William Helmer Q&A #5

Co-author of DILLINGER: THE UNTOLD STORY

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

William Helmer Q&A #5

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:23 am

ONBC: There's one question that's been burning in my mind since the first pages of the book. In the introduction you state that Girardin stuck to what were "verifiable facts". My immediate reaction to this was, "So, what were the unverifiable facts!?" I am wondering if there are any stories or anecdotes that were related by Girardin to you that you could share with us, even if they might be a bit.... questionable. :-D

WH: My discussions with Girardin mainly involved his association with the Dillinger family, who had no facts beyond those reported by him or as told to him by O’Leary and Piquett. Other questions regarding Dillinger might have come up later, but he died of a series of strokes a couple of months after we’d met.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: William Helmer Q&A #5

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Aug 07, 2009 4:14 pm

It is sad they didn't meet sooner...but oh so fortunate they met at all! I wonder what would have happened to the manuscript if Mr Helmer had not found him when he did!

Still, a little more time might have uncovered all manner of interesting tid bits.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:05 pm

All the while reading the book - I kept thinking how great it was for Mr. Helmer to have found Mr. Girardin at all. No telling what would have happened to his manuscript after his death. Mr. Girardin must felt a great deal of satisfaction (even though he didn't live long enough to see it in print) that someone so forthcoming as Mr. Helmer would do it justice.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:41 pm

Oh yes! We are all very fortunate.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:17 pm

Yes, I agree, it is sad that Girardin didn't live longer and see the book in print. I am just so glad he kept his manuscript all those years.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Return to “William J. Helmer”