It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: A Moveable Feast Question #15 ~ A Friendly Chat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:51 am 

If you could sit down and have a conversation with one of the characters in A Moveable Feast who would it be and why?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Post subject: Re: A Moveable Feast Question #15 ~ A Friendly Chat
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 1:09 pm 

My first choice would be Sylvia Beach, hopefully inside Shakespeare and Company. What could be better than a long chat with a bookseller noted for her generosity and camaraderie?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:56 pm 

Well, it wouldn't be Gertie, that's for sure! :freaked:
I'd have a sit-down with Hadley actually...find out what her take is on Paris and the whole literary scene...find out what she loves, what she wants, what she does with her time...and what it's like being a 'wife' in the 1930's. I'd like to say I could enlighten her, but I was very much the same shadowy, ever-cheerful, all-loving, all-supportive, domestic, wifely figure when I was married too. So maybe we'd have that in common. In any case, she seems like a person who could have used a confidant and a friend back then.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:40 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Buster and Parlez, I would have loved to have chatted wth those two gals, also, for the same reason’s you’ve mentioned. I would love to talk books with Sylvia. This question is a very difficult one for me because I can’t decide on just one. And I would want to talk to Gertie because I would like to see for myself what the woman was like.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 6:43 pm 

I'll meet you at Shakespeare and Co., buster! Sylvia was my first choice. I think she would just be a fascinating person to discuss books, authors and Paris in the 20's. I would like to meet Gertie too, I think she would be just as interesting. Of the guys I would choose Ezra Pound or F. Scott just because they seemed to be such larger than life people with lots to say. Okay...I should have asked the question which characters :lol:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 7:45 pm 

I agree with Parlez. Hadley seemed like a lovely woman and I think she would have a lot of insight to Hem and the others.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:43 pm 

I think Gertie might have been interesting to listen to, but I'm sure she'd put me in the "wife" category and wouldn't have been interested in anything I'd say, so for a real conversation, I'd have to go with Hadley, too.

Or Alice and I could swap recipes . . . :lol:

Or Zelda. . . hmmmm . . .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:10 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I would want to meet Alice because I feel some compassion for her and admire her. I would also have to meet Picasso just because he’s Picasso! But then I would be tongue-tied with him…..not so much with the others. I would want to meet F. Scott because he is F. Scott—larger than life. :notworthy: He was one of my favorite authors and made such an impact on Hunter. But I think I would want to meet Zelda more because I know more about her now and have my doubts that she was really crazy. So I would want to see for myself. I think I have the hunger for meeting these types and co-existing with them as Hemingway did.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:18 pm 

Liz wrote:
But I think I would want to meet Zelda more because I know more about her now and have my doubts that she was really crazy. So I would want to see for myself.
Have you seen ads for the new Angelina Jolie movie "The Changeling," Liz? On an NPR review of the movie the other day, they mentioned that unruly women in the 1920's were sometimes committed for insufficient reasons--

". . . has Christine sent to a psychiatric ward, where she meets other women who've been committed simply because they annoyed a cop."

Of course that reminded me of Zelda.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:55 pm 
JDZ Moderator

fansmom wrote:
Liz wrote:
But I think I would want to meet Zelda more because I know more about her now and have my doubts that she was really crazy. So I would want to see for myself.
Have you seen ads for the new Angelina Jolie movie "The Changeling," Liz? On an NPR review of the movie the other day, they mentioned that unruly women in the 1920's were sometimes committed for insufficient reasons--

". . . has Christine sent to a psychiatric ward, where she meets other women who've been committed simply because they annoyed a cop."

Of course that reminded me of Zelda.

I'm so out of the loop when it comes to movies, unless it's a Johnny movie. I had heard the name (The Changeling), but didn't know anything about it. But I am not surprised at all. It seems that there was another woman mentioned in one of our tidbits who was committed to an institution without much cause. I can't for the life of me remember who it was or in what tidbit, although I think it was one of DITHOT's tidbits. I CRAFT.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:27 pm 

Liz, was it Francis Farmer? She was an actress back in the day who was commited to an insane asylum in LA for being 'hysterical'. Just a guess... They made a wonderful film about her life starring Jessica Lang.

And oooh - Picasso! I would never be so bold as to attempt to chat over a cup of tea with him but I'd sure like to in the same room (nay, studio) with that man! Just to watch him - that face - would be exquisite! Like being in the same room with Johnny! :heart:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:27 am 
JDZ Moderator

Parlez wrote:
Liz, was it Francis Farmer? She was an actress back in the day who was commited to an insane asylum in LA for being 'hysterical'. Just a guess... They made a wonderful film about her life starring Jessica Lang.

No, it was someone from one of DITHOT's tidbits. And I just figured out who....Vivienne Eliot, T.S. Eliot's wife. Remember? She was the one with the PMS. :banghead:

"She was temperamental, full of life, restless. She suffered from extreme mood swings, pains and cramps; her condition was diagnosed as hysteria. From 1930 until her death in 1947 she was confined in mental institutions."

Jessica Lang was really good in that movie, BTW.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 12:05 am 

I wish you had let us pick interesting people from all our tidbits. There were a few good ones that weren't characters in AMF. I guess if we have to stick with characters then, Ezra Pound or like Liz, I would have to include Fitzgerald.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 2:58 pm 
JDZ Moderator

gemini wrote:
I wish you had let us pick interesting people from all our tidbits. There were a few good ones that weren't characters in AMF. I guess if we have to stick with characters then, Ezra Pound or like Liz, I would have to include Fitzgerald.

Go for it, gemini. Who from the tidbits would you like to chat with?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 3:02 pm 

I'd chat with one who was an observer. The waiter who had to shave his moustache off, the one who served the enormous whiskies: A fly on the wall view of people who didn't recognise they were being watched.

Solace in the flood

Page 1 of 2 [ 25 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next