It is currently Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What Johnny is Reading Right Now
PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:46 pm 
JDZ Moderator

nebraska wrote:
I must admit this book has me scared.........but I am already trembling at the idea of Hemingway - that is a new venture for me as well. ONBC is about learning and growth for me - and if Johnny finds this book worthwhile, I think it is worth a shot. After Club Dumas, I feel like we can tackle most anything.

I'm thinking of ordering it from the library and starting to read a bit of it to see if I can handle it (I've never taken Physics although I used to type Astrophysics dissertations on black holes and whatnot at UC Berkeley). Then I can report back. My problem with doing Glass Books in February is that Vol. 1 doesn't come out until Dec. 30. So is a month enough time for everyone to read 464 pages (or whatever it is)?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 10:56 pm 

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:
I must admit this book has me scared.........but I am already trembling at the idea of Hemingway - that is a new venture for me as well. ONBC is about learning and growth for me - and if Johnny finds this book worthwhile, I think it is worth a shot. After Club Dumas, I feel like we can tackle most anything.

I'm thinking of ordering it from the library and starting to read a bit of it to see if I can handle it (I've never taken Physics although I used to type Astrophysics dissertations on black holes and whatnot at UC Berkeley). Then I can report back. My problem with doing Glass Books in February is that Vol. 1 doesn't come out until Dec. 30. So is a month enough time for everyone to read 464 pages (or whatever it is)?
It would be for me--if Amazon is accurate this time. I chose a book for a face-to-face book club a couple of months ago, in part because Amazon said it would come out in paperback in May. As soon as I chose it, Amazon changed the paperback release to September. :banghead: I think we've all had similar experiences.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:52 pm 

Go for it, Liz! I'll be anxious to hear what you think. For now, I'm with nebraska - kinda scared at the prospect of tidbits concerning string theory, black holes, quantum mechanics and the like. It's just so easy to get bogged down in that stuff when it's presented in an academic way, as it is in this book. (Much more better, IMO, to approach physics from a meta standpoint!) If we found TCD to be convoluted and hard to figure out, I fear we'll be a thousand time more confused by PW.
But I'm game if everyone else is! :ONBC:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:41 am 
JDZ Moderator

Unfortunately my library website is down for the holiday weekend. I'll order it on Tuesday. But I do want to point out that he has written it for lay people.....not for fellow physicists. I'll let you know what I think. And as far as Glass Books, I think we can probably believe whatever the publisher says once I get the word from them. At that point, we can make a decision.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:04 am 

Amazon sent me a message that my book has already shipped to me. I hope to get it tomorrow... they are really very fast here.... I can´t wait to get it because I read a interview with the writer of the book.. it was an interview for his new book..but what he said sounded interesting and therefore I can´t wait to get that book Johnny is reading. I read Stephen Hawkings "A short story of time" (I translated the book title from German to English, no idea how the original book title is called) and I read it two times but till now, I haven´t understood everything but it was a good read and I think it will be the same with that book. At least it will open our minds a bit for things like that, even if we don´t understand everything.. I´m sure Johnny is very clever, but I´m sure he never studied physics, too and I´m sure he has no problems to understand... and that makes me hopeful that we have a chance, too.. makes that any sense? :blush: :blush:

Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:16 am 

I'm up for this one, make a fool out of myself and all. :cool: But the thing about the Glass Books is that I don't understand how it's available on the UK site and not on the US one. I ordered it and it's supposed to arrive in a week or so. :perplexed:

Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tom Wingfield, Glass Menagerie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:04 am 

Morning Ladies and thank you all for your kind words. I have been meaning to ask Johnny what he was reading (in order to help our wonderful moderators Liz & DITHOT) since joining the ONBC...but my mind always failed me at previous meets (DMC & PE). He seemed to be less rushed at this one because Jerry had already put out the word there would be no autographs and no pictures with Johnny (we could take pictures of Johnny, just not with Johnny).

He approached and I made some comment about the concert and he leaned in for a hug and I spoke to his neck/ear/hair (it's a blur) something to the effect of "and I want to say what a great job you did"....and he's pulling away at this point, sorta saying, yeah, thanks...the typical..he's on remote...."job you did directing Vanessa's video" and that stopped him (so he was actually listening). Then he gave a more animated thank you, so since I had his attention, and my mind was actually working albeit it was around 3 a.m., I said something along the lines if you don't mind, could I ask you what you are currently reading. And he answered.....“Oh…Parallel Worlds. It’s a bit scientific, but it’s good.” Thank heavens for KYWoman and Dharma who where beside me, helping to remember what he said.

My view is if you actually ask him something that interests him, or comment on something that he is involved with...he actually pauses and you get a little peek of the man behind the image. That said, the problem with asking him anything is that you forget to breath and remember the moment (when it comes to Johnny any multitasking skills I possess go out the window). So I got a hug, put my mouth to the side of his head to speak, and I cannot remember anything specific, other than his hair was sorta stiff (the ends), but he had started the concert with alot of product in his hair (stringy and clumped together)...at least that is what I think...Joey Malones looked like it was flattened down with product as well).

And....no....I didn't smell a thing....LOL...but of course, I doubted I stopped to breath.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:25 am 

This book sounds so very interesting, that I would be game for joining in the discussion, even at the risk of making a total fool of myself :blush:
The subjectmatter intrigues me, even if it might be way too scientific for me to quite comprehend, but I would sure like to give it a try.

Charlene, thank you so much for your report of the moment. I'm still amazed that you had the prescence of mind to ask that question.
Great that you got his attention by mentioning Vanessa's video :cool:
And thanks for the little details about his hair, even though you did'nt smell anything :lol:

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate" Captain Jack Sparrow :twohearts: :grouphug:

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:42 am 

Thanks Charlene, this really made me feel like I was there.
Quote:
he leaned in for a hug and I spoke to his neck/ear/hair

If this was to explain how you had the presence of mind to ask a coherent question, sorry it didn't quite do :lol:

Yes, I have tricks in my pocket, I have things up my sleeve. But I am the opposite of a stage magician. He gives you illusion that has the appearance of truth. I give you truth in the pleasant disguise of illusion. - Tom Wingfield, Glass Menagerie

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:26 am 

Parlez, if you're scared at the prospect of tidbits just imagine what we are thinking! :-O However we made it through The Bomb in My Garden so maybe that was our primer. :lol:

Charlene, thank you so much for having the presence of mind to ask the question and congratulations on getting that close to do so! :goodvibes: Once we get everything lined up Liz and I will let everyone know the schedule. Thanks for your patience!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:05 am 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
Parlez, if you're scared at the prospect of tidbits just imagine what we are thinking! :-O However we made it through The Bomb in My Garden so maybe that was our primer. :lol:

Charlene, thank you so much for having the presence of mind to ask the question and congratulations on getting that close to do so! :goodvibes: Once we get everything lined up Liz and I will let everyone know the schedule. Thanks for your patience!

You are welcome! It's taken us long enough to get the question asked, LOL...I was determined to get it out this time. I should have asked him "what two books are you currently reading."

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:01 pm 

I'm so sorry Charlene..but on your last post I lost you at "Mouth to the side of his head" Had to go and read your post several more times. Thanks again for asking him the question and kudo's to you for commenting on his directorial talents on Vanessa's Video. It shows him that we are really paying attention and honor and respect him

Three is a MYSTICAL, MAGICAL number."
~~ Johnny Depp~~
 Profile WWW YIM 

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:11 pm 

johnnybloom wrote:
I'm so sorry Charlene..but on your last post I lost you at "Mouth to the side of his head" Had to go and read your post several more times. Thanks again for asking him the question and kudo's to you for commenting on his directorial talents on Vanessa's Video. It shows him that we are really paying attention and honor and respect him

A big thanks Charlene from me too...I am thrilled to read that he paused when you mentioned his direction on Vanessa's CD...This is their 10th year together. :heart: :heart:

And as to the book I say...bring it on !!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:08 pm 

Charlene wrote:
DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:

You are welcome! It's taken us long enough to get the question asked, LOL...I was determined to get it out this time. I should have asked him "what two books are you currently reading."

Next time. :cool:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:51 pm 

Thanks dear Charlene for your report. I think I would have died and gone to heaven not not being able to ask anything and of course I hadn´t been able to remember anything he said.. your choice of the question was great. Thanks for sharing! :highfive:

Profile WWW  

Page 3 of 4 [ 50 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next