by Brian Selznick

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Hugo Cabret Question #5 ~ Isabelle

Unread postby Liz » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:57 am

Let’s discuss Isabelle.

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

trygirl

Re: Hugo Cabret Question #5 ~ Isabelle

Unread postby trygirl » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:12 pm

I could relate to Isabelle and her love of books. When I was a child, I always had my nose in one and even now I have a passion for them. She's just as bright as Hugo, courageous, and becomes a much needed ally to a lonely boy. You might say the girl is a catalyst for him because she literally holds the key to his welcomed salvation.
I'm not a brand, I'm more of a variety. - Johnny Depp

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:11 pm

She is dealing with her own issues as well. They are kindred spirits that find each other at the right time.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:09 pm

I agree DITHOT, Isabelle had problems of her own. But I did think she was a bit pushy and overbearing at times. However, the things she did turned out for the best.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:18 pm

I enjoyed Isabelle - she did have issues of her own - but was bright and was inquisitive (or nosey) enough to press Hugo for his secrets. They became friends because each needed something from the other. Actually I think they were alot alike. In the end there was a very good bond.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:21 pm

Yes, I agree with trygirl, that Isabelle was a very bright little girl with her books just as Hugo was with his resourcefulness and mechanical ability. They both had problems and much in common, and finding a friend of like age was good for both of them.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Fri Jul 16, 2010 9:28 pm

I liked Isabelle's moxie - she showed a lot of strength of character, holding out for her own agenda, even in spite of adult opposition.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:03 pm

Great haircut, too!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Jul 17, 2010 1:08 am

Loved the haircut.

But seriously, she bugged me. I think she turned out OK in the end. But she was so contrary, a thief, a liar and a tease. I think her motivation was around the fact that she liked Hugo and wanted him to share his life with her—like ladylinn said, nosey. I just think she went about it the wrong way. But back in the day (in that time period in Paris) I probably would have cheered her on. Maybe her actions were of a Nancy Drew type.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:48 pm

Good afternoon Noodlemantras, sorry busy weekend kept me away I'll try to catch up as best I can today and tomorrow. :blush:

Let's see Isabelle. I have to say I was too taken with Isabelle at first, I liked that she loved books and had intellectual curiosity; but many times it seemed her curiosity became out and out nosiness which I deplore. She also struck me as a annoying precocious child. I consoled myself that she had to be nosy to advance the plot, and that allowed me to begin to see her better qualities; for instance her loyalty to her grandparents and her developing concern for Hugo.

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

Boo-Radley

Unread postby Boo-Radley » Mon Jul 19, 2010 2:50 pm

nebraska wrote:I agree DITHOT, Isabelle had problems of her own. But I did think she was a bit pushy and overbearing at times. However, the things she did turned out for the best.

ladylin wrote:I enjoyed Isabelle - she did have issues of her own - but was bright and was inquisitive (or nosey) enough to press Hugo for his secrets. They became friends because each needed something from the other. Actually I think they were alot alike. In the end there was a very good bond.

Nebraska and ladylin, I'm glad to see I wasn't only one initially annoyed by Isabelle. :lol:

Live in Depp
Boo
"With this hand I will cup your.... Oh goodness no!"~~Victor Van Dort

"The theater is my drug, and my illness is so far advanced that my physic must be of the highest quality."~~John Wilmot

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:55 pm

:lol: fansmom, I have to admit that haircut brings back some very bad memories! :fear:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Invention of Hugo Cabret”