It is currently Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Loser's Town Question #31 ~ Ready for More?
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:02 am 

Are you interested in reading more books in the Spandau series? If so, what would you like to see in future stories?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: Loser's Town Question #31 ~ Ready for More?
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 3:13 pm 

I definitely look forward to more Spandau books as I'm interested in what will happen next with Spandau, Dee, Potts, Ingrid and Bobby. :-O Well, I guess someone's going to Cannes so that will be interesting. And I'm always interested in how people become the people they are so would find it fascinating to learn more about the early lives of everyone, especially the three men. Other than that, I can't think of anything and trust Daniel has many intriguing ideas that are way beyond me! :cool:

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:30 pm 

I'm eager to read more about Spandau and see how his character develops and grows. Like many of you mentioned in earlier threads, I hope we will see Dee and her mother again and Potts. I think we are finished with Bobby Dye, but I could be wrong.

I really enjoyed Depp's writing style and how he has developed his characters so far. I feel as if David Spandau is a real person, in part because I envisioned him - for whatever reason - as looking like a man I know in Houston. So seeing my friend's face as I read made me care even more for Spandau than I might have.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:36 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I’m looking forward to more Spandau novels. I find Daniel’s style of writing very enjoyable. So I’m hoping he doesn’t try to change it. And, like you, Betty Sue, I want to know more of the backstory of the characters and find out what happened to Potts & Ingrid after Chapter 20. I hope we do.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 11:46 pm 

I may have already mentioned (a time or twelve) that I like mysteries, so I'll definitely be back for more. Keep 'em coming! :applause2:

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:13 am 

Boy, I dont know. The story read easily enough but I cant say I like the ending. If like Betty Sue says and we get to see the outcome on Spandau, Dee, Potts, Ingrid and Bobby, curiosity will probably get me to read on. I have a thing about not finishing a series. If Danny just follows Spandau from case to case and has him interact with new people starting with a fresh case like they do on television dectective stories, I might loose interest. I don't know if David Spandau could carry my interest for long. It was the other characters that interested me.

In an interview Danny answered a question about obviously Potts like this.
..-- well, to avoid spoilers, let's just say a character who went on the run for very good reason near the end of Loser's Town -- due to play a part in sequels? After a lot of buildup throughout the book his story seemed to be left hanging somewhat.

I’m asked this question a lot – readers have developed an odd affection for the guy, who was meant to be a minor character but ended up collecting his own fan base! And the answer is… yes. He’ll be back at some point, most likely Spandau 3 or 4. I’m developing a story for him now. My editor once said he’s the nicest multiple-murderer she’s ever read. I’m not quite sure how to take this. Who knew?

This answer makes me think that the next sequel will move on to a different case with new people and maybe in book 3 or 4 we might see Potts. Well then what about the rest of the characters he left up in the air? I hear Babylon Nights is about a depressed actress being stalked by a potential killer in LA and Cannes. Unless Danny is reading peoples comments about being interested in his first set of characters, I think he means to move on.

Last edited by gemini on Mon May 25, 2009 5:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:04 am 

I enjoyed Loser's Town a lot and I will probably read more if the opportunity comes up.

As for Potts and our odd affection/interest in him.......yes, I would like to read more about Potts, both his back story and his future life. But if Daniel has other plans, that might be ok, too. Sometimes things are better left while they are still fresh and good. I think characters can become diluted when they are revived and pushed beyond their natural life. (I saw the first POTC movie 5 times in the theater and many times since then on DVD, Captain Jack was beyond amazing! I went to the third films only once when it came out. :-/ JMHO.)

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 11:54 am 

Whether they get back together :hope: or not, I think Dee will have to have some part in the next book, as she would still be deep in his heart. He would know what's going on with her. And I think Bobby Dye would be mentioned since his fame and Spandau still working in the film world would make his doings known to Spandau, who would probably still care about the kid. But I can see that the long gone Potts might not pop up until a later book (unless Daniel bows to the great fan interest in him). I feel like his fleeing didn't really leave a loose end; I felt like it said he'd screwed up his life for good. :ohno: BUT, I have to agree that I want to hear more about this pathetic guy and how he somehow got it all together eventually.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:09 pm 

A definate YES to reading more Spandau books. As I had said earlier - I have not been a detective story reader. This book really interested me and was an easy read for me. The story line moved right along. I think that Dee and her mother are a solid foundation for Spandau's life and so will be included in the future. As for Potts (he seems to have formed a cult like interest with us) maybe he and Spandau will be on the same side in the future.?? We will wait and see!!!!! Is there a date for the next book to be published?

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:45 pm 
JDZ Moderator

gemini wrote:
..-- well, to avoid spoilers, let's just say a character who went on the run for very good reason near the end of Loser's Town -- due to play a part in sequels? After a lot of buildup throughout the book his story seemed to be left hanging somewhat.

I’m asked this question a lot – readers have developed an odd affection for the guy, who was meant to be a minor character but ended up collecting his own fan base! And the answer is… yes. He’ll be back at some point, most likely Spandau 3 or 4. I’m developing a story for him now. My editor once said he’s the nicest multiple-murderer she’s ever read. I’m not quite sure how to take this. Who knew?

Interesting comments there from Daniel. :-O What interview was that, gemini? I don't think we posted it, and I'd love to read it in its entirety.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 12:55 pm 
JDZ Moderator

ladylinn wrote:
As for Potts (he seems to have formed a cult like interest with us) maybe he and Spandau will be on the same side in the future.?? We will wait and see!!!!! Is there a date for the next book to be published?

Spandau and Potts on the same side--that's an interesting idea. I like it. :cool: He said at the book signing that his publisher wanted the book completed by August. Of course, that really doesn't give us any indication as to when it will actually be published.

There is another way of looking at Potts' outcome, and maybe how Daniel could have been thinking about it when he wrote the ending.....It was all so tragic and obvious that there would be no good ending for Potts, so why not just end it right there, with a little mystery? Not wrapping things up neatly could be a stylistic tool in itself. I know it has been used in screenplays. But it frustrates the heck out of me.

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2009 4:44 pm 

Liz wrote:
gemini wrote:

Interesting comments there from Daniel. :-O What interview was that, gemini? I don't think we posted it, and I'd love to read it in its entirety.

Oh sorry I meant to include the link and forgot. Its from Simon and Schuster UK.

I dont know what to think of Dannys plans for Potts. Somehow I don't see straight shooting Spandau doing anything with Potts after he knows he killed Terry. Maybe they will run into each other before he knows who he is. I really don't want to read about Potts ending up like Terry (strange since he killed him) but knowing Danny I don't see any other outcome if he is around Spandau for long.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 1:13 am 
JDZ Moderator

gemini wrote:
Liz wrote:
gemini wrote:

Oh sorry I meant to include the link and forgot. Its from Simon and Schuster UK.

I dont know what to think of Dannys plans for Potts. Somehow I don't see straight shooting Spandau doing anything with Potts after he knows he killed Terry. Maybe they will run into each other before he knows who he is. I really don't want to read about Potts ending up like Terry (strange since he killed him) but knowing Danny I don't see any other outcome if he is around Spandau for long.

I see it now. We do have it up there. I thought I had read that Q&A. But I guess I quickly skimmed this time (lack of time). :blush: If I had actually read it carefully, I would have known he was talking about Potts. Thanks for pointing it out to us, gemini.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 3:54 pm 

Liz wrote:

There is another way of looking at Potts' outcome, and maybe how Daniel could have been thinking about it when he wrote the ending.....It was all so tragic and obvious that there would be no good ending for Potts, so why not just end it right there, with a little mystery? Not wrapping things up neatly could be a stylistic tool in itself. I know it has been used in screenplays. But it frustrates the heck out of me.

This is how I feel concerning Potts. I would be curious to see Daniel somehow devise some sort of miracle salvation for him. Now THAT would be a test of writing skill. For me, this book introduced me to Daniel Depp. I certainly enjoy his humor and turn of a phrase. I felt that he gave his all in this first novel. I'm curious to see how his work develops and, particularly, in respect to Spandau. It might have been a bit light and trite for me at times. I'm still ruminating. Sort of like you do after seeing a movie. Let it sink in and in time see what lingers in your memory. What seems meaningful after all.

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 6:44 pm 

Sorry to be awol all weekend, I've had out of town company and had a houseful all weekend.

I'll read more of Daniels novels. I'm of two minds about the continuing characters. Spandau for sure and I think Dee and her mother are too entrenched in his life to be ignored, and I'm glad. It almost sounds like Daniel is writing a book featuring Potts and I'm definitely up for finding out what happens to him. Maybe he intended to leave him as a mystery but realizes the readers want to read more about him. I think that is a compliment to his writing. I don't see Potts showing up in Cannes though. I can take or leave Bobby, I feel like his story is told.

deppaura, I felt it was a bit light at times too but the discussion helped me see a few layers that I wouldn't necessarily have found on me onsies.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next