William Helmer Q&A #7

Co-author of DILLINGER: THE UNTOLD STORY

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

William Helmer Q&A #7

Unread postby Liz » Sun Aug 09, 2009 12:52 pm

ONBC: What was your favorite part of the book? What made you laugh the hardest? (I'll go out on a limb here and assume that you found parts to be highly entertaining.)

WH: The Crown Point wooden-pistol escape cracked me up, especially when he motored out of town singing “Git along, li’l doggies, git along.” His personality and style in general were remarkable in that he “hid in plain sight,” and in taverns would joke with those who said he looked just like Dillinger (he’d laugh and tell them it happens all the time). At a ball game he saw Piquett and waved to him, yelling “Hi, Counselor!”, which freaked out Piquett and he assigned O’Leary to keep Dillinger out of sight and out of trouble.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: William Helmer Q&A #7

Unread postby nebraska » Sun Aug 09, 2009 10:35 pm

That reminds me of some of Johnny's tales where people tell him he looks like Johnny Depp and they finally ask him and he says ok, I'm Johnny Depp and they say no! you're not! :lol:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Mon Aug 10, 2009 11:10 am

nebraska wrote:That reminds me of some of Johnny's tales where people tell him he looks like Johnny Depp and they finally ask him and he says ok, I'm Johnny Depp and they say no! you're not! :lol:

I can't even imagine. :lol:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Aug 10, 2009 3:59 pm

I agree that it was most entertaining when he was in plain site making fun of the system. I liked when he was at the World Fair and asked a cop to take his photo. It tells a lot of his nature that he liked to poke fun at law enforcement even sending them post cards.

He truly loved making his opponents, in his game of life, look foolish. He lived up to his nickname , "the jack rabbit" for leaping over counters and his many escapes from the police. Actually, it worked too well because he made Hoover so upset he became obsessed with getting him.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:42 pm

nebraska wrote:That reminds me of some of Johnny's tales where people tell him he looks like Johnny Depp and they finally ask him and he says ok, I'm Johnny Depp and they say no! you're not! :lol:
I'd never heard that. Pretty funny! :lol:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon Aug 10, 2009 10:24 pm

fansmom wrote:
I'd never heard that. Pretty funny! :lol:

I saw it on one of the video clips here at the Zone, maybe one of the endless interviews he had to do for PE.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:48 pm

The incident at the World's Fair would have been a fun scene to see in the movie.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “William J. Helmer”