Rum Diary Question #26 ~ Why Not Yeamom?

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

nebraska

Re: Rum Diary Question #26 ~ Why Not Yeamom?

Unread postby nebraska » Mon May 17, 2010 5:37 pm

The first Harry Potter movie seemed true to the book. :cool: I put off watching the movie for a long time because I didn't want it to interfere with my pleasure in the book; I have not watched the rest of the movies. I still prefer my mental pictures to the movie.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon May 17, 2010 9:18 pm

I'm glad to know some movie makers got it right. I'm still thinking on this one...

nebraska, I know what you mean about your mental pictures. It's so disappointing when you have a character or a place in your mind when you read the book and then it is totally different and disappointing in the movie!
:bawl:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Mon May 31, 2010 1:13 pm

I thought of this discussion thread when I read this article in the LA Times. A few of you were trying to understand the role of a producer versus the role of a director and/or writer. Though not about JD (the players are familiar, Mike Newell and Jerry B), this article really defines the involvement, power and responsibility of a producer, even at the expense of the artistic vision of the director.

Also, good news at the end. Mike Newell talks about future projects and the Alexander Litvineko project is still a go. This is the IN-GK Films-Warner Bros. project. I did a little googling and Variety reported in February that it is in an "advanced stage of development," but no talent attached.

"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."
—Johnny Depp

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Mon May 31, 2010 11:49 pm

Really enjoyed that Dharma Bum. Very interested in understanding how it all works. Many thanks!
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 12:15 am

Thanks for the info, Db.

I tried to Google it myself, and the first couple of websites could not be displayed. Makes you wonder????? But the Guardian worked:

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

dharma_bum

Unread postby dharma_bum » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:49 pm

Liz wrote:Thanks for the info, Db.

I tried to Google it myself, and the first couple of websites could not be displayed. Makes you wonder????? But the Guardian worked:

Here's the Variety link. IN and GK Films (this deal was struck when GK Films was Initial Entertainment) aren't mentioned in this article, perhaps because Warners is the elephant in the room, but this is the book property and project they nurtured.

We veered off topic a bit, sorry. (Still about books, just not this one.)

"You can't broom out your head. You certainly can't broom out your heart. And there's a hot wire between them, and everything shows in the eyes."

—Johnny Depp

Return to “The Rum Diary”