Hugo Cabret Question #7 ~ Mama Jeanne

by Brian Selznick

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Hugo Cabret Question #7 ~ Mama Jeanne

Unread postby Liz » Sun Jul 18, 2010 1:10 pm

What did you think of the way Mama Jeanne handled/responded to the exposing of Georges’ true identity?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Bix

Re: Hugo Cabret Question #7 ~ Mama Jeanne

Unread postby Bix » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:21 pm

I think she handled it the only way she knew how. She had worked so closely with her husband and shared in his genius in his magic act and early films and when it was all taken from them after the war, the only way they could go on was to put that whole life behind them. But she couldn't quite bring herself to do that and saved the box of drawings and the robe and locked them in her armoire. I think she was very frightened that the childrens' clues to Papa Georges identity would lead to some very, very painful memories that he might not be able to handle. But she was not a mean-spirited woman and couldn't really forbid them anything. She was just very scared that her husband would be irreparably hurt. I think finally when Etienne and his professor show up with the projector, she finally understands that they have come out of great respect for her husband and she finally lets down her guard and takes that step back into the past. It must have been a very hard place for her to be for all those years and I'm sure it came as great relief to her when it was finally all back in the open.
Live! Life is a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! ~Auntie Mame

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:51 pm

At first I found her fearfulness really annoying, but it made sense in the end. She was a caring a loyal wife! :cool:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Jul 18, 2010 9:17 pm

Bix and nebraska, I think that is a great way to describe her. She loved her husband and didn't want him to be hurt but at the same time I think she hoped he would be recognized for what he had accomplished and for what he loved doing.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:52 am

Bix you wrote: She was just very scared that her husband would be irreparably hurt.

I think you nailed her motivation. I think she had an inner strength and her conviction that Georges' work was valuable gave her the resolution needed to preserve what she could of it. She took on the role of remembering for him, because, as was said, it was too painful for him to do it himself.
Strong and decisive woman.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:57 pm

Mama Jeanne was a very protective wife. She did not want her husband to go through any more pain. But she was also so proud of him and hoped one day he would be recognized for all that he had achieved. Strong and tender at the same time.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:54 pm

Thank you, Noodlemantras, for explaining to me why she was so protective towards her husband. I had felt that she was over-protective.

Thanks, as always, for revealing a different point of view for me.

:notworthy:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Tue Jul 20, 2010 2:03 pm

I thought she handled it as I think any woman, who loved her husband and believed what was about to happen would cause him emotional perhaps even physical harm, would--she tried to stop it from happening. I liked Mama Jeanne, she was a strong woman in her own right, because she was obviously the glue that held together the family unit.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Return to “The Invention of Hugo Cabret”