Glass Books #26 ~ More to Come?...and a few reminders

by Gordon Dahlquist

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Glass Books #26 ~ More to Come?...and a few reminders

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:48 am

This discussion seemed to have zipped by! As much as we hate to leave Celeste, Abelard and Chang behind :bawl:, today is the last formal question for this book. If you all have some unanswered questions you would like to pose, please post them.

I hope you are reading Parallel Worlds! I admit I don't understand it all but I do find it fascinating. Please join us for the discussion - we promise no hard physics questions!

So without further ado...

Would you like to read more books about the adventures of Chang, Svenson and Miss Temple? If so, what would you like to see for our heroes in their upcoming adventures? (If you have read the sequel and plan to comment on it, please use the spoiler button!)

And don’t forget that tomorrow is the last day to email us your questions for Mr. Dahlquist!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Re: Glass Books #26 ~ More to Come?...and a few reminders

Unread postby Theresa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:06 pm

Yes, I would read about the further adventures of the three -- and will, as soon as The Dark Volume is released here in the US. I enjoyed the story and would like to see how their adventure together concludes.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:33 pm

I too would love to continue reading about the adventures of Chang, Dr. Svenson, and Miss Temple so I plan on buying "The Dark Volume" as well. As for future adventures, I think I just want all three of them to find happiness and peace and to finally put the remaining members of the Cabal out of the glass books business. But I'm going to miss these discussions and I haven't decided yet if I'm going to read "Parallel Worlds." :bawl:
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:37 pm

trygirl wrote:I too would love to continue reading about the adventures of Chang, Dr. Svenson, and Miss Temple so I plan on buying "The Dark Volume" as well. As for future adventures, I think I just want all three of them to find happiness and peace and to finally put the remaining members of the Cabal out of the glass books business. But I'm going to miss these discussions and I haven't decided yet if I'm going to read "Parallel Worlds." :bawl:

Oh...go ahead and get it. We can all muddle through together! :blush:
Maybe we can all act out that parallel universe episode of "Star Trek" :lol:

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:54 pm

Well, I have to admit I already have "The Dark Volume" on my huge amazon wish list but I don't think its released until the end of Mar 2009. I have this thing about reading the whole series once I get hooked on a book with characters I like.
What I want from the sequels should be obvious, a little romance for Chang. I think he has certainly earned it. Of course, I would like to see some more adventure, and what is happening with the glass lady who escaped, and if the Contessa made it. I also would like Francis Xonck to come back from the dead..
I've started "Parellel Worlds" and had to start over and read it with a note pad to keep the facts straight in my head.
Last edited by gemini on Fri Jan 30, 2009 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

trygirl

Unread postby trygirl » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:56 pm

Theresa wrote:
trygirl wrote:I too would love to continue reading about the adventures of Chang, Dr. Svenson, and Miss Temple so I plan on buying "The Dark Volume" as well. As for future adventures, I think I just want all three of them to find happiness and peace and to finally put the remaining members of the Cabal out of the glass books business. But I'm going to miss these discussions and I haven't decided yet if I'm going to read "Parallel Worlds." :bawl:

Well, If you guys promise there won't be any hard physics questions then I probably will end up buying it and "attempting" to read it. :hope:
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:18 pm

I would love to read more, but I think I would be just as interested in Chang alone as Chang with the other two. He really was the most interesting character in my opinion and I think an entire series could be based on his adventures. He reminds me a bit of John Rain in the series of books by Barry Eisler. I don't know if I will try to read the Dark Volume, time constraints and all....but I would like the story to pick right up where it left off and go full speed ahead.

I am into the second part of Parallel Worlds. I am doing a whole lot of underlining and circling and writing in the margins. I can only read a very few pages at a time before I have to stop -- brain goes on overload -- I think I am holding on to a fragile thread of understanding. I bought some Universe DVDs from the History Channel that I hope will help me get a little better grasp of the whole concept. It is fascinating stuff.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:19 pm

trygirl wrote:
Theresa wrote:

Well, If you guys promise there won't be any hard physics questions then I probably will end up buying it and "attempting" to read it. :hope:

They won't be coming from me. I'm getting some of what I read (on the surface) but not all. And what I do get, I don't retain. I have to go back and review the highlighted areas. The glossary is a big help, I must say. And even though I don't totally understand it, I find it interesting.

I'm looking forward to reading The Dark Volume and wouldn't mind discussing it here, if we could fit it in to the schedule and there was interest. And it's only 528 pages.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:26 pm

nebraska wrote:I would love to read more, but I think I would be just as interested in Chang alone as Chang with the other two. He really was the most interesting character in my opinion and I think an entire series could be based on his adventures. He reminds me a bit of John Rain in the series of books by Barry Eisler. I don't know if I will try to read the Dark Volume, time constraints and all....but I would like the story to pick right up where it left off and go full speed ahead.

I am into the second part of Parallel Worlds. I am doing a whole lot of underlining and circling and writing in the margins. I can only read a very few pages at a time before I have to stop -- brain goes on overload -- I think I am holding on to a fragile thread of understanding. I bought some Universe DVDs from the History Channel that I hope will help me get a little better grasp of the whole concept. It is fascinating stuff.

I bought the DVD from the History Channel website--the one entitled The Universe: Parallel Universe. I ordered it after I watched the last half on the History Channel when my DH was channel flipping one night.....and there was Michio Kaku on the TV. :-O I haven't had a chance to watch the entire DVD yet. I will wait until I'm done with the book.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Jan 30, 2009 5:56 pm

Liz wrote:I bought the DVD from the History Channel website--the one entitled The Universe: Parallel Universe. I ordered it after I watched the last half on the History Channel when my DH was channel flipping one night.....and there was Michio Kaku on the TV. :-O I haven't had a chance to watch the entire DVD yet. I will wait until I'm done with the book.

I purchased that one and a bunch of others as well, from the History channel during their inauguration sale. Dr. Kaku is on my space and YouTube, too.

suec

Unread postby suec » Sat Jan 31, 2009 5:30 am

I won't be reading anything else by this author. I didn't enjoy reading about the treatment of the women. That one of the main perpetrators is a woman herself did not lessen the impact for me of some scenes to which I had a strong negative emotional reaction. Sorry to be negative about it. But I can't help how I feel on this one. :-/
But thanks again all for the discussion. :cool:
"Luck... inspiration... both only really happen to you when you empty your heart of ambition, purpose, and plan; when you give yourself, completely, to the golden, fate-filled moment."

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sat Jan 31, 2009 11:38 am

I'd have to agree with Publisher's Weekly that the book never quite comes together. I'd probably give him another chance, but only if the second volume is available at the library. :blush:

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Jan 31, 2009 4:48 pm

Liz wrote: I'm looking forward to reading The Dark Volume and wouldn't mind discussing it here, if we could fit it in to the schedule and there was interest. And it's only 528 pages.

I am interested....I am also hooked on Chang and must find out more. I do intend to read this regardless but find it more interesting to discuss the books. I do agree that it might be hard to come by until its out awhile but please keep it on our ONBC list. We have a few books lined up now, maybe if you ask a few books down the line about it.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Jan 31, 2009 7:01 pm

I will definitely read the next one and hope for a bit of a tighter narrative. I am mostly interested in Chang but would like to see the three unite again.

I too am struggling a bit with PW but I've never been a science/math person. I find it fascinating but difficult at times. I'm trying to grasp the bigger concepts and not get to muddled down in the details I don't understand. I watched the dvd, Parallel Universe, before I read the book and it has been most helpful!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:39 pm

Yes - I will definately read "The Dark Volume". :yahoo: Can hardly wait for more adventures with Miss Temple, Chang and Svenson. Want to know who survived the crash - maybe Contessa and others??? Guess we will have to wait until the end of March for it to be available. Hoping for more near misses in battle with the cabel and some romance for/or between a couple of our main characters. :love:
I have been trying to read PW. Whew! My brain hurts!!! As someone said to me "Oh Johnny, why?" :perplexed: No hard questions PLEASE!

Return to “The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters”