It is currently Sat Apr 19, 2014 6:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ] 
 Post subject: Loser's Town Question #22 ~ Potts
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 7:46 am 

Here we go...let’s discuss Potts.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: Loser's Town Question #22 ~ Potts
PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:12 am 

With knowing everything that Potts is thinking, he just picked me up in that van going up to Wonderland and carried me through his miserable doings right through his escape in the rickety boat. He seemed like a bright, compassionate guy with a good sense of humor and absolutely no self-confidence, thanks to an abusive father. It seemed like such a waste of a life to have such a negative attitude, to be so self-conscious and ill at ease that even grocery shopping or entering a bank was humiliating.
Potts had many endearing qualities: the love for his daughter for whom he would do anything, his honesty with Ingrid about not knowing wines or what fork to use and telling her of his prison time, his pride in his little yard.
He felt the "world was joyless and there was nothing you could do about it," but then some joy in the shape of Ingrid crept in (love how his trust in her was portrayed by his finally revealing his first name), and he had to blow it! :bawl: All he wanted was one last job, one big pay day, and he would go into an honest business and get his daughter. :bounce: He was absolutely sick about doing the job, absolutely stupid to take drugs from Squiers, and it ended in absolute tragedy when he panicked and murdered and lived up to the prophecy that someday he would kill someone.
With the right people along the way, I think Potts could have had a pretty good life. I think our prisons are filled with Pottses. :sad:

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:47 pm 

I found Potts interesting and liked his part in the storyline. He seemed to be of very low esteem and the only thing important to him was his daughter and getting a relationship with her. He was very uncomfortable doing everyday things that most people take for granted (banking, shopping, eating out, using correct utencils). Ingrid seemed to give Potts a new direction and he started to like himself. He shared personal things - name -prisontime - with her. But did she really care for him or just using him to fullfill her own need. Again Potts in a position to be hurt. He seemed to be his own worst enemy. He wants to do the right thing, but something (usually himself) seems to always get in the way.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 2:55 pm 

Potts is the poster boy for insecurity complexes. He sees anything labeled good above his class.
The only good thing in his life is his daughter Brittany. Makes you wonder about his past, what happened to her mother and why she is being raised by her parents. I think Ingrid does love Potts in her way. I even think she craves his wild side maybe because the wild Angelo from her mothers memories, the lover run off by her family, was her real father. Like Betty Sue said, I think Potts really wanted to straighten out his life but fate wasn't letting it happen. Strangely enough I like Potts and I think Danny connected with him in some way.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 3:29 pm 

I guess Potts was the other side of Spandau. Both with crummy fathers. Potts with less self esteem. Maybe his prison time helped "shape" him. Remember Daniel said he named Potts (container) and Spandau (prison). Somehow Potts and Spandau reminded me of one another. Don't know if it was a particular sensitivity in each. Potts represented the low life. His appreciation of the Blue Boy was interesting and telling of his basic character. Both men were explained psychologically. Potts provided another interesting take on Loser's Town. His observations. Wasn't sure I bought the Ingrid/Potts combo. Again, the low life thing. Was he a curiosity initially? Loved his inner dialogue, especially when in the supermarket!! Also his Shakespereian takes with Squiers in the first chapter. Another crazy thing, I could almost smell Potts. I did care about Potts and chapter 20 was quite upsetting.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 6:35 pm 

Quote:
With knowing everything that Potts is thinking, he just picked me up in that van going up to Wonderland and carried me through his miserable doings right through his escape in the rickety boat.
I like the way you put that, Betty Sue, because that's pretty much the same feeling I got. I was hooked on Potts from the get go and kept rooting for him to climb out of the cesspool his life had turned into. I really liked the scenes with him and Ingrid and found them entirely believable. And I laughed so much at his thoughts and observations. Deppaura, that chapter with Potts in the supermarket is one of the funniest things I have ever read. I was gasping for breath and had tears running down my cheeks I was laughing so hard. Then I read it aloud (which isn't easy to do when you are chortling!) to several people and we all agreed that that chapter could stand on its own as a humorous short story.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:27 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Bix wrote:
Deppaura, that chapter with Potts in the supermarket is one of the funniest things I have ever read. I was gasping for breath and had tears running down my cheeks I was laughing so hard. Then I read it aloud (which isn't easy to do when you are chortling!) to several people and we all agreed that that chapter could stand on its own as a humorous short story.

It is interesting how certain chapters of the book take on their own life—the Sunset Strip Tour, The Supermarket and infamous Chapter 20. Speaking of which, Ch. 20 made quite an impact on me. It was all I could think of for a few hours. It was so incredibly disturbing on so many levels. I think it was because the fates of 3 characters I was rooting for were in Potts’s hands. And he is included in the 3. He not only ended the lives of Terry and Allison but pretty much ended his own. And I think I was most disturbed because I had such high hopes for Potts. Things seemed so hopeful to me. I suppose, though, I knew deep down inside that he was doomed. :-/

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 10:29 pm 

For me, Potts was the best written character in the book. I felt like we got to know him better than any other character, maybe that is why some of us felt like we connected with him. I wanted him to crawl out of his hole and find a better way to live but, like Liz, I felt he was doomed. As far as the relationship with Ingrid, I found his part in it more believable that her part but maybe because we were privvy to more of his internal dialogue.

Betty Sue, I like your description of him and why he turned out how he did. :cool:

laydlinn, I think your observation that he was his own worst enemy is right on. Didn't you just want to shake him and say HEY, STOP THAT! :banghead:

gemini, I think Danny connected with him too and that is why, I think, he is so well written and such a human character, if you will.

deppaura, I like your point about Spandau and Potts being opposite sides of the same coin. As far as the names of the characters...we will be revisiting that soon. ;-)

Bix, and everyone who commented on the supermarket scene, I was laughing my head off as well! I even wanted to make it into a tidbit on why grocery stores move the merchandise around like they do (putting the most popular products at the back of the store or in the main walkways) or somehow make it into a question but couldn't quite come up with it. I think that whole episode was hilarious!
:cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 9:39 am 

I really liked the character of Potts. He was rather sweet and misguided. You get a sense early on that he's nothing similar to Squires. Instead he is the flip side of Spandau. Potts and Spandau both got short ends of the stick concerning fathers. And unfortunately our lives are shaped by the people we associate with in this world. Potts ends up going to prison and getting mixed up with a bad crowd and Spandau goes in search of thrills and becomes a stuntman. But I keep thinking both men would have suffered the same fate if not for Beau. Potts just needed someone in his life to be the father he never had, the same as Spandau. Maybe if Potts could have shaken his father's voice, he might have ending up with a happier life and his daughter. It's what Johnny said about Dillinger, he ended up in prison and in the company of a bad sort but things could have been different for him. He might have been a bank teller instead of a bank robber but jail cemented banks in the man's future. Potts just started beating himself up where the father left off.

PostPosted: Sat May 09, 2009 1:40 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Trygirl, that's a good analogy to Dillinger and his time in jail. Apparently, Dillinger said that about himself. And I liked how you explained how Potts and Spandau are the flip side of each other.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 5:06 am 

I liked Potts best of all.he leapt off the page and I liked his honourable protective instincts. What strikes me most is that his fundamental sense of decency is what brought him down and led him committing murder.

Page 1 of 1 [ 11 posts ]