It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Loser's Town Question #20 ~ Style
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:45 am 

What did you think of Daniel’s writing style in Loser’s Town?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: Loser's Town Question #20 ~ Style
PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:29 am 

Not sure how to define his writing style.....the book was readable, but the descriptions dragged a little in spots. I guess I go more for the fast moving stories. Those who don't like the "language" might be turned off.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 2:43 pm 

Have to agree about the "language". Was excessive at times. It even bothered Spandau!! Overall I responded to the humor and punch lines. Maybe I approached the book with pre-approval because this is Johnny's brother and I want to support him and his work. A built in acceptance for the family. I guess kind of silly. I think it was an effortless and entertaining read. I'll now leave the serious analysis for others.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:07 pm 

shadowydog wrote:
Not sure how to define his writing style.....the book was readable, but the descriptions dragged a little in spots. I guess I go more for the fast moving stories. Those who don't like the "language" might be turned off.

I agree, SD. It started off slowly, made it hard to stick with it at the beginning. But then, there was so much going on at the end that it made my head spin! I like it when all the loose ends are tied up, and this one left me dangling a bit (perhaps that was his intention since the story continues).
And, I admit, the language did turn me off.

. . if you simply try to tell the truth you will, nine times out of ten, become original without ever having noticed it. --C.S. Lewis

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 3:43 pm 

Not sure how to characterize Daniel's style, but the two elements that grabbed me the most about this book were the humor and the sweetness. And these were most exemplified in the beginning and in the end, so I enjoyed the book from start to finish. (Agree that a few less :censored: would have been more palatable. :baby: ) I thought starting off with the comedy team of Potts and Squiers was just hilarious, and I was very content with the sweet ending between Dee and Spandau.
Also, I felt Daniel gave us interesting characters that we could care about and great descriptions as well as an enlightening peek behind the curtains of the movie world.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:40 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I don’t know how serious I’ll get on this, but I did like his writing style. I wouldn’t characterize it as lyrical, but I like his way of storytelling. IMHO his style is unique. It is a nice combination of humor, dialog, symbolism, description and setting.

It seems to me that he tells the story in the 3rd person omniscient, where both the reader and author observe the events in the story from a godlike perspective where the reader/author sees and knows everything that is happening including what the characters are thinking and feeling. And at times he makes judgments in his descriptions (not sure what stylist technique that is). I see a hint of Gonzo journalism in there too.

He makes great use of the setting, which was half of the enjoyment of the book for me. His characters came alive for me based on his descriptions, but mostly through the dialog and their thoughts. I was able to forgive the strong language because it was a good device for creating a believable character.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:53 pm 

I haven't finished the book completely yet, am at about 2/3rd, and I am reading the Dutch translation. That might make a difference in the 'strong' language, to me it doesn't sound that excessive, even if somewhat contrived now & then.
I do like the descriptions of situations and surroundings (not in the least because of the Johnny-connections. Like the Basquiat painting; the interior of 'some' trailers; the Viper Room etc. :goodvibes: )
The characters all look like caricatures to me at this point. Maybe they will develop less overdone in the progress of the story.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 5:29 pm 

I am not sure about his style it was an ok read although I probably would not have read it if the authors' name wasn't Depp. :-/ I am not good at analyzing why or why not I like a book. I did like the parts that reminded me of Johnny, I didn't like the physical description of Bobby Dye, but I did enjoy the descriptions of most of the characters and felt the author did a good job. I will probably read the next one to see what happens to Potts.

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:35 pm 

I must be honest - the language in the beginning chapter was rough! But as I kept on reading - I understood that he was building a character. I liked his use of humor and the description of the settings where the story went. Of course all of tidbits about the area certainly helped. I enjoyed the book and it kept my interest - I am not student enough to critique the writing style. I agree with magpie - the ending made my head spin too!! :-O

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 9:32 pm 

Not to worry, we will definitely get into the ending as a question in it's own right! (Like tomorrow! ) :grin:

I enjoyed the book and thought the beginning chapter and the internal and external dialogue with the the two characters and the descriptions of the LA freeways were very entertaining. The language overall was a bit strong but it fit the characters. The book was very character driven which meant more dialogue and less author explained bits, if that makes sense? I'm sure there is a better technical term for that. :lol: Overall I enjoyed the writing style and especially the humor. I'm enjoying it even more given everyone's insights!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:06 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
The book was very character driven which meant more dialogue and less author explained bits, if that makes sense? I'm sure there is a better technical term for that.
I don't know if there's a term for it, DITHOT, but one of the suggestions for beginning fiction writers is "show, don't tell."

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:22 pm 

Daniel's style was easy to read, rather lyrical, and very sharp. He seemed to have a knack for taking a bit of dialogue or a small scene or a little detail of what someone was thinking and telling us volumes about the characters. Like Potts wishing he could get custody of his daughter, in sharp contrast to his occupation and his lousy living conditions. The streets and scenery slowed the story down for me, but it did give some sort of sense of the area, which if far removed from where I live. The language didn't bother me - in fact, I think it drew a more clear picture of the characters. I mentioned in another question that I thought some of the rapid coupling among the male and female characters seemed contrived, but it moved the story along and served a useful purpose for creating the complicated circumstances as the story neared its conclusion. Daniel crafted his story really well. I enjoyed the book a lot. What a refreshing change after the intense intellectual experience of Parallel Worlds. It sure points out the variety of our reading experiences here at ONBC!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 6:25 am 

Once I got into it, for me the story zipped along, I thought it was well-paced, there was lots of dialogue - in some places I even thought it read more like a script than a novel.
I loved the humour and turn of phrase which often made the characters jump off the page and gives them credibility. Yes, the language was definitely colourful in places but did make the characters more believable - I'd hardly expect Potts to speak the Queen's English! :lol:

In short, I liked the style and will look forward to the sequel!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 7:49 am 

fansmom, that is a good way to put it. I think Daniel's experience as a script writer shows.

Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 10:51 am 

Now that I finished reading the book I must correct myself. I liked the writing style in the last part of the book better than the first part. It's a book you don't easily put aside and that's a compliment to the writer.

Page 1 of 2 [ 19 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next