It is currently Wed Nov 26, 2014 2:32 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 
 Post subject: Gordon Dahlquist Q&A #15
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 2:14 pm 
JDZ Moderator

ONBC: While you were writing, did you picture anyone as the model for any of the characters (particularly Johnny Depp for Chang)? Were any of the characters inspired by real people or stories – again, Chang in particular? If not Chang, which character would you have Johnny portray?

GD: I didn't picture anyone when writing the book. Afterwards, all sorts of people suggested themselves to me. Johnny Depp is of course an incredibly versatile performer - I'm sure he could make an excellent Miss Temple, too, if he felt like it. Chang is probably the more obvious role for him, though I also think he'd be a superb Doctor Svenson –suggested perhaps by his role in Sleepy Hollow, but a little more adventurous as things go on.

None of the characters were based on real people per se, or real stories, except in fragments. I fence with heavy period weapons on the weekends, so a lot of the swordplay comes from that "experience". Doctor Svenson's manner is modelled to a very small degree on a playwright friend of mine. Miss Temple's experience in the tropics comes from another person I know.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: Gordon Dahlquist Q&A #15
PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:18 pm 

I read one of your interviews where you mentioned doing "slop fencing" where you throw out the rules. I loved the idea. It is more like how we fenced when we were kids. As for sword play, I think Johnny would be great because he is already ahead of the game from playing Jack Sparrow. I agree, he would make a great Chang, and as you say the Dr. as well. The Doctor didn't fancy himself good with a sword though, but Johnny plays a great wimp who somehow comes through.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:49 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

Nice answer...maybe they could film the movie in a "Parent Trap" way and have Johnny play all three parts! :grin:

I always saw Dr. Svenson as Johnny (but dark instead of white-blonde) in an Ichabod Crane-type way, too. I guess it was because of the Doctor's fear of heights...made him into that flawed-hero type that Johnny does so well.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:22 am 

I am enjoying every one of Mr. Dahlquist's responses, even though some of them have been really surprising. It is wonderful that he has taken his time to share his thoughts about Glass Books with us. It has added a whole new layer of pleasure for me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 3:23 pm 

Yes I too have always pictured Johnny as Svenson.(agree with Theresa - dark not blonde). Not that he couldn't be Chang with his swashbuckling sword, but the Dr. would be more of a challenge. Going from quiet reserved protector to brave and daring protector of his fellow comrades. As he protrayed in Sleepy Hollow, he knows how to take his character from shy to strong never straying from his beliefs of right over wrong or good over evil.

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ]