It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: Attica Question #5 ~ Amanda
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:26 am 
JDZ Moderator

Now let's change this up a bit and discuss Amanda.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: Attica Question #5 ~ Amanda
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:50 pm 

Amanda is another strong and likeable young woman character. I think we learn more about her than the other Attica residents, perhaps because she is willing to spend so much time with Alex. She is certainly brave and self-sufficient and seems to understand herself perfectly. She recognizes loneliness for what it is and doesn't use any excuses to try to get herself to go back to the real world where she led such an unhappy life. She helped Alex immeasureably when she got him to realize his anger at the crowd who stood by while his dad died. She treated him so gently as she set him to thinking of the good things about his dad and helped him forget the ugly scene he had always thought of before. It must have been very hard for her to part with Mr. Grantham's watch, so that part really got to me. I loved her costume also. It reminded me of a dress I bought on sale at a nice dress shop in Mexico. It is long and covered with brilliantly colored ribbons and tassels and I thought it might make a fairy princess Halloween costume. Now I can dress as Amanda next Halloween!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 3:10 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

Another strong character in the story. Knowing why she had come to the attic, because she had been bullied and beaten by her peers -- makes her strong defense against the Organist even more amazing. Over all those years she had learned how to defend herself.

She was definitely a different kind of board-comber than the boy, though. Instead of always roaming Attica, she had established a home for herself. And she was willing to befriend Alex and spend time with him, as long as he didn't try to get too close to her. She was wonderful at getting Alex to come to terms with his father's death by being a good listener and knowing what to say in response. Really, she seemed almost the opposite of what we had learned about the board-combers up to that point.

Again -- like all of the other characters in the story -- I really liked her.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 4:32 pm 

Yes, Amanda is definitely an interesting character and the perfect person to help Alex with his internal struggle. She was able to give him a different perspective on what it meant to make the decision to live in Attica and what it really meant if he did. It is also interesting that she collected watches, as early on we learn of Alex's fascination with watches as well.

I also have to comment on the owl (symbolizing wisdom perhaps?) who was a nice comic relief...dare I say a hoot? sorry...bad pun alert! Couldn't resist, mate. :blush:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:41 pm 

I thought her condition was rather sad. She had gone to the attic to escape from cruelty, and then still had to face danger and fighting. I expect we will address isolation at some point, so I'll stop here.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:49 pm 

I thought Amanda's explanation to Alex about the balance of time (forward in the real world and backwards in the attic for intruder children) explained what lead her to be fascinated with watches.
I thought it fascinating when she said, "I might go back one day". She realized she could return and no time will have passed so she could stay as long as she needed and her 100 years there would make no difference in the real world.
She proves that her hard loner existence and hard fighting persona has a soft spot for Alex. When Alex first noticed their were no digital watches, it made Amanda realize that they both had preferring mechanical things in common as well as being loners. I think she saw herself in him, before the attic had increased its hold on her, and she wanted to save him her loneliness.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:04 pm 

Amanda was fascinating. She seemed doll like in appearance. Very colorful. Even though she remained in Attica because of her unfortunate life experiences she had not become too embittered. She was able to consul Alex and encourage him to return to his life "down there". Kind of amazing when she said she was 100 years old. Amazing she had retained some sort of saneness and sensitivity. I also admired her for giving the watch to Alex, but, then again, he had more than earned it. And the Organist has taken it from her collection early on. Interesting to have a female board comber written into the story. So appropriate for todays readers. Especially a girl as resourceful as Amanda.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:25 pm 

stroch, you know us well! :cool: We will have a question where the topic of isolation can be addressed. I did feel some sadness about Amanda’s condition, almost a sense of resigned acceptance. While she was able to be the opposite of what she had been down below and stand up for herself against the The Organist, she wasn’t able to take that strength and return to her world.

gemini, I agree that she was trying to save Alex from her lonely existence. I felt like her ability to say “I might go back one day” was almost a brave front. She knew the option existed but she also knew she would never take it. In that sense she was rather sad as stroch said.

deppaura, thank you for using the words “doll like”. I had been searching for a way to picture her after reading the description of her physical appearance. After 100 years in Attica she seemed to be in the middle of a transforming from being human to something else. Doll like fits what I had envisioned.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:26 pm 

I really liked Amanda. She learned how to live and survive in the attic even with all its' dangers. She learned to face situations in the attic that she could not overcome in the real world. At first she was suspicious of Alex, but then began to like him because he didn't offer a threat. She was very lonely and liked the conversations. Alex helped her secure her place in the attic and the only way she could repay his kindness was to convience him that he really belonged in the real world. How sweet after helping him get back to his trap door that she quietly placed the watch in his pocket.

I agree DITHOT that the owl was a "hoot". Pun intended!!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2009 8:29 pm 

Quote:
Alex helped her secure her place in the attic and the only way she could repay his kindness was to convience him that he really belonged in the real world. How sweet after helping him get back to his trap door that she quietly placed the watch in his pocket.

Good point, ladylinn. :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 13, 2009 1:41 am 
JDZ Moderator

Amanda was my favorite character. I found her quite fascinating….mostly due to the fact that she had been there for 100 years. That idea just blew me away. I had a hard time imagining what it would be like to remain in the attic for so long and to be satisfied with that, all the while knowing that you could go back down to the real world and back 100 years. But she was somehow able to convince me that it was right for her. I thought that she was the character to represent wisdom and thus be the one to guide Alex to his destination not only geographically, but psychologically. Interesting how DITHOT mentioned the owl in regards to wisdom. I had not made that connection at all while reading it, although it seems so obvious now. She was sensitive, kind and supportive to Alex despite her history of abuse. And she encouraged him to leave even though it seemed to me that she would have preferred he remain as her companion. It saw it as an extremely selfless act.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 3:31 pm 

Liz, Amanda was my favorite character, too. First, I liked her bohemian style, all the colorful ribbons & feathers, but then I became more interested in her. Hard to imagine a girl as an 'ancient of days,' but she had the wisdom to convince me. I enjoyed discussions she had with Alex, and how she could show him things about himself that he hadn't yet realized. She had maturity, but yet she still had child-like glee over her watch collection. There was a lot to Amanda, even in the short time she was in the story. :applause2: to Garry for creating her!

. . if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it. --C.S. Lewis

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]