It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 9:07 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: Re: It's the anniversary of the birth of Arthur Rimbaud
PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:50 am 

:thanks!: gemini for the report on Total Eclipse. I think maybe I should read some of Rembaud before watching the film. Boy some of those poets that Johnny admires died young and horridly...I am thinking of Wilmot and I know there were others.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:01 pm 

He was a tragic soul to be sure. As I recall from the research on the tidbit there were some accusations of violent behavior. Thanks for the review, gemini. I'm sure it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:37 pm 

Well, I had NO luck today finding either the movie or any books of Rimbaud's poetry (or Verlaine's for that matter). Shame on Blockbuster; shame on my public library! :mad:
Thanks for your movie review, Gemini. I want to see it more than ever now! I'm a big fan of Leonardo's - I've never been disappointed by him in any of his films, even when the subject matter has not been to my taste. Like Johnny in The Libertine...a flawed film (IMO) but a stunning performance nonetheless. Of course I realize my desire to see Total Eclipse and/or to lay my hands on Rimbaud's poetry is only enhanced by the fact that I can't accomplish either of those things at the moment. Similar to Rimbaud's approach to life me thinks - wanting wanting wanting what's just out of reach! :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:39 pm 

Since I reviewed the film Total Eclipse , I just finished reading Arthur Rimbaud the complete works and found his writing extraordinary. After seeing how cruel and indifferent he was in the film, I found it amazing that he could write with such feeling. Besides his writing there were many letters in the book to Rimbaud from his friends and from him to his friends and his family. The letters tell the story of his life in his own words. I was really touched by his life after reading the book, much more than I was from the film.

I really started feeling sorry for him reading the book, where the film showed him more vengeful. He truly had a hard life and died at 37 after having his leg amputated. Just what he went through surviving that in such a backward county and some of the places he lived and worked made me feel how tragic his life was.

I just thought that I would add this to show my opinion of him was much more understanding after seeing what he wrote. There is more balance in comparing the rest of his life and just not how he lived his life during the short time he wrote while involved with Verlaine which was covered in the film.

Last edited by gemini on Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:04 pm 

Oh good! I'm glad your opinion of him is better from reading his works and letters, etc.. That's cool! It's too bad the film didn't capture the more humane aspects of his sensitive soul...but from what I gather Verlaine was a real piece of work; not easy to contend with. So maybe he brought out the worst in young Arthur. And I wonder how much guilt he (Rimbaud) felt about turning Verlaine in to the authorities for assaulting him. Homosexuality was a crime back then, imprisonable, so accusing someone of such an assault would naturally lead to an accusation of homosexuality as well. I recall the tragic story of Oscar Wilde in that same situation, although there was no violence involved. Perhaps it was Rimbaud's guilt that led him to such risky, self-destructive behavior after that...?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:14 am 

I rewatched Chocolat, not that I need a reason, but I wanted to hear Rimbaud's name. Is his name mentioned when Amande gives the book of poetry to her grandson? I didn't hear it if it was. Can someone :please: enlighten me as to when his name is mentioned.
Thank you

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 9:42 am 

After re-reading Une Saison en Enfer & Le Bateau Ivre (A Season in Hell & The Drunken Boat)) as well as Illuminations, struggling along in the original French, I agree with gemini. Rimbaud was an amazing and truly tragic figure. The hallucinogenic intensity of his poems reveal the depth of his feelings, as well as his visionary intelligence. Small wonder he led such a short and extraordinary life.
Bet all that absinthe didn't contribute to emotional stability, either...

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2008 2:08 pm 

Parlez wrote:
Oh good! I'm glad your opinion of him is better from reading his works and letters, etc.. That's cool! It's too bad the film didn't capture the more humane aspects of his sensitive soul...but from what I gather Verlaine was a real piece of work; not easy to contend with. So maybe he brought out the worst in young Arthur. And I wonder how much guilt he (Rimbaud) felt about turning Verlaine in to the authorities for assaulting him. Homosexuality was a crime back then, imprisonable, so accusing someone of such an assault would naturally lead to an accusation of homosexuality as well. I recall the tragic story of Oscar Wilde in that same situation, although there was no violence involved. Perhaps it was Rimbaud's guilt that led him to such risky, self-destructive behavior after that...?

I thought I would point out after reading your post, since I seem to have omitted it in my review of the film, how I felt about Verlaine. He, in my opinion, was much worse than Rimbaud but in a different way. He did love Rimbaud but treated his young pregnant wife like dirt. He was so in love with Rimbaud that he became obsessed and the scene about Stein begging Alice seemed mild in comparison.

I did want to say that Rimbaud (in the film) only turned Verlaine into the police after Verlaine had shot him in the hand. In the book after a hospital visit, Rimbaud wanted to leave for Paris and Verlaine who still had the gun made a threatening motion and Rimbaud ran to the nearest policeman and that was how Verlaine was turned in.

Verlaine mentioned to the police that his wife accused him of an affair with Rimbaud and the police pursued the matter.

Buster Yes, I agree whole heartedly with your view that Rimbaud had visionary intelligence. It was also so amazing that he did all of his writing when he was so young. Some of it in the book started when he was 14 years old. He did all his wiritng in a very short few years in his teens and early twenties.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:05 am 

gemini wrote:
Since I reviewed the film Total Eclipse , I just finished reading Arthur Rimbaud the complete works and found his writing extraordinary. After seeing how cruel and indifferent he was in the film, I found it amazing that he could write with such feeling. Besides his writing there were many letters in the book to Rimbaud from his friends and from him to his friends and his family. The letters tell the story of his life in his own words. I was really touched by his life after reading the book, much more than I was from the film.

I really started feeling sorry for him reading the book, where the film showed him more vengeful. He truly had a hard life and died at 37 after having his leg amputated. Just what he went through surviving that in such a backward county and some of the places he lived and worked made me feel how tragic his life was.

I just thought that I would add this to show my opinion of him was much more understanding after seeing what he wrote. There is more balance in comparing the rest of his life and just not how he lived his life during the short time he wrote while involved with Verlaine which was covered in the film.

Hey, I'm curious which Rimbaud Complete Works you read? I know there's one edited by Paul Schmidt, called, Arthur Rimbaud: Complete Works. There's another translated by Wallace Fowlie and edited by Seth Whidden, entitled, Rimbaud: Complete Works, Selected Letters, a Bilingual Edition. And there's another called, Rimbaud Complete (Modern Library Classics), translated by Wyatt Mason.
I've read some reviews on amazon on all of these, and all three of them seem to have mixed reviews. Since I see you enjoyed yours, I'm wondering which one it was. (Maybe it wasn't even one of those 3, haha). Thanks.

I just finished reading A Time of the Assassins, by Henry Miller. It's all about Rimbaud and just the general state of poetry in which he is disappointed in. It was a great read, and I'd definitely say check it out to anyone who enjoyed Rimbaud's work. Ironically, I have yet to even read any of his work yet, but only the certain passages or lines that Henry Miller included in his own book. I love Rimbaud's line, "The soul must be made monstrous." There's much more to that whole passage that I don't really have time to explain, but it definitely had it's way with me.

Anyways, I'd love to hear which Rimbaud Complete Works you have read.

Thanks, see ya,
Dia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:18 am 

Oooh, thanks for the book tip, dia! I'll look for that Henry Miller title the next time I'm at the library! I perused the Rimbaud book by Schmidt at Barnes&Noble yesterday and it looked like a keeper, though I didn't buy it. But I might. I particularly liked reading some of Rimbaud's letters, and, of course, his poems are extraordinary. Very touching. But I'm not sure if that's the book Gemini is talking about....we'll have to stay tuned.
Meanwhile, Welcome Aboard!! :bounce:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:02 pm 

Parlez, I have the Schmidt book but am ashamed to say I've never read it right through, just dipped in and out. But what I have read was worth the time! I bought it because it has connections with my other Mr D who used to post as Rimbaud and occasionally as Lonely Verlaine.

Solace in the flood

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:07 pm 

Thanks, Endora! But I'm confused by the reference to your 'other Mr D' who is/was apparently enamored of Rimbaud and Verlaine. Are you talking about Johnny, or someone else? Just curious!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:35 pm 

Sorry ladies, I am late catching up today. It is the Arthur Rimbaud complete works translated by Paul Schmidt that I read. It is most likely the one you had hold of Parlez. Mine is a library copy which I must return soon. The letters in the back of the book, especially to his family, I think were the best. His writings were in groups starting with his childhood which I thought was interesting.
Dia, now that you mention others I think I may have a look but I can't tell which is best as this is the only one I've read.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 11:50 pm 

Ok, thanks a lot everyone.
I do have another question though. Did your book have "A Season in Hell," and "Illuminations" ?
It appears on amazon.com that the book does not contain it, and I thought those were his two most popular works.
Thanks again.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:43 pm 

Dia wrote:
Ok, thanks a lot everyone.
I do have another question though. Did your book have "A Season in Hell," and "Illuminations" ?
It appears on amazon.com that the book does not contain it, and I thought those were his two most popular works.
Thanks again.

Yes, The complete Works, the Paul Schmidt translation is divided into 8 seasons each including many of his writings and some letters. The first season is childhood. The 6th season is called The Damned Soul and it includes "A Season in hell". I looked thrrough all the titles of each one and could not find "Illuminations" . I guess his complete works is not very complete unless it is listed under another name.

Profile WWW  

Page 2 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3  Next