Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Hugo Cabret Quest #18 ~ Surprised?

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:48 am

Hugo is a book full of surprises.

What surprised you most in the story?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Re: Hugo Cabret Quest #18 ~ Surprised?

Unread postby fansmom » Thu Jul 29, 2010 3:09 pm

This will sound stupid because I knew there were illustrations and had read the tidbits, but the first full page illustration made me catch my breath. I was surprised that the illustrations took the place of text instead of adding to it.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Thu Jul 29, 2010 4:30 pm

I was surprised at how much I enjoyed the book after hearing that it was written for children. Maybe I am still a child at heart! :lol: Also as fansmom wrote - the illustrations were such an addition to the book. It surprised me too.

As far as the story - I had a hunch that Papa Georges would play a very important part - but was pleasantly surprised that he held the key to finishing the automaton.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:46 pm

I was surprised by those two things also. I read half the book before I did any research on it or on Selznick.

The biggest surprise for me was that so many real people, events & photographs were interwoven (some becoming an integral part of the story) in a fictional children's book. And, of course, that delighted me as it gave me & DITHOT more tidbit fodder.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Thu Jul 29, 2010 8:39 pm

As much as I like the mention of famous people, I was really like fansmom more surprised that the art actually filled in for parts of the written story. I never saw anything like that done before.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:26 pm

What a beautiful book it was, everything so carefully brought together like a jewel really. Special book. My daughter is reading it and mentioned that to one of her teachers that she sees now and then, and the teacher said it's high on her list of books to read this summer. My daughter is going into 10th grade. So, it attracts many.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:50 pm

I'm with you, Liz- I like all the connections to real people. I was surprised (and delighted) by the credits at the end.They definitely gave me a lot of enjoyment. Reminds me of the extras that come out w/ DVDs.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:57 am

I already knew about the illustrations before we read the book but I didn't expect it to play out like an old silent movie, I thought that was very clever. Hugo's real identity caught me by surprise as did that of Papa Georges. Just a very well written, illunstrated, well told story!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Invention of Hugo Cabret”