It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ] 
 Post subject: Garry Kilworth Q&A #2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:26 am 
JDZ Moderator

ONBC: Garry, First I enjoyed the book much more than I anticipated. Thanks for making it for all ages. My fascination lies in Mr. Grantham. I was very amused when you said in an interview that he was probably based on you. Always being the romantic, I was so waiting to see why he wanted the watch back and expecting some reason. When the story just returned to where it was at the beginning with no great change for Mr. Grantham, I was disappointed. Was this a lesson of some sort on missed opportunities or not being able to relive your life? Or was he just a reason for the quest in a child’s story? Did you create a backstory for him when you created him? If so would you share it with us?

GK: Although I’m not elderly, I am fairly old at 68, and when one reaches my age there is a tendency to look back on childhood and the early twenties. There is an underlying idea here that the attic as a supernatural entity is ‘available’ to those who are in some sort of transition period in their lives. With the children, it is moving house and forming a new family out of two old ones. With Mr Grantham it was getting over his lost love. I believe Mr Grantham lost the watch in the attic when he went in and experienced its supernatural secrets and he felt the children would benefit from the same sort of experience. I think it was a little irresponsible of him because the attic is a dangerous place and things might have gone seriously wrong. When I spoke to him about it, he was clearly embarrassed, but waved me away with, ‘Oh, they managed, didn’t they? They’re capable children. It all worked out for the best in the end.’

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: Garry Kilworth Q&A #2
PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 3:20 pm 

I like your take on Mr. Grantham - I am fairly older than your "68" but everyone at any age can look back and wonder "what if"? Mr. Grantham to me was a glue factor to the story. He remained constant.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 4:20 pm 

When I spoke to him about it, he was clearly embarrassed, but waved me away with, ‘Oh, they managed, didn’t they? They’re capable children. It all worked out for the best in the end.

:biglaugh:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 20, 2009 5:17 pm 

Well, Garry, I'm glad you spoke to him about it! It says something for his character that he was embarrased, because he really was very naughty sending the children up there. I guess he felt it really would end happily ever after. :biggrin:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 3:43 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

Quote:
I believe Mr Grantham lost the watch in the attic when he went in and experienced its supernatural secrets and he felt the children would benefit from the same sort of experience.

So Mr. Grantham explored the attic as an adult? I guess I just assumed that he had gone up there at about the same age as the children, as I believe the story said that he had lived in that house all his life.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2009 10:43 pm 

I am catching up here again. Real life interfering with my play time. I just read all of Garrys Q&A and just loved his answers.
Quote:
When I spoke to him about it, he was clearly embarrassed, but waved me away with, ‘Oh, they managed, didn’t they?
What a charming answer and so like Mr Grantham. I see where Garry gets his imagination for his writing and love the way he feels about his work.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 31, 2009 12:37 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I'm glad to see you back, gemini!

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Page 1 of 1 [ 7 posts ]