Hugo Cabret Question #19 ~ Johnny

by Brian Selznick

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Hugo Cabret Question #19 ~ Johnny

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 7:30 am

What do you think drew Johnny to option this book for IN? What could it have been about the book that spoke to Johnny?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Buster

Re: Hugo Cabret Question #19 ~ Johnny

Unread postby Buster » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:21 pm

Just speculating, but I think there are several things that might have appealed to him. First, many of the characters are "outsiders", people struggling against the tide to remain true to themselves The intensive visual aspects of the book probably played a part, and also think he might have been drawn to the cinematic aspects of the story. Knowing he's a fan of early film, I'd imagine all of those connections appealed to him as well.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:06 pm

I agree.....silent films and Paris.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:46 pm

Thanks, Buster and Liz! I'd been pondering this off and on for hours, and now I've finally got an explanation!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:04 am

And I’ve been pondering how to articulate what I want to say in response to the other point of Buster's about Johnny’s attraction to outsiders who are true to themselves. I totally agree with this. Johnny has played many characters such as Hugo….those who aren’t necessarily accepted by society, but who follow their hearts or obsessions….those who may falter in some way, but redeem themselves in the end......or "reinvent" themselves.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:39 am

I agree with everything you ladies have mentioned, the film aspect, Paris. We know Johnny loves earlier times like the 30s. I was also wondering if he wasn’t looking for another story that might interest his children.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:12 am

I have had to think about this question for a day -
#1 - it is a terrific story that appeals to both adults and children. One that Johnny's kiddies can see and enjoy.
#2 - It is challenging to film with 1930's Paris as the backdrop. The rail station and movie house etc.
#3 - His interest in history of film making and those who were the creators.

Also as others have said before me, the characters are so appealing and on the edge of norm.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:01 pm

These are all very good answers!

My first instinct was to say simply that the book is unique. I certainly have never seen anything quite like it before.

But of course Paris, silent film all of that would interest him. :cool:

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:59 pm

Good afternoon. This is a great question. I imagine that drawings were very instrumental in Johnny's decision to option this book, because Selznick's drawings look like the storyboard sequencing of scenes in a film. For example, the way the reader is initially drawn into the story by Selznick beginning with the wide view of the sun coming up over the Paris and then zooming in on the exterior of the train station, the bustling crowd within and finally Hugo. I also think that the story Georges Melies with respect to the history of film, would have been very interesting for Johnny. Finally, the fact that the book takes place in Paris during the 1930's, I feel would have appealed very much to Johnny as well.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Return to “The Invention of Hugo Cabret”