome on the English language by H.L. Mencken.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:02 pm 

No problem with this question - I am definately a board-comer! I collect red Bohemian glassware and antiques. I have a real passion for antique kerosene lamps. Great fun when I make a real find! :hattersmile:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 6:18 pm 

I think I am a Board-Comber that has morphed into a Bortrekker. I still have some collections but not as many items as before. I seem to find exploring now more interesting than collecting. However the thrill of the hunt and finding the trophy still holds a certain appeal. One of my relatives was a major Board-Comber and the difficulties when it was time to move and down size were major. That may have influenced by Board-Comber tendencies!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 7:35 pm 

Board-comber, I confess. Well, with a username like 'magpie,' what do you expect? :blush: I have quite a few pieces of costume jewelry--some Eisenberg & Miriam Haskell pieces are my favorites. And, apparently (but not really intentionally) books, judging by the number of them around here.

. . if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it. --C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:28 pm 

I'd have to be a bortrekker. I'm a pack rat, but not a collector - so board combing wouldn't really appeal to me. But striking off across the next great expanse would.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:06 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

I'd rather be a bortrekker, but honestly, my tendencies are geared more toward board-combing. I'm a bit like Bix, more of a packrat than a collector, but I do like adding to my stuff. Over the years, the things I collect have changed (but of course I still have all my different collections). Let's see, at various times, I've collected Barbies, tin boxes, old Bibles, fossils, seashells, rocks, old coins, cookbooks (a strange one since I don't cook), ceramic houses (like those from Dept 56) and nativity sets.

So maybe I couldn't really be a board-comber, since there's not one collection that consumes me. I like them all.

Maybe I could be a browser....going from book to book, reading?
:bigwink:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:16 pm 

fansmom wrote:
I wouldn't want to be either, because both seem like lonely choices.

At least in Attica, they do. The closest I've come to this is JDOCD, but, I find that somewhat mild compared to some examples put forth.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:29 pm 

I am a bortrekker at heart but living the life of a board comber.

Board combers Wow, I have much in common with them. I have always taken a fancy to certain things and usually want to collect them. One of my friends even accused me once of collecting dogs. (I was very insulted because you don't collect family members but I did understand where she was coming from.) I find that I need a lot of alone time, not all the time but more then most people. They all had one little friend or pet to keep them company so they were not truly alone. Like our first nameless board- comber I couldn't resist following along and becoming involved in the lives of the others. Even Amanda had the same traits but was a bit more aggressive then the boy. I can understand the impulse to collect beautiful little Inuit treasures and the beautiful show like tractors that fascinated Alex more than the watches and clocks that Amanda collected. I have several collections, mostly things I think are beautiful and expand my collections just like the board combers. (Mostly things in miniature...model ships, dollhouses, Oriental dolls, elephants, and dragons.)

The Bortrekker was also very interesting to me. He was like Indiana Jones, loved to read and could not resist a life of discovering new things and places. He was a bit of a loner but like the board-combers he has his two little friends or pets to keep him company on his travels. Of course Jones was afraid of snakes and our bortrekker loved his little rats. Like Alex, they both fascinated me.
Edit to add... I forgot Johnny, I seem collect everything related to him from movies to jewelry. I have quite a few books too, maybe I am just a pack rack as Bix says.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:18 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
I think I am a Board-Comber that has morphed into a Bortrekker. I still have some collections but not as many items as before. I seem to find exploring now more interesting than collecting. However the thrill of the hunt and finding the trophy still holds a certain appeal. One of my relatives was a major Board-Comber and the difficulties when it was time to move and down size were major. That may have influenced by Board-Comber tendencies!

DITHOT, the thrill of the hunt is part of it. Knowing that I collected goats, a friend once sent me an entire box full of goat-related items. And I have them in my collection, but they are not as meaningful to me as one item purchased at the State Fair. or one gift given by a friend in appreciation for taking pictures at his wedding, or one bamboo calendar purchased in New York's China Town on a trip of a lifetime. Many of my collection pieces have a story or a meaning or a connection to a person behind them, and perhaps it is those memories and emotions that I am collecting more than material things.

On the other hand, there are those X Files cards, many of which are just an investment, a large amount of money for the challenge of winning.........but the beginning of that particular collection has a memory that is very special.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:37 am 
JDZ Moderator

Love everyone’s answers! :loveshower: And I can relate to all of you in some way.

If tied to the attic, I couldn’t be either bortrekker or board-comber, just like fansmom said, because I couldn’t stand the lonely life. But I could easily be a bortrekker in the real world if I could realistically swing it. I love to travel and see new places and meet new people. But I have too many responsibilities and not enough money. :-/

I’m not sure you can count this as collecting—more like a pat rack, like Bix….most of what I have collected over the years has been in the way of memorabilia and things of sentimental value…photos, brochures, souvenirs of places I’ve been to (bortrekker), and the same for the kids and the rest of my family and friends—the kids’ clothes, shoes, special toys and stuffed animals, cards, birthday napkins, programs, etc., special books. I don’t think what I have collected would classify me as a board-comber, though, because I do not actively search for these items.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 7:41 am 

I heard a story on the news this morning about someone who was definitely a Board-Comber! His family started KB Toys and he has been collecting old toys since the 1950's. He is now selling his collection of over 7,000 toys because he wants others to enjoy them. He doesn't need the money although the first, and I believe second, auctions brought in over $4 million. He added a four story addition to his home to house the collection.

Do you have a special way to show off your collections?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:48 am 
JDZ Moderator

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Do you have a special way to show off your collections?

7,000 toys is quite a collection.

I show off my collection of photos and memorabilia in scrapbooks that I make. I'm a little behind on that, though. :-/

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next