The Rum Diary Question #25 ~ Hunter in TRD

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: The Rum Diary Question #25 ~ Hunter in TRD

Unread postby Liz » Fri May 14, 2010 10:56 pm

gemini wrote:
ladylinn wrote:Wow! What an interesting idea. I too always thought of Kemp being Hunter. But now that you have made me go back and think more on the characters - perhaps there is a little of Hunter in several of them.

Kemp of course because his life seemed to fit a young Hunter.
searching for "something".
Sala - he was a friend that you could count on and a fellow rum
drinker that was fun to be with.
Sanderson - on the edge of just getting in on the ground floor
wanting to make alot of money.
Yeamon - I know that Hunter did not have great understanding
or relationship with women at that time - but I hope Hunter
wasn't that mean.
I don't know - maybe this is a stretch. Just some thoughts.

Of course Hunter is in all of them, he created them from his experiences. They all sure had drinking that rum in common with Hunter. All were looking for adventure far from home. They had bad or problem relationships with women. In the Charlie Rose video Hunter says about Yeamon and Chenault," that was what young love was". Maybe it was for him as he admitted making Kemp and Yeamon from himelf.

Even Zimmburger a gun nut, had that in common with Hunter. This makes me recall Martin the pilot who was Zimmburgers right hand man on the island. He was ex military and was stationed there and fell in love with the island and came to live there after the service. Remember Hunter joined the air force to become a pilot before he was rejected and became a sports editor. I think Martins life was a dream Hunter had in the military. Sala's complaining reminds me of some of Hunters gonzo articles when he got on a rant. Yes ladylinn, there were many aspects of Hunter in them all, even Moberg.

Gosh, I think I was so caught up in the Charlie Rose video that I think I missed Ladylinn's post. Sorry. :-/

I think it was quite intuitive of you to point out that there was a part of Hunter in many of the characters. I think that there is a tendency in us to focus on the easy character, and don't think any further. But that also makes me think that we should try (as hard as it is) to have an open mind about the film adaptation.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Sat May 15, 2010 9:28 am

gemini wrote:
Of course Hunter is in all of them, he created them from his experiences.

I think a quote from Johnny is appropriate here:

With any part you play, there is a certain amount of yourself in it. There has to be, otherwise it's just not acting. It's lying.

Isn't that a least a part of what art is? Exposing your own interpretation of life....

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat May 15, 2010 11:05 am

Agreed, since Hunter was writing about his experiences in Puerto Rico how could he not put parts of himself in there?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Rum Diary”