Garry Kilworth Q&A #3

Author of ATTICA

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Garry Kilworth Q&A #3

Unread postby Liz » Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:18 am

ONBC: Why did you have Chloe go downstairs into the other family's home and life? Why did they not recognize her as a stranger? That episode felt sort of out of sync with the rest of the book for me. Do you have any comment on the taking of the walrus carving which obviously belonged to someone.....?

GK: A descent into the ‘Underworld’ is a convention of all classic tales, stemming from Homer’s ‘Odyssey’. This is Chloe’s descent into a world which is slightly warped and has its own strange quirks. I’m sorry if it didn’t work for you, but to explain it fully would be like explaining a joke or a mystery, it would lose its meaning. The taking of the walrus? Well, the children, the bortrekkers, the board-combers, in fact everyone in the attic regarded all items in the attic as ‘junk’ and therefore free for the taking. They took more than just the walrus when they found things.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: Garry Kilworth Q&A #3

Unread postby nebraska » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:52 am

Very interesting answer, Garry. A little more profound than I expected. Looks like I will have to do some research on this "underworld" device.

Theresa
JDZ Webmaster

Unread postby Theresa » Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:40 pm

The taking of the walrus? Well, the children, the bortrekkers, the board-combers, in fact everyone in the attic regarded all items in the attic as ‘junk’ and therefore free for the taking. They took more than just the walrus when they found things.

Very interesting...odd how the walrus seemed that it was more "taken" than any of the items in the attic that then children took. I guess it was because the trip down into the real world gave us, as adults, more of the feeling that the rules should be followed. But the attic had its own set of rules so what they took wasn't taken as much as it was "found."

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed Oct 21, 2009 7:08 pm

I think you really sent us spinning with your answer here. Interesting way you wove the walrus into the story. It seemed very important to the children getting back to their real time. Guess we need to keep it simple - huh? :biggrin:

Return to “Garry Kilworth”