All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: A reminder of Daniel Depp's appearances & a Zoner report
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:36 am 

Harrogate Festival
Friday July 24th
3.30pm | Shoot the Book | £8
What is it like to write for the screen and what does it feel like when your novel is adapted by someone else? A quartet of successful novelists and screenwriters Neil Cross, Daniel Depp, Frances Fyfield and David Levien, discuss the art and the consequences of book adaptations for TV and film with veteran film writer and broadcaster Barry Norman. They consider the essential differences between writing for page and writing for screen, the qualities that make a novel filmable, and how it’s done.

Edinburgh International Book Festival
Crime Fiction
Join Hollywood insider Daniel Depp as he introduces his darkly comic debut thriller, featuring former stuntman turned private investigator David Spandau. Loser's Town is charged with all the elements of great LA noir - crackling dialogue, fast-paced plot and unforgettable, jaded characters.
Sat 15/08/2009
5:00 PM - 6:00 PM

Last edited by Gilbert's Girl on Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Just a reminder of Daniel Depps forthcoming appearances
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:57 am 
JDZ Moderator

Thanks for the reminder, GG!

I hope that some of our UK Zoners will be able to attend.
:hope:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:18 pm 

"Edinborough International Book Festival"

should be Edinburgh ;-)
As this is my home city I get a tad touchy over spelling and pronunciation :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:45 pm 

Mrs Pink wrote:
"Edinborough International Book Festival"

should be Edinburgh ;-)
As this is my home city I get a tad touchy over spelling and pronunciation :lol:

Sorry I always get it wrong I should know better but I don't :-/

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:34 pm 

Mrs. Pink, will you be able to go to the festival to hear Daniel?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:23 pm 

Hi GG :wave: Thanks for the reminder! When I first read about this, I couldn't make any definite plans because I thought I might have some commitments now, but seeing your reminder has given me a nudge about this, and it turns out I can go to Harrogate, if they still have any tickets. Will check it out tomorrow. :hope:
Thanks again!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:41 pm 

suec wrote:
Hi GG :wave: Thanks for the reminder! When I first read about this, I couldn't make any definite plans because I thought I might have some commitments now, but seeing your reminder has given me a nudge about this, and it turns out I can go to Harrogate, if they still have any tickets. Will check it out tomorrow. :hope:
Thanks again!
As much as I like book festivals, there's no chance of my getting to Harrogate, but I looked at the link to see if there were UK authors whose books I'd be interested in reading. George Pelecanos? Lives in the same county as I do, writes about Georgia Avenue, which I can see out the window here. Laura Lippman? Mentioned my local library in her book of short stories. It's a small world.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 4:03 pm 

Another TZ moment, fansmom? :hypnotic:

suec, that's great you can make the festival. Please report back on your experience!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:48 am 

Yes. I will. :dillingerhat:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:37 am 

Here is the report as promised. Sorry it took me a while to write it.
The crime fiction festival was a blast. The sessions lasted an hour with a number of writers (often 4) discussing questions raised by the chair and at the end, from the audience. Barry Norman chaired Daniel’s session Shoot The Book. Afterwards, the writers retired to the bookshop, also located in the hotel, for book signings and he signed my copy for me. Also, I was able to talk to him for a bit in the hotel bar – where he covered much the same ground as he had during the session,so I have writen up the two together.

On adaptations to screen:
At the time of The Brave he had some personal problems and was already depressed but John phoned him and asked him to come over to work on it and offered payment. (Laughter from audience). The Brave was a bleak horribly depressing story and had him rolling around on the floor biting the carpet. He could see what needed changing as the character was naïve and needed to be made more worldly and cynical so he knows what’s going to happen to him. So straight up, it was a betrayal of the author and what he wrote, but it was necessary for the film to work but he hated doing it because he loves authors. He asked the audience how many people had seen it. I don’t know if anyone put their hands up apart from me as I was sitting right at the front. There were a lot of people there – several hundred at least.

On comparing writing a novel to a screenplay:
They are different media. Film is a director’s medium, not a writer’s medium. A script uses more subliminal messages and is more aural & visual. He professed a fear of audiences and that there was a sense of someone looking over your shoulder but that with scriptwriting, there is the hope that you will pull it off. Later he did say writing a novel was more personal and satisfying.

On adapting Loser’s Town
He talked about when it is made into a film & said he was ‘cranky’ about that . He is writing a screenplay but doesn’t really want to see it made into a film while he’s still writing the series in case the film influences his writing. There was some other discussion by other authors about how that had happened with the Morse books. There was also some discussion about casting. Barry Norman said Johnny was the best film actor of his generation but also very good looking and that it would be a challenge if Johnny were to play Spandau because they’d have to find someone even better looking for Bobby. Daniel didn’t comment on that at all. He did say Bobby was not based on Johnny but was a composite of young actors.

On co-writing
He said he has written 3 screenplays with John and they work well together. They are alike in some ways but different also and in some significant ways. He is good at structure but John works instinctively. He has the best instincts in the business and comes up with something left of field. He was full of praise for Johnny and how supportive and encouraging he had been, and he also raised this again later.

On why a crime novel:
He likes it because it’s not legitimate. You can get away with a tremendous amount of social criticism. Talked about Raymond Chandler being a great moralist and the knight-errant of Philip Marlowe, so it’s a tremendously flexible medium. Later, he said that his book wasn’t a mystery at all, really. Not a whodunnit, more of a whydunnit

Best film version of a novel:
The Big Sleep. He later changed his mind about that and said Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas

The Role of Producers
He volunteered this bit and said no one had asked about them but they played a major part in the structure of a film. He talked about how a structure has to be imposed otherwise it meanders. He talked about The Brave and how he he’d been asked to change bits but had refused.

On Loser’s Town
The Robert Mitchum quote was a lucky find. The book is about mythology, dreams and illusions. Spandau’s escapism is cowboys and the mythology of them. Potts has an illusion about family life. These days, mythology is sold through the media. Commented on Hollywood. What is your dream? I can give it to you. Once I know your dream, I have a handle on you.
Potts is the dark side of Spandau.

Other writers
Len Deighton an influence. Also writing screenplays taught him a lot. He plots out the whole book first, so he knows what will happen throughout and then can put in the foreshadowing. I think he mentioned Chandler’s moral universe here too.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 4:47 am 

I'm adding something here because of having trouble altering the one above for some reason. He also about interpretations of his book and said, you start it, readers finish it. Which I think is pretty appropriate for this place. :grin:
I must also say, very simply, I liked him. A lot. I am very glad I went to meet him so thanks very much for the information.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:10 am 

Very interesting Sue thanks :cool:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 7:50 am 

Thanks for the report Sue, interesting to read about his stubborness on changing the screenplay for The Brave and his disquiet on having to change the Raphael character to suit the film.

I can understand his worries about writing a screenplay for Losers Town as well especially as he has more books to write continuing the series. I hope he gets the 2nd book done soon.

:cool:

Rochester ,"Satyr" on Man

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:01 am 

I wonder what screenplays he and Johnny wrote. Did he mention anything about them?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:27 am 
JDZ Moderator

Suec, I'm so glad that you were able to attend the session and that you could actually talk with him one on one. :cool: Thanks for reporting back on the experience.

suec wrote:
I'm adding something here because of having trouble altering the one above for some reason. He also about interpretations of his book and said, you start it, readers finish it. Which I think is pretty appropriate for this place. :grin:

I like that!

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Page 1 of 2 [ 26 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next