Garry Kilworth Q&A #4

Author of ATTICA

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Garry Kilworth Q&A #4

Unread postby Liz » Thu Oct 22, 2009 10:56 am

ONBC: During our discussion we talked about the different themes we saw in Attica including facing and conquering your fears, believing in yourself, growing up, accepting change, learning to accept life as it is but having the courage to face and change what can be changed, embracing not withdrawing from life, learning to help others. It is also just a fun story to read. Knowing how from time to time we have almost overanalyzed a thing or two, I wonder if you intended the story to have a moral or it was meant to just be a good read. Do you consciously try to write stories that carry a moral as well as entertain? Did you think we overanalyzed the story or were some of the lessons we discovered intentional writing on your part?

GK. No, I don’t intentionally try to get across an underlying ‘moral’, though I hope the morals of the characters in the story speak for themselves. My main intention is to entertain with some imaginative world, but as with stories like ‘The Wizard of Oz’ with its various characters looking for things they feel they don’t have, like a heart, or courage, whatever, the journey through the attic is helping my characters solve personal problems and hopefully discovering and getting to know themselves better. If that helps any reader with their own concerns, I would consider that a bonus.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

ladylinn

Re: Garry Kilworth Q&A #4

Unread postby ladylinn » Thu Oct 22, 2009 1:02 pm

Intentional or not GK - Attica had great morals for all of the readers. That definately is a bonus!! :ok:

Return to “Garry Kilworth”