Hugo Cabret Question #24 ~ Final Question

by Brian Selznick

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Hugo Cabret Question #24 ~ Final Question

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:14 am

Another discussion winding up here. :sad: This will be our last question. DITHOT and I thank y'all for your participation and your insights. You all enlightened me, as always. :cool: We're looking forward to seeing you here for our next discussion--A Tranatlantic Love Affair. Tidbits begin in September. So without further ado, our final question.....

What did you like the most about this story? Please use this final question to bring up anything other thoughts you want to share.

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Boo-Radley

Re: Hugo Cabret Question #24 ~ Final Question

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:39 pm

First I want to thank you Lizbaba and DITHOTbaba, for moderating a another great discussion. I know wasn't able to chime in everyday but that's what I love about this group; one is never made to feel unwanted or less thoughtful for not being available for each day of a discussion and I find that very welcoming.

Now, what I liked about the story. Beyond those wonderful drawings and the mix of fact and fiction... I liked that Selznick is trying to get children to be in touch with their emotional selves and how that shapes how you relate to others. In other words, everyone has a story and until you know what that story is you don't really know the person. When you think about it both Hugo and Papa George had a similar emotional story, they had both suffered a great emotional loss -- Hugo the loss of his father and Papa George the loss of his life's work and both of them were relating to the world based on that loss. So I think Selznick is teaching children to look at people differently, to look for what lies underneath, and not base their judgments solely on what they see alone.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:28 pm

Wow! Great point, Boobaba! This is so true about this story. Many of the characters prejudged the others. But they stuck around each other long enough to find out where they were coming from and the reasons why they behaved in the way that they did.

I'm so glad that you were able to participate in this discussion. :loveshower:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:38 pm

I liked the way the text and illustrations were integrated. As I've said before, I'm a word person. I've never read a graphic novel, because I can incorporate ideas from text faster than from pictures. In Hugo Cabret, though, since the illustrations were a necessary part of the story line, I was forced to step a little bit out of my comfort zone and slow down a little and look at the pictures.

I know wasn't able to chime in everyday but that's what I love about this group; one is never made to feel unwanted or less thoughtful for not being available for each day of a discussion and I find that very welcoming.
Very true, Boo-Radley. Another thing I appreciate is how much I learn from the discussions: not just from our moderators (who ROCK! :applause: ) but also from the other members, who have insights and perspectives that I don't. :grouphug:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:23 pm

This book was a fun read. I know we have looked at many layers of meaning as we always do here, and integrated a lot of facts, but the book all by itself was just a really nice book to read on a surface level. The story was interesting, the style was fabulous, and the illustrations were amazing. Thanks for introducing me to it! :cool:

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed Aug 04, 2010 5:15 pm

Another great discussion lead by Liz and DITHOT!!
Many thanks ladies! :applause2:

This book was such a fun read for me. The illustrations added so much to the story. It was a lesson in how to look at people and see into their lives - not just on the outside, but inner thoughts and problems that everyone has to deal with. When I read - I have a tendency to read too fast and miss alot of what the author is telling. With Hugo and the illustrations it gave more meaning for me. I really enjoyed everyones thoughts and take on this story. ONBC has made reading more enjoyable for me.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Wed Aug 04, 2010 8:04 pm

I'm sad to see this ending. I really love what we do here, the questions especially because they always open me up to considering something, not flat, not expected but provoking in the best way.

In terms of the book....

It's the combination of text and drawing, and the fact that the drawings "move". There is a quietly animated feel to the thing, not showy or gimmicky. It is more than a book, it's a present of words, of pictures and then ideas that aren't one dimensional but that go off here and there .. history especially. I like the darker things because kids always struggle more with the dark questions they can't ask, the things they have to do but can't tell anyone about it (sometimes they don't yet have the words). So, a very good book AND a very wonderful discussion that fed me lots everything I sat down and read.

(ps and the tidbits are an incredible device -- love them!)
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:41 pm

This was a very different book from what I expected going into it and I was very pleased at what I found. There are so many layers to explore here from the illustrations, the connection to silent films and film history, self realization and redemption. Just really, really well done and kudos to Mr. Selznick!

Kudos as well to our Noodlemantras for another thought provoking and interesting discussion. You know we think you guys :guitar: the Zone!

The discussion doesn't have to be over so if you want to go back and visit a topic or bring up a new one in reagards to the book please do.

See you in France :frenchie: ...and Chicago...
:dillingerhello:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Invention of Hugo Cabret”