William Helmer Q&A #2

Co-author of DILLINGER: THE UNTOLD STORY

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

William Helmer Q&A #2

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:56 pm

ONBC: On page 37 your footnote talks about staged robberies and implies that some of Dillinger's bank jobs were actually staged to benefit the banks. Is there any way to know what percentage of Dillinger's bank robberies were actually of the staged variety; and is there any proof that they were actually staged beyond circumstantial evidence? Or did the banks get away with their crime?

WH: Apparently this occurred in several instances and Dillinger told O’Leary, who mentioned it to Girardin. Greencastle in particular was supposedly a set-up. One or more bank officials, who knew corrupt politicians, who also knew robbers, would inflate their losses to an insurance company. With so many banks failing, insurance associations probably didn’t have time or manpower to mount investigations, or decided it wasn’t worth the effort.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: William Helmer Q&A #2

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:24 pm

It seems so strange to think that Dillinger may have gained a lot of his reputation as a front man for the bankers who were the real crooks! And they apparently got their money and went on their merry way unscathed. :mad:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:57 pm

Of course, Hoover would never have gone after the banks. :grr:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

shadowydog

Unread postby shadowydog » Tue Aug 04, 2009 5:06 pm

Interesting but not surprising that the "good guy" would use the "bad guys" to help them make money. Look at the history of arsen as a way of recovering insurance payments.
I have nothing to do and all day to do it in.

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:25 pm

Crooked bankers, crooked politicians, crooked cops. Man, the more things change, the more they stay the same!! At least JD was an honest crook, making no attempt to disguise what he did. But for that, he took the heat. How depressing. :-/

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Tue Aug 04, 2009 6:29 pm

Not at all surprized by this. I would guess the bank's take was much more than Dillingers! :rolleyes:

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Aug 04, 2009 8:05 pm

RamblinRebel wrote:Crooked bankers, crooked politicians, crooked cops. Man, the more things change, the more they stay the same!! At least JD was an honest crook, making no attempt to disguise what he did. But for that, he took the heat. How depressing. :-/

I am sure the bankers of today would love to have a Dillinger around to blame their latest fiasco on.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:52 am

Can this life experience get any more convoluted?? The "good" guys, helping the bad guys, helping the good guys.?? Guess the whole idea is...HOW WELL YOU PLAY THE GAME!!

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:49 am

gemini wrote: I am sure the bankers of today would love to have a Dillinger around to blame their latest fiasco on.
No doubt, gemini, no doubt!
deppaura wrote: Guess the whole idea is...HOW WELL YOU PLAY THE GAME!!
So true, so sad.. :sad: Gosh, this thread is really hitting a nerve on my cynical side!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:43 pm

I'm with you ladies...the game remains the same only the players have changed.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “William J. Helmer”