It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:56 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: The Rum Diary Question #31 ~ Thumbs Up or Down?
PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2010 10:31 pm 

I liked the book better the second time around. I like the style of writing, but, not particularly WHAT was said. Overall, the story was rather depressing, the mood low. Perhaps there was some sort of sardonic humor running through it. I don't know. I kept wondering about Hunter as I read it. About him, his personality, his view of life. So, I guess something about HST impacted me through this book. As an aside, Buster mentioned Bukowski. I love his poems.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 1:09 am 
JDZ Moderator

fansmom wrote:
nebraska wrote:
I have often wondered about the Hells Angels book, but it seems I spend my time on many other pursuits instead of reading and manage to keep up mostly the with minimum I need to do for classes and ONBC. I need longer days or more energy or stricter discipline or something.
Quote from National Book Award winning author Norman Rush: "The main effort of arranging your life should be to progressively reduce the amount of time required to decently maintain yourself so that you can have all the time you want for reading."

Well, I'd have to arrange my life where I had no kids, no aging parent, no job, have a maid and take a speed reading class. Yeah, right.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2010 9:32 am 

Liz wrote:
Quote:
Well, I'd have to arrange my life where I had no kids, no aging parent, no job, have a maid and take a speed reading class. Yeah, right.

Personally, I've just given up sleeping...

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 3:16 am 
JDZ Moderator

Buster wrote:
Liz wrote:
Quote:

Personally, I've just given up sleeping...

I'm not ready for that yet. :lol:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 9:46 am 

Liz wrote:
fansmom wrote:
nebraska wrote:
I have often wondered about the Hells Angels book, but it seems I spend my time on many other pursuits instead of reading and manage to keep up mostly the with minimum I need to do for classes and ONBC. I need longer days or more energy or stricter discipline or something.
Quote from National Book Award winning author Norman Rush: "The main effort of arranging your life should be to progressively reduce the amount of time required to decently maintain yourself so that you can have all the time you want for reading."

I suppose if I was honest I choose to spend my time on other pursuits - Zoning, painting, etc. Longer days would allow me the chance to do everything I want to do, but reality means choices..and some of us have less time than others to divide among our passions and responsibilities.

Post subject: Re: The Rum Diary Question #30 ~ Thumbs Up or Down?
PostPosted: Sat May 22, 2010 12:23 pm 

I loved the book and I would recommend it. It's a compact read and moves well. It has something to say which is a heck of a lot more than so many books that I've read. I have no problem with either the sex or alcohol in the book -- both fit the characters and the social environment. These are people who chose to move outside their home base, to live on 'the edge' in a way. The only question I've ever had about the book was how well it could be translated from the page to the screen, but I've said that elsewhere.

I think the fact that JD was close to HST says something pretty significant about his own perspectives on things. If you look at the other writers he's interested in, books etc. there is this deep appreciation for those living outside, those left outside. Yeah, the language and themes are hard and sometimes shocking to some -- but so very full of life. Anyway, I digress.

I liked the book. I am waiting for the movie.

Page 2 of 2 [ 21 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2