It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: 2009 with ONBC
PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 11:46 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Attention Noodlemantras….

DITHOT and I have a great line-up for 2009.

So be sure to book your 2009 calendars with our next 3 selections:

We begin with…..

The Glass Books of the Dream Eaters
by Gordon Dahlquist

On August 25, 2008, The Hollywood Reporter announced that (Jayson) “Rothwell, repped by Paradigm and Zero Gravity Management, is writing "Glass Books of the Dreameaters" [by Gordon Dahlquist] for Warner Bros. and Johnny Depp's Infinitum Nihil.”

Tidbits begin on January 12

Discussion begins on February 9

NOTE: Look for more information on how to acquire Glass Books in a separate post to follow next week, pending more information from Random House. There will be several ways to order this book (or books).

Next up….

Parallel Worlds
by Michio Kaku

Click here to go to Amazon.

In the wee hours of the morning on August 30, 2008, Johnny shared with Noodlemantra Charlene that he was currently reading Parallel Worlds. Johnny: “It’s a bit scientific, but it’s good.”

Tidbits begin March 23rd

Discussion begins sometime in April

And to gear up for the opening of Public Enemies…..

John Dillinger – the Untold Story
by G. Russell Girardin and William J. Helmer

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Click here to go to Amazon.

Tidbits to begin sometime in May

Discussion in June

NOTE: I believe that either the hardback or “expanded” paperback will do.

In the meantime…

TIDBITS FOR A MOVEABLE FEAST WILL BEGIN ON SEPTEMBER 15, AND THE DISCUSSION WILL BEGIN ON OCTOBER 13.

J’taime Paris!
:artist:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: 2009 with ONBC
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:46 am 

Oh, good, so we're adopting them all! I'm scared by Parallel worlds, but we're not going to let the world say that Depp fans aren't up to a challenge :lol:
And the second Dillinger book will be great to refresh the memory and help us identify bits in the movie that may not come from BBs book. :cool:
Thanks, ladies!

Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tom Wingfield, Glass Menagerie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:14 am 
JDZ Moderator

Glad you're in, teacher. :bounce:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:19 am 

Liz wrote:
Glad you're in, teacher. :bounce:

I missed the last couple of books but read the tidbits and the discussions and I'm definitely in for these. Otherwise I feel my mind beginning to rust, stuck in a Upper-Intermediate English classroom all the time. :zzz:

Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tom Wingfield, Glass Menagerie

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:47 am 

teacher wrote:
I'm scared by Parallel worlds, but we're not going to let the world say that Depp fans aren't up to a challenge :lol:

Agreed !!

I have already read John Dillinger - The Untold Story... excellent read and just in time for the movie.

Time to get :ONBC:

Thanks for the update Liz. :cool:

I'd rather have a moment of wonderful, than a lifetime of nothing special. April 7, 2008

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 11:40 am 

Lucky13 wrote:
I have already read John Dillinger - The Untold Story... excellent read and just in time for the movie. Time to get :ONBC: Thanks for the update Liz. :cool:

:highfive:
Wow~ me too Lucky 13. I found it more interesting and entertaining than Public Enemies for sure. But of course, it's all about Dillinger ... :grin:

I've been reading Hemingway -- "viva la France" -- and I'm just loving it immensely. I'd forgotten how much I enjoy reading his work.
The 2009 line-up is looking to be veeery interesting. And I'm off ... :ONBC:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:01 pm 

What a great line-up!!!!!!!! I have read the Dillinger book, it is wonderful and I look forward to reading it again.

My copy of A Moveable Feast seems to be lost in transit :bawl: , so I picked up Glass Books of the Dream Eaters a couple of nights ago. The writing is incredible, I am really enjoying it.

We are going to have so much fun!!!!!! :bounce:

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 1:56 pm 

nebraska wrote:
What a great line-up!!!!!!!! I have read the Dillinger book, it is wonderful and I look forward to reading it again.

My copy of A Moveable Feast seems to be lost in transit :bawl: , so I picked up Glass Books of the Dream Eaters a couple of nights ago. The writing is incredible, I am really enjoying it.

We are going to have so much fun!!!!!! :bounce:

You and I are on the same wavelength Nebraska. I loved "Dillinger the untold story" the best of the Dillinger books. I loved the way Girardin writes. I will have to read it again by May. I just read "A Moveable Feast" and have the other two on the way from amazon. Wow, some great discucussions to look forward to. :bounce:

Last edited by gemini on Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 2:31 pm 

I am enjoying A Moveable Feast...looking forward to the dicussion.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:35 pm 

:-O :zoner: I'm off to amazon so I can :noodlemantra: and join the :ONBC: !!!!

I'm excited. :innocent:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:05 am 
JDZ Moderator

Inthezone and Kittycat, glad you are enjoying AMF. I’m looking forward to your joining us for the discussion. I think it will be a fun one. Nebraska, there is still plenty of time to get your book. It is a really quick read…..after TCD and PE.

Before you all go to Amazon for Glass Books, there are some things you should know. We will be reading the entire thing, which will entail Volume 1 and Volume 2, which I have had verbal clarification from Random House that the 2 combined equal the original hardback. So you will have the choice of the hardback or of Vol. 1 and Vol. 2 in paperback. I have also received verbal confirmation that the release dates of Dec. 30 and Jan. 27 for Vol. 1 and 2 respectively are firm dates. I am awaiting instructions on how to acquire these books for our international Noodlemantras through Random House. I am expecting to get that information tomorrow, along with written confirmation on all of this via email. I have been told by a couple of people at Random House that there are plenty of the hardback copies available through their website for those of you in the US, with shipping charges deferred by way of a promotional code, which I will also give when I get the final email confirmation. And there are still hardbacks available through Amazon at a very good price ($17.16). But you cannot locate the hardback by plugging in the name. So use the ISBN, which is: 9780385340359 or click here to go to Amazon There are only 3 books in stock at the moment, but it says that more are on the way.

At Random House it is selling for $26.00. Click here to go to Random House

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:13 am 

Ooh, I wanna jump in! These all sound like great books, can't wait! :disco:

Profile YIM 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:20 am 

I just purchased a copy of "Glass Books of the Dream Eaters" in hardback at my local 2nd hand book store. The price was right $8.00. I also have read "John Dillinger-the untold story" awhile back when Johnny was still shooting the film. A good book with the along side to "Public Enemies" because it gave us more of Dillinger's life, and it looks like Johnny was doing more research for his role.

I think it's kind of interesting of the different styles of books Johnny has us reading, and also getting a full library of books as well....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 6:01 am 

Hi Liz,

I have a question because I am a bit confused. :-?
I am reading the Penguin Paperback issue of The Glass Books of the Dreameaters, but there is no (volume 1) printed on the cover.. It has 10 chapters and the last chapter is Inheritrix. Is this the volume 1?
On the Penguin website there is also a "next" Glass book with the title
"The dark volume" is this volume 2? :blush:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:55 am 

I'm glad to see everyone is excited about our new calendar! We are looking forward to seeing everyone and others too! Everyone is always welcome to jump in any time. :bounce:

IngridN, I have the original hardback copy of Glass Books and the last chapter is Chapter 10, Inheritrix, so I think you have the full version.

I have really been enjoying Hemingway and A Moveable Feast. I wish I could visit Paris in the 1920's and Shakespeare and Co.! By the way, Liz, Johnny looks right at home at the cafe!
:cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Page 1 of 2 [ 23 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next