It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next
 Post subject: It's the anniversary of the birth of Arthur Rimbaud
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 5:29 pm 

It's the anniversary of the birth of the poet Arthur Rimbaud, born in Charleville, France in 1854. :happybday:

In the tidbits for Chocolat, we read this--

Post subject: Re: It's the anniversary of the birth of Arthur Rimbaud,
PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:45 pm 

What an interesting fellow. I missed the Chocolat discussion so this is the first time I saw the tidbit on Rimbaud. I am glad he had a birthday and I got to go back and read about him. I think I'll even watch the film "Total Eclipse" now that you have aroused my interest. I like Leonardo DiCaprio and missed this one.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 7:50 pm 

When I saw the title of your post I thought I would go dig up the link to the tidbit but there it was! Thanks, fansmom. :cool: Rimbaud was a very interesting fellow indeed.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 10:56 pm 

How interesting! I knew the name, it being referenced by Dylan in one of my favorite songs, and I figured the guy must've been unique to gain a place in Dylan's lyrics (before he started name-checking everyone). But I had no idea... Wow. What a twisted, brilliant young man. Verlaine sounds like even more of a wild card. Yikes. :freaked:

Thanks for the tidbit and the sampling of poems, which I love, and for the heads up about a DiCaprio movie I've never heard of! :cool:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 4:46 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Parlez wrote:
How interesting! I knew the name, it being referenced by Dylan in one of my favorite songs, and I figured the guy must've been unique to gain a place in Dylan's lyrics (before he started name-checking everyone). But I had no idea... Wow. What a twisted, brilliant young man. Verlaine sounds like even more of a wild card. Yikes. :freaked:

Thanks for the tidbit and the sampling of poems, which I love, and for the heads up about a DiCaprio movie I've never heard of! :cool:

And on the 2nd page of A Moveable Feast, Hemingway points out that the hotel in which he rented a room to write was the hotel where Verlaine died. :-O

I haven't heard of Total Eclipse either. I'll look for it this weekend.

Happy Belated Birthday to Rimbaud. Thanks, Fansmom, for providing the link to the tidbit.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: It's the anniversary of the birth of Arthur Rimbaud
PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 9:32 pm 

Thank you so much for all this great information. The knowledge and learning is infinite, I have learned so much and it just keeps getting better and better. :reader: I have Johnny to thank for opening up worlds that I would never have known existed if it weren't for him. I know this has been said before but I wonder if he realizes how much he has done for us, I will never be able to thank this man enough for all he has done for me. :heart:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 10:59 pm 
JDZ Moderator

flo116 wrote:
Thank you so much for all this great information. The knowledge and learning is infinite, I have learned so much and it just keeps getting better and better. :reader: I have Johnny to thank for opening up worlds that I would never have known existed if it weren't for him. I know this has been said before but I wonder if he realizes how much he has done for us, I will never be able to thank this man enough for all he has done for me. :heart:

Methinks the man is too humble to comprehend the impact he has had on us, which makes me like him all the more.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:37 pm 

I watched Total Eclipse tonight - made me want to see DiCaprio in Gilbert right afterwards, though, in honor of the season, I watched Ninth Gate instead...

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:28 am 
JDZ Moderator

Buster wrote:
I watched Total Eclipse tonight - made me want to see DiCaprio in Gilbert right afterwards, though, in honor of the season, I watched Ninth Gate instead...

Gotta see that movie! I didn't forget this past weekend. I was just too busy.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 5:37 pm 

I just received Total Eclipse where I found it cheap on ebay. I haven't had the chance to watch it yet though. What did you think of it Buster?

Last edited by gemini on Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 7:41 pm 

Yes, Buster, let us know what you though of Total Eclipse. I was going to borrow it from the library but they don't have it. Is it worth buying?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:17 pm 

My copy was very inexpensive, so yes, it was definitely worth buying.
It illuminates the early part of Rimbaud's life, and is quite explicit about the nature of his relationship with Verlaine. Both DiCaprio and David Thewlis deliver convincing performances, though it took me a while to relax about DiCaprio's (non)accent.
Bottom line - I am re-reading Rimbaud. Any film that sends me back to the original sources is just fine with me.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 10:48 pm 

WooHoo! Let's have a Rimbaud weekend! In the absence of our fearless leaders and further AMF questions, shall we delve into the twisted life and work of this extraordinary chap? I think he would fit in just fine with Halloween...kinda scary but oh so compelling. :gollum:
Well, I can't find Total Eclipse anywhere around here, so I'll have to settle for reading. I'm going to the library tomorrow to look for the books you guys (Buster and Gemini) have mentioned. Wish me luck! :hope:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:19 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I expect essays from all of you when we return, you know. :grin:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 29, 2008 11:54 pm 

I dont know about an essay but here is what my feelings are about the film. Please dont confuse my opinion of the film with my opinion of his work which is brilliant. I just thought I would let some of you know what it is about who are thinking of buying it. Here is my review.

I watched Total Eclipse tonight and let me tell you it is not everyone's cup of tea. The story is about gay lovers Rimbaud and Verlaine and its graphic. I do have to say that the acting was good but the story hard to watch. Rimbaud was portrayed as a cruel, rude, obnoxious young man searching to experience everything so he could write about it. He seemed to have a death wish but the story does seem to follow what I read of his real life online. He hated his stern mother and it showed in his feelings towards women. It was not shown in the film but he was raped by soldiers in real life and seemed to have had a rough life. He does seem to be a geniuis but I wondered if his genius wasn't close to insanity.

I think my favoirte part was in the end of the film when Verlaine tore up Rimbauds sisters address. She wanted him to send her all of Rimbauds writings so she could edit out his more colorful ones that she though immoral so they could never be published. I hate censorship and it was the one time in the film when I did agree with Verlaine.

I am reading Rimbaud the complete works and there is not much doubt he was extremely intelligent and could write but I don't know if he had to live the short wild life he did to accomplish it.

Johnny and Rimbaud both liked to drink absinthe. Rimbaud wrote the following dedication to absinthe: "Come, the Wines go to the beaches, and the waves by the millions! See the wild Bitter rolling from the top of the mountains! Let us, wise pilgrims, reach The Absinthe with the green pillars."

Profile WWW  

Page 1 of 3 [ 39 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2, 3  Next