Hugo Cabret Question #12 ~ If our dreams are big enough

by Brian Selznick

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Hugo Cabret Question #12 ~ If our dreams are big enough

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:17 am

On pg. 360 in a book supposedly written by a René Tabard, René talks about A Trip to the Moon:

“If one day far in the future, mankind is truly able to fly to the moon, we will have Georges Méliès and the movies to thank for helping us understand that if our dreams are big enough, anything is possible.”

And the preceding pages show a magician doing magic tricks.

Comment on the last part of this statement:

“if our dreams are big enough, anything is possible.”

You can comment on how this statement relates to the book, on how it relates to our world and/or how it relates to you personally.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

ladylinn

Re: Hugo Cabret Question #12 ~ If our dreams are big enough

Unread postby ladylinn » Fri Jul 23, 2010 4:33 pm

"if our dreams are big enough, anything is possible" This statement relates so well with the book. We can start with Mr. Melies' dream of automan - magic and film - Hugo's dream of the message from the automan and the dream of adult Hugo and Isabelle and papa Georges dream of sharing their talent with the world.
For myself - when we were planning to build a home for our retirement, I found a bookmark that said - "Nothing happens without a dream". The house if finished and our dream came true.
This quote can certainly be applied to life.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Jul 23, 2010 8:26 pm

Well, for fiction a nice phrase like that works out. Reality can be a different story ..... although if you don't reach for a dream you achieve very little. The dream sometimes changes as things move along.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:35 pm

nebraska wrote:Well, for fiction a nice phrase like that works out. Reality can be a different story ..... although if you don't reach for a dream you achieve very little. The dream sometimes changes as things move along.

Ah, but it can take you on a different path that you need to be open to.

But as you say, we go nowhere if we don’t have dreams and reach for them.

ladylinn, congrats to you on that dream house.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Without waxing completely philosophical, we (the human race) are nothing without our dreams. Without our dreams we plod along in sameness and conformity. Onward and forward...
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri Jul 23, 2010 9:53 pm

Dreams dreams dreams. We do put them down don't we? We are told we can dream and simultaneously told nothing will happen. This is the blight that I see befall so many of the working class kids I help teach -- mainly teenagers. The 'party line' is "dream big kids!" but the whispers behind the curtain say "you can't, you won't".

There should be another message. Dream big because, well....why not? You have nothing to lose and everything to gain. The more you envision your dream, the more likely it is to remain within your grasp. Big dreams are the best kind because they make you stretch, push you further than you thought you could go. Our schools should sit kids down and ask "what is your dream?" Organize classes on the basis of dreams. fit in the math, the reading, the everything 'required' so that dreams are the hub of the wheel and you grab knowledge because you need it to make your dream come true.

Idealist? Dreamer. But what we're doing now is not working. We have a generation of kids that doesn't believe in themselves. But they can succeed. If fact, they are meant to succeed as much as humanity was meant to invent, discover, create beauty, launch new worlds. We need to give them permission to follow their dreams. And also: wherever those dreams go. Not just college, not conventional blah blah spend your life at a desk but anything and everything in a kid's heart.

(uhh, oh geez I knew this was going to happen the author mumbles as she climbs down from her soapbox...but hey, geesh, the questions here just set the mind racing)
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Bix

Unread postby Bix » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:06 pm

I think there are different ways to think about dreams and there are some very good answers here already. But I am always drawn back to the simple poem called Dreams by the wonderful poet Langston Hughes.

Hold fast to dreams
For if dreams die
Life is a broken-winged bird
That cannot fly.

Hold fast to dreams
For when dreams go
Life is a barren field
Frozen with snow.

So I guess I'm not talking about dreaming about being a big star or sports figure or rich person. It is just that we each somehow need to believe that there is something that we can do or achieve beyond where we are now in order to grow and prosper. And Hugo was such a wonderful boy for continuing to learn and work and strive for what his father and his uncle had shown him he could do. And I don't think he ever imagined he would turn out to be a famous magician - he just wanted to see what the automaton would write.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:16 am

firefly, having worked in education myself I sympathize with your feelings. There is such pressure on kids these days to master "the basics" they don't have time to explore other interests and learn what their dreams are.

Bix, that is a beautiful poem!

Nice segue into today's question, ladies...
:grin:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Sat Jul 24, 2010 9:09 pm

Made me think of Michio Kaku : theoretically all of our dreams are not only possible, they're happening right now in a parallel universe. Sweet to think about.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:38 pm

Well, I can't resist the temptation to get on my :soapbox:

Hugo and kids in that era had their own struggles. But today, schools do make it hard for kids to dream.....because TODAY in order to succeed one must excel in ALL subjects. Otherwise, one can't get into college. The problem is there are so many of us who are not wired to excel in ALL subjects. It seems so sad when some are incredibly good writers but suck at math and science. And then there are the math and science whizzes who can't spell, punctuate or even write legibly. They can't get into colleges or through them once they get there. Seems like such a waste.
:sad:

Return to “The Invention of Hugo Cabret”