It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ] 
 Post subject: A Moveable Feast Question #29 ~ A Role for Johnny
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 8:45 am 

What role would you like to see Johnny play in the film version of A Moveable Feast? Why?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: A Moveable Feast Question #29 ~ A Role for Johnny
PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 1:40 pm 

I had to think a bit about this one as well. When I first read the book, I didn't see Johnny in any of the roles, but on thinking about it, I think maybe Scott would be the right one. Johnny acts so much with his face and eyes that I think he could convey the different aspects of Scott's personality that Hem describes.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:04 pm 

I am with you Kate, my mind went immediately to Scott since he had so many feelings and he worried about his health (being a bit of a hypochondriac), his trouble with his wife, his drinking, and trouble he went through getting his career on track before his wife would marry him. Not to mention he was supposed to be handsome almost to the point of being pretty. Somehow I can just see Johnny doing the scenes where he sends Hemingway out for a thermometer while he complains about being ill.
I think Johnny would excel playing him. Or asking Hemingway if his sexual shortcomings would matter to his wife. Johnny would love it.

I suppose Johnny might like the challenge of being macho Hemingway but somehow I wouldn't like him to do it. He would even have fun with Ezra shuffling his wife, mistress, and being put in a mental institution with his problems.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:37 pm 

gemini wrote:
I am with you Kate, my mind went immediately to Scott since he had so many feelings and he worried about his health (being a bit of a hypochondriac), his trouble with his wife, his drinking, and trouble he went through getting his career on track before his wife would marry him. Not to mention he was supposed to be handsome almost to the point of being pretty. Somehow I can just see Johnny doing the scenes where he sends Hemingway out for a thermometer while he complains about being ill.
I think Johnny would excel playing him. Or asking Hemingway if his sexual shortcomings would matter to his wife. Johnny would love it.

I suppose Johnny might like the challenge of being macho Hemingway but somehow I wouldn't like him to do it. He would even have fun with Ezra shuffling his wife, mistress, and being put in a mental institution with his problems.

I thought of Pound too...but I think he would be a wonderful Fitzgerald. The vulnerability. Johnny would be perfect. Hemingway would certainly be an interesting part to cast....Could Leonardo possible pull it off??? Would love to see these two together again. I thought Leo was great in the Departed...I think he could do it...

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:43 pm 

Kittycat88 wrote:
gemini wrote:

I thought of Pound too...but I think he would be a wonderful Fitzgerald. The vulnerability. Johnny would be perfect. Hemingway would certainly be an interesting part to cast....Could Leonardo possible pull it off??? Would love to see these two together again. I thought Leo was great in the Departed...I think he could do it...

I hadn't thought of Leonardo for Hemingway but I have a feeling he could pull it off. He has the full face and I could see him with the beard like in some of Hemingways later photos with a pretty good resemblence. Even as a younger man with his hair darkened. It would be great to see those two in a film together again.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2008 11:12 pm 

I see Leo more as Scott? My role for Johnny is a narrator. Not Hemingway, but an omniscient voice that tells the story of all the characters and of the city during that time, a neutral observer if you will.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 12:44 am 
JDZ Moderator

I can see him as Fitz. And I think he would want to play Scott. But I think he fit the description and actually looks like Wyndham Lewis, who “wore a wide black hat, like a character in the quarter, and was dressed like someone out of La Boheme.”

DITHOT, narrator is an interesting idea.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:24 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
I see Leo more as Scott? My role for Johnny is a narrator. Not Hemingway, but an omniscient voice that tells the story of all the characters and of the city during that time, a neutral observer if you will.

What a great idea! I can see Leo as Scott as well, and I think that Johnny would be a great narrator.

Page 1 of 1 [ 8 posts ]