It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ] 
 Post subject: William Helmer Q&A #1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:13 am 
JDZ Moderator

Welcome to the Q&A with William J. Helmer. :dillingerhat:

We are all so very fortunate that Bill has agreed to participate in this. And I’m sure you will all join me in a great big :thanks!: to Mr. Helmer. :bounce: We also want to thank our Noodlemantras for providing most of the questions. :thumbsup:

We will post one question & its answer each day. Enjoy and feel free to comment.....

ONBC: (From Shadowydog) Mr. Helmer, I noticed that you were listed as an editor of ARAMCO World. Since I taught in Dhahran Saudi Arabia in the 70s for Aramco, I am curious to know your connection with ARAMCO.

WH: I had no connection with the Aramco corporation itself but Aramco World had an editorial office in NYC, at least for their American magazine, and I was there only 3-4 months (after Escapade) before returning to Texas for grad school.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: William Helmer Q&A #1
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:42 pm 

I suppose Aramco is an oil company since it was in Saudi Arabia. Is that so shadowydog? Your question about Aramco World has made me wonder about his time as editor for Playboy. I wonder now if anyone thought to ask him about that part of his life or were we all, like me, so wrapped up in the Dillinger aspect of his life.

Last edited by gemini on Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:49 pm 

gemini wrote:
I suppose Aarmco is an oil company since it was in Saudi Arabia.

From Wikipedia--
Saudi Aramco is the state-owned national oil company of Saudi Arabia. It is the largest oil corporation in the world with the largest proven crude oil reserves and production. . . It was known as just Aramco between the years of 1933-1988, an acronym for Arabian American Oil Company.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:56 pm 

gemini wrote:
I suppose Aarmco is an oil company since it was in Saudi Arabia. Is that so shadowydog? Your question about Aramco World has made me wonder about his time as editor for Playboy. I wonder now if anyone thought to ask him about that part of his life or were we all, like me, so wrapped up in the Dillinger aspect of his life.

Aramco was the Arabian/American Oil Company formed in the 50s to explore and extract oil from eastern Saudi Arabia. It was (supposed to be) a joint venture between the U.S. oil companies and the Saudi government. When I was there in the early 70s, it was an American owned and operated company. Not too long after, it was nationalized by the Saudi government; as it was during the gulf war and is today. Aramco World was a magazine that published news about the goings on in Saudi during the time I was there and I am not sure for how long afterwards; which is why I was curious as to his connection to the publication.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:37 pm 

shadowydog wrote:
gemini wrote:
I suppose Aarmco is an oil company since it was in Saudi Arabia. Is that so shadowydog? Your question about Aramco World has made me wonder about his time as editor for Playboy. I wonder now if anyone thought to ask him about that part of his life or were we all, like me, so wrapped up in the Dillinger aspect of his life.

Aramco was the Arabian/American Oil Company formed in the 50s to explore and extract oil from eastern Saudi Arabia. It was (supposed to be) a joint venture between the U.S. oil companies and the Saudi government. When I was there in the early 70s, it was an American owned and operated company. Not too long after, it was nationalized by the Saudi government; as it was during the gulf war and is today. Aramco World was a magazine that published news about the goings on in Saudi during the time I was there and I am not sure for how long afterwards; which is why I was curious as to his connection to the publication.

Thanks fansmom and shadowydogy for filling me in on Aramco. Thats interesting. Does nationalized mean physically taken over or did money change hands?

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:46 pm 

gemini wrote:
shadowydog wrote:
gemini wrote:

Thanks fansmom and shadowydogy for filling me in on Aramco. Thats interesting. Does nationalized mean physically taken over or did money change hands?

They physically took over.....not sure about any payments. The proximate cause was the inflation under Carter and the devaluation of the dollar. The Saudis were payed a royalty based on the value of the dollar. When the dollar was devalued, they asked for the royalty to be raised to compensate. The U.S. oil companies refused which then tiggered the take over. Hope we are not getting too far off track here. :blush:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 11:08 pm 

I'll get us back on track....heh heh Just wanted to comment on how great the photo is of Bill. I like that twinkle in his eye that lets me see how he would be a member of the "Dillinger Died for you Society", and maybe an editor for Playboy too. :grin:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 12:32 am 
JDZ Moderator

So what was your question about Playboy, gemini? :grin:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:07 pm 

Liz wrote:
So what was your question about Playboy, gemini? :grin:

It just wondered if anyone had thought to ask him about him working there. ( Or even if it was too late to ask) :blush:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:01 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Actually, gemini, no one asked. But I'll see if he can answer one more question. But I'm not certain if he'll have time as he is rather busy at the moment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:40 pm 

Liz wrote:
Actually, gemini, no one asked. But I'll see if he can answer one more question. But I'm not certain if he'll have time as he is rather busy at the moment.

No problem, It was just a idea that popped into my head.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2009 4:55 pm 
JDZ Moderator

gemini wrote:
Liz wrote:

No problem, It was just a idea that popped into my head.

And a very good one! :cool:

Page 1 of 1 [ 12 posts ]