by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

gemini

Re: The Rum Diary Question #29 ~ Themes

Unread postby gemini » Wed May 26, 2010 9:32 pm

dharma_bum wrote:
gemini wrote:
dharma_bum wrote:Here goes...
Once a thing of beauty shatters into a million pieces, it is beyond repair: whether it's a girl, an island or the American Dream. The best you can do is stop history from repeating itself. Fight the childish greed that makes us reach for shinny, pretty things before we know how to handle them with care. Find your voice, with the right kind of ears, it will be heard.

Yes I agree about the loss of innocence and the greed in spoiling a beautiful place for profit, but are you also saying that the journalism Kemp so protected was his way of using his voice to stop it or that it could have been? I am confused because with Chenault as the anolgy for PR, he was unable to stop what happened to her. Is the point that no one did anything to stop either and so history repeats itself?

Yeoman was the one who found his voice. Kemp heard it when others couldn't, but was paralyzed and incapible of righting the downward cycle of events. By rescuing Yeoman and preventing his demise, Kemp becomes more than a witness to history... he finally commits an act of civil disobedience and keeps hope alive. Too little, too late. However by giving TRD its fictional voice, heart and soul he makes the case for history not repeating itself.

(Film and book might have gotten a bit commingled in my earlier comments.)

Yes. I see your point with the book. Maybe also in the film if Johnny puts a bit of Yeamon into Kemps character. I can't wait to see what he does in the film. Actually Hunters comments about combining the two characters make more sense if you combine what both characters do in the story.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: The Rum Diary Question #29 ~ Themes

Unread postby Liz » Thu May 27, 2010 12:12 am

dharma_bum wrote: (Film and book might have gotten a bit commingled in my earlier comments.)

I had the same problem after reading the draft of the script.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “The Rum Diary”