The Rum Diary Question #30 ~ Thumbs Up or Down?

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

The Rum Diary Question #30 ~ Thumbs Up or Down?

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue May 18, 2010 10:28 am

Did you like the book? :thumbsup: :thumbsdown:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Re: The Rum Diary Question #31 ~ Thumbs Up or Down?

Unread postby ladylinn » Tue May 18, 2010 11:52 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue May 18, 2010 3:06 pm

Since I've got two thumbs, I'll point one in each direction. I wouldn't recommend it to many people, but I enjoyed reading it.

(I'm a Libra; decisions are difficult.)

geri

Unread postby geri » Tue May 18, 2010 4:53 pm

I also am a Libra, fansmom, and usually decisions are somewhat difficult, but ... I really did enjoy TRD ... I'll give it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I'm looking forward to reading more Hunter Thompson!!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue May 18, 2010 5:23 pm

I liked it better the second time than I did the first. I took notes so I could keep track of the characters and so everything made more sense.

I think there is a valuable story here; I am not sure it needs quite so much drunkenness and abuse to tell.

Hunter was a very smart man, and the collection of his letters shows that side of him. I think his fiction and his gonzo journalism try to make him look dumb and crude, and I am not sure why he would want to do that.

So, even though I am an Aquarius, I have thumbs going all directions. :-/

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Tue May 18, 2010 5:54 pm

One up, one down. I enjoyed it in the context of Johnny's relationship to the movie and to Hunter more than anything else.

If it had just been a book I picked up, not so much. Some of the descriptions and passages were beautifully crafted, but it was ultimately unsatisfying. Glad I read it though.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue May 18, 2010 6:19 pm

Thumbs in every direction so far. Mine are split. I loved the descriptive writing and I enjoyed the historical perspective. I had a hard time relating to the characters and working up much sympathy for any of them, maybe Kemp a little.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Tue May 18, 2010 6:24 pm

I really liked the book - and have also enjoyed delving into it with ONBC. Thumbs up, all around.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue May 18, 2010 7:05 pm

Like you Libra's, as a Gemini I sort go both ways here. :thumbsup: :thumbsdown: I do agree with Nebraska,
I enjoyed the second read more than the first and got a lot more into the characters instead of the overall story. Here I will have to thank ONBC again because I was not taken enough with my first read a few years back to read it again but didn't recall it well enough to discuss. Thanks ladies for making me broaden my horizons again.

Geri said
I'm looking forward to reading more Hunter Thompson!!

Here I will go both ways in answer too. Remember that this was Hunters only novel and that made it more enjoyable to read. The short story we read was good for the same reason but I have read some of his other books and they are not like these. They are more gonzo, or shock journalistic articles. Most are about Hunter covering an event more like a lot of F&LILV. To me a novel is much more enjoyable to read but some like me are political junkies and will read through his Howard Stern type shock jock adventures for the political info and the name dropping. Don't get me wrong there is some great stuff in his books but its not easy reading like TRD.
I did not read the Hells Angels book. One of my friends who reads a variety of books didn't recommend it. I may read it just to see if its different from the ones I read.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Tue May 18, 2010 8:03 pm

Hell's Angels was the first HST book I read, probably a few years after it came out, and it started me on a long and enjoyable ride with HST. His style is definitely not for everyone, and I sometimes glaze over reading some of his (now dated) political views, but I sure wish he could have hung around longer to shed some entertaining light on the state of the world today.
If Hunter seems crass or crude, you should stay far away from the likes of Bukowski and Jonathan Shaw...

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue May 18, 2010 10:23 pm

I have often wondered about the Hells Angels book, but it seems I spend my time on many other pursuits instead of reading and manage to keep up mostly the with minimum I need to do for classes and ONBC. I need longer days or more energy or stricter discipline or something.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 19, 2010 12:07 am

Jeri and fansmom, I'm a libra too, but I give it :thumbsup: :thumbsup:. I liked his style and the story. It was an enjoyable read.

I would also like to read Hell's Angels and discuss it here.

I love Hunter's writing.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

moviemom

Unread postby moviemom » Wed May 19, 2010 12:29 am

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:
I enjoyed the book; the characters have a solidness to them that I don't often encounter in novels.
The year's no doubt, have changed me, sir. -- Sweeney Todd :sweeneysmile:

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed May 19, 2010 3:34 pm

nebraska wrote:I have often wondered about the Hells Angels book, but it seems I spend my time on many other pursuits instead of reading and manage to keep up mostly the with minimum I need to do for classes and ONBC. I need longer days or more energy or stricter discipline or something.
Quote from National Book Award winning author Norman Rush: "The main effort of arranging your life should be to progressively reduce the amount of time required to decently maintain yourself so that you can have all the time you want for reading."

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 19, 2010 9:47 pm

I'm not familiar with Norman Rush but I think I should be!

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Rum Diary”