Rum Diary Question #32 ~ The Final Question

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Rum Diary Question #32 ~ The Final Question

Unread postby Liz » Thu May 20, 2010 11:12 am

Well, Noodlemantras, here we are again at the end of another discussion. :-/ Thanks to all of you for sharing your insights. As always, you make me think in ways I wouldn't have on my own.

Remember that you can revisit any of the questions at any time. I know I will be coming back to a few in the next couple of days.

Hope to see you here for our next discussion of Hugo Cabret. Tidbits will begin sometime in June.

So without further ado, I present our final question.....

What scenes are you most looking forward to in the film?

You can base your answer on the premise that you don’t know anything about the movie…..or not. Your choice.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: Rum Diary Question #32 ~ The Final Question

Unread postby nebraska » Thu May 20, 2010 10:57 pm

What! No answers from anyone yet? I am not sure myself. When Johnny has a new movie coming out I look forward to the whole thing, but once I see previews those are the scenes I want to see -- and they usually aren't the best ones.

Not sure which scenes from the book will actually be in the movie anyway.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu May 20, 2010 11:56 pm

Quiet in ONBCland today! If you don't mind spoilers you can always read the 2006 script (link below) but please mark it as a spoiler if you quote from it. :cool:

There are a number of things that I'm looking forward to. I'm excited that they shot the film in Puerto Rico. It will be fun to see the actual location where the story took place, especially after all the beautiful pictures we have seen. I'm looking foward to seeing how Johnny portrays Kemp - how much Hunter will be there? I would also like some voice overs of Johnny reading actual passages from the book.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri May 21, 2010 8:27 am

Thanks for the script link. :cool: I will try to give that a reading soon.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Fri May 21, 2010 8:43 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
I would also like some voice overs of Johnny reading actual passages from the book.

I'll second that.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Fri May 21, 2010 11:44 am

Yes it has been quiet in ONBCland the last couple of days. You have given us lots to think about.
I did not link to the script so here is a scene I hope is in the film. I would like to see Kemp and Sala zooming around in the "cucaracha" fiat with the children laughing at them. Also a good action scene would be the fight with the 2 carloads of Puerto Ricans chasing Kemp, Sala and Yeomon when they left the bar. Kemp thought he was going to be kicked to death in a jungle for $11.50.
Voiceovers of Johnny reading passages from the book would be great too DITHOT.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri May 21, 2010 12:24 pm

I’m glad to see that we finally have some answers. :bounce:

I should have phrased the question to read that you could base your answer as if you didn’t know anything about the movie…..or not. Your choice. I have edited the question to read that way now.

I have to agree about the voiceovers, DITHOT.

I also am most looking forward to Johnny’s portrayal and looking forward to seeing his vision.

But if I were to pick some scenes from the book that I would like to see in the film, they would be:

__The first one on the beach with Sala and the two girls. Just curious how they’d handle that one.

__The scene at Vieques, with Kemp looking back at the beach before they leave.

__Kemp playing house with Chenault

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Fri May 21, 2010 5:41 pm

Did mean to write the other night, did -- but sleepy yawn.

What am I wanting to see? Probably number one is how they're going to handle Chennault and her dance. An extremely vivid scene in the book -- I still see her and the guys surrounding her and the crowd, and Kemp by the door etc -- and even, how the tension peaks then gets lost in frustration as they try to find her. It's a series that you feel and keep feeling -- very well done. So, how does a movie sustain this peak and then tight sense of frustration and confusion.

I guess we all get pictures on our heads when we read, and I got dozens here -- the car from the airport to town, Kemp and ?? trying to escape the locals from the bar, getting lost on the roads, the Americano tourists, the bar. But more I guess -- the feeling of place: the sense of things falling apart physically, the dark blue of the night sky in San Juan, the hot glimmer of the sun on the sea, the palm trees along the boulevard into the city, the sweat and cool breeze feel of the air, the newsroom which seems dusty, and old banged up file cabinets and bad lighting. etc. -- all the seeing, hearing, smelling one does when one reads -- and then: what is the 'other's' vision -- i mean assuming the director et al bring their own mental vision, feeling, sensation out of the book and on to the screen. How will their differ?

I agree with those that say it is often not a good idea to read a book and see it as a movie -- those visions in one's head never match with another's. But--- if we go in prepared to welcome another member or members to the conversation about this book, well perhaps we will enjoy and think about whatever they give us.

Gee, I really really want to see this one. This is my kind of Johnny movie.

PS And to echo what someone else said --- voice overs from the book. Oh yes yes -- that would bring Hunter's vision and voice alive in front of us.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

geri

Unread postby geri » Fri May 21, 2010 6:58 pm

Well let's see ... I did not link to the script, and I really don't know alot about the movie. I like it better that way. DITHOT, I also would love voice overs of Johnny reading some actual passages. Can't you just imagine that!!! :thud: ... But, the scene I'm most curious about, is the shower scene (Chenault and Kemp) in his apartment. I wonder how that will be handled, if at all. ;-)

I'm really anxious to see this movie, and I must agree with FFD ... This is the kind of Johnny movie I enjoy!!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri May 21, 2010 10:52 pm

fireflydances wrote: all the seeing, hearing, smelling one does when one reads -- and then: what is the 'other's' vision -- i mean assuming the director et al bring their own mental vision, feeling, sensation out of the book and on to the screen. How will their differ?

Wow! This is the first time I have heard anyone explain the difference in "visions" this way. It makes a lot of things in a movie version more forgive-able in a way. Rather than looking for a literal interpretation of the book (according to my vision) I can go see someone else's vision (interpretation) of the book. :cool:

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat May 22, 2010 3:11 am

nebraska wrote:
fireflydances wrote: all the seeing, hearing, smelling one does when one reads -- and then: what is the 'other's' vision -- i mean assuming the director et al bring their own mental vision, feeling, sensation out of the book and on to the screen. How will their differ?

Wow! This is the first time I have heard anyone explain the difference in "visions" this way. It makes a lot of things in a movie version more forgive-able in a way. Rather than looking for a literal interpretation of the book (according to my vision) I can go see someone else's vision (interpretation) of the book. :cool:

I know what you mean, nebraska. Fireflydances made me look at this a little bit differently. I tend to be very critical the first viewing of movie. I remember being very disappointed with Public Enemies’ lack of keeping to the facts. On the other hand, I have to give Michael Mann credit for his sets….. the actual places in which the action happened, historically speaking. I thought it was pretty cool that they filmed at Little Bo and Crown Point. And if you’ve been following me as long as we’ve been doing this ONBC thing, you’ll know that I am really into the setting….and it’s authenticity. So at least I know that this movie was filmed in San Juan (maybe not in the exact places, but pretty close).

Return to “The Rum Diary”