Hugo Cabret Question #23 ~ Would You Recommend It?

by Brian Selznick

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Hugo Cabret Question #23 ~ Would You Recommend It?

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:19 am

Would you recommend this book to parents you know? To non-parents?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: Hugo Cabret Question #23 ~ Would You Recommend It?

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:11 am

I have placed my copy in the hands of every visitor who sat still long enough for me to push it on them. I absolutely think this is one of the most beautiful books I have seen for a long time. I definitely would like my grandchildren to read it, but I recommend it for everyone!

I am a little overly enthusiastic, I am afraid, even if I have not been able to answer many of the questions here coherently, I totally love this book!

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:59 pm

Yes, I'd recommend it with the warning that, because of the illustrations, it's not a read-aloud-to-a-sleepy-child kind of book.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:24 pm

I definately would recommend this book - not only to children but to adults as well. I totally enjoyed reading it.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:45 pm

Oh yes definitely, to both questions. In fact, I bought the book for my niece a couple of years ago as a birthday gift and she loved it; and I have a child-less friend who I think would love this book too. I've been considering giving it to her for her birthday this year. :biggrin: It's the kind of book that brings out the kid in adults, but in a way that isn't childish if that makes sense; while at the same time it is absolutely engrossing for children.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Tue Aug 03, 2010 5:36 pm

I haven't been able to participate in the discussions too much, but I definitely recommend it. I loved it, my 24 year old daughter loved it, and I bought a copy for my 10 year old nephew's birthday. The narrative using pictures is a wonderful technique, and the quality of the illustrations is delightful.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Tue Aug 03, 2010 8:42 pm

Yes, and like others here I have already recommended it.
I always begin by explaining it's more than a book, a feast of texture and movement. So far I got my daughter to read it and now she has convinced her teacher who asked to borrow it for the fall.

And thank you moderators because I would have missed this one if not for your selection of it. I'd heard of it yes, but this is book you need to hold in your hands. Simply not understood until you open it. Unless there are kids in the home and the adult lucky enough to spend time wandering through children's books, most don't get visually fed when they read. Mentally, emotionally -- but not with still images.

It sets me to thinking about all the satisfying and non-electronic things that could be done in adult books. I hope we don't lose this thing, this tactilely pleasing heft and roughness and smell that we call 'the book'.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Being a Caldecott winner that should be enough to put it on the radar of elementary school librarians and teachers and I hope they take they time to explore it. However the book definitely goes beyond elementary school and I would definitely recommend it to anyone of any age.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:01 pm

I was thinking it would be great for the senior generation even older than me. :grin: My mother used to like to read but has trouble applying herself anymore for anything too demanding. I thought with the mention of the older actors that it might be interesting for those who were around during that time.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:43 pm

Gemini, you bring up a very good point here. It would be great for those from that era. It is unfortunate for those folks that it wasn’t written about 20 years ago. In fact, I may just recommend it to my dad. He’s a former elementary school teacher.

Personally, I would recommend it to parents, but with a word of caution…..that they might want to read it together so that they can have discussions about certain issues (i.e. stealing and sneaking into movies). But there is another reason to read it together—the joy of a shared experience….that of the beauty, texture and experience of the book.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:44 pm

fireflydances wrote: I hope we don't lose this thing, this tactilely pleasing heft and roughness and smell that we call 'the book'.

Oh, I so agree, fireflydances. And I think I am at least as much in love with this whole physical book as nebraska is also. And, yes, I have already recommended it to other childless adults and to one who has a child, but the child is 21 years old, so that doesn't count. I guess I have to agree with nebraska that just the look and feel of this book thrills me - and then the illustrations used to forward the story, the mixing of real and fiction, the lessons taught about perservering, holding the course, whatever. I just love this book and am so glad it was the ONBC choice, too. I never would have come to it on my own.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:44 am

Bix wrote: I just love this book and am so glad it was the ONBC choice, too. I never would have come to it on my own.

Nor me. And I wish that he had written it about 15 years ago so that I could have enjoyed it with my kids. :-/

Return to “The Invention of Hugo Cabret”