The Rum Diary Question #22 ~ The Sequel

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

The Rum Diary Question #22 ~ The Sequel

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon May 10, 2010 12:01 pm

What happened to Paul Kemp after PR? Write the sequel to his life.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

gemini

Re: The Rum Diary Question #22 ~ The Sequel

Unread postby gemini » Mon May 10, 2010 8:11 pm

I'm not much of a writer so I will just give my opinion. Since the consensus is that Kemp was a youthful Hunter, I think we know the rest of the story. He got home form Puerto Rico married his first wife had a son and went on to be a famous gonzo journalist. I think I prefer his life than what might have been the rest of Kemps life. Whether he was fictional or Hunter he was off to a bad start.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Mon May 10, 2010 9:52 pm

I'm with Gemini on this one. I felt overwhelmed by the question and pretty much went where she went. Because, I felt incapable of imagining a further writing, created by me, to follow Hunter's work! But, I'm also anxious and curious about the creative thinking of others and really encourage that. The best I could do was to have Kemp do a turnabout and become almost an ambassador of Puerto Rico with expose writings. Kind of going to battle in defense of the beautiful island and it's people. See, I told you it was lame. And boring. Have at it!!

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue May 11, 2010 12:17 am

Sorry, Noodlemantras. I think I was being obtuse with this question. I'm definitely not looking for creative writing but at the same time I'm not discouraging it! Opinions, random thoughts, entire conversations...all are welcome!

I like to think that Kemp continued travelling to various foreign locations working for English language newspapers, meeting interesting people, having more adventures and eventually made his way back to New York where he became managing editor of the New York Times where he outlawed all vending machines and then went on to write the Great American Novel.
:grin:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue May 11, 2010 12:37 am

Went on to travel through South America, wrote numerous travel and political opinion pieces........came back to the States, wrote stuff until he had enough voice to write real ........ suburban boring regular guy. Wish it could be different but..............

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue May 11, 2010 12:37 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:where he became managing editor of the New York Times where he outlawed all vending machines and then went on to write the Great American Novel. :grin:

Good one, DITHOT. :lol:

I’m with DITHOT, that when she suggested this question I had not thought of it as a creative writing exercise…..just what y’all thought would happen to Kemp.

I am like gemini. It is so hard for me to separate Kemp from Hunter. I think of Sandy and I picture him picking up Chenault in NYC and heading off to Big Sur.

But Deppaura and DITHOT, I like both of your ideas. And I think that if Hunter were to have ever written a sequel, I think it could go either of those ways. Deppaura, that is the logical and moral direction for Kemp. And DITHOT, off to various foreign locations seems so Hemingwayish.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue May 11, 2010 12:40 am

nebraska wrote:Went on to travel through South America, wrote numerous travel and political opinion pieces........came back to the States, wrote stuff until he had enough voice to write real ........ suburban boring regular guy. Wish it could be different but..............

Where he went back to the fear of the sack.....and it ceased to be a fear anymore. :-/

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Tue May 11, 2010 4:24 pm

I too think Kemp went on to find work in the Caribbean or South America where he could continuing his journalism. After a time back to the States. I think he went on searching for something that would satisfiy him. Whether he ever found it ......don't know because I don't think he knew. He was a restless spirit.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Wed May 12, 2010 10:23 am

Liz wrote:
nebraska wrote:Went on to travel through South America, wrote numerous travel and political opinion pieces........came back to the States, wrote stuff until he had enough voice to write real ........ suburban boring regular guy. Wish it could be different but..............

Where he went back to the fear of the sack.....and it ceased to be a fear anymore. :-/

I think we call that middle age.........or something. :biglaugh:
But a lot of us reach that point.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 12, 2010 1:07 pm

:rotflmao: Good one, nebraska!

Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 12, 2010 10:09 pm

I think as we get older we lose a lot of old fears. And I think that is a good thing. :chill:

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Sat May 22, 2010 7:39 pm

I didn’t see Kemp as Hunter or as Johnny.

Kemp flew to New York and looked for Chenault, but didn’t find her. His old friends had moved on, and he found himself spending more and more of the day sitting in bars, thinking about her, thinking about writing the Great American Novel, hustling odd jobs and free-lance work to cover expenses. He eventually did run into Chenault when she came into a bar with a group of loud and lively friends. Kemp watched her for a while, then walked over to talk to her. She was drunk and dismissive and they didn’t connect.

He left the city and drifted to Chicago, to Memphis, to New Orleans, and to LA, writing for small time papers and magazines, always working on his novel which he carried with him in a battered briefcase.
In LA he tended bar for a time, and he got involved with a bad crowd of druggies and petty criminals. He was busted for dope, but skipped on bail and went back to Kentucky. His mother had died, only a few people recognized him, and he moved on.

He eventually landed in the Keys and as time went on became a local character, holding forth in a saloon with opinions on everything. He was a regular writer of letters to the editor, usually fulminating about something or other. When he died and the landlady opened his room, she found a briefcase with hundreds of typed pages under his bed. She threw the papers away and gave the briefcase to Goodwill with the rest of his belongings.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

fireflydances
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby fireflydances » Sat May 22, 2010 9:28 pm

I got a confession to make folks. I love writing and Stroch's piece fueled me up and I had to offer something myself.

What happened.

Kemp didn’t leave after all, at least not by air. He arrived at the airport and watched as luggage was brought out to the plane, watched the slow line of passengers inch up the stairs and disappear. He waited until the doors closed and the plane turned to taxi towards take off. Then he turned and walked out, on the way pulling out the rum intended for Chennault and handing it off to a guy stretched out on a bench by the door. He went back to the apartment and sat there for days cursing the heat, the stupidity of giving away the rum, and waiting always waiting for a bang on the door inviting him down to the station. The memory of Chennault faded. Barefoot, wearing that white bikini, all roundness as she padded away, looking back over her shoulder – he watched her go over and over until he wasn’t interested in the memory any more. He hung on for a week and then signed on as crew for a boat bound for Mexico of all places. He kept this up for several years, doing the odd freelance, working on a novel and landing short gigs from time to time. One spring he washed up in Barranquilla. Fresh air, fresh chance, he found a position and developed a love of walking by himself along the river's edge in the evening at that point where the sky glows blue and then fades suddenly. One night he met a woman and took her back to his place, ready for anything and expecting nothing. He was surprised by her humor and her tenderness. Like a flower, spicy and soft as silk. He looked for her the next night and again two nights later. Later, maybe a week maybe more he found her and she was carrying a little boy. The sight of her holding the child and whispering in his ear, and then, seeing Kemp and flashing a grin, it made him smile in a way he didn’t know he could smile and it wasn’t about hanging on or letting go anymore. It wasn’t about what he thought or what he needed. It was all about that smile and what it did to him inside.
Last edited by fireflydances on Sat May 22, 2010 10:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Some books are to be tasted, others to be swallowed and some few to be chewed and digested." Sir Francis Bacon, Of Studies

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat May 22, 2010 10:34 pm

Stroch and Firefly, I like both of your stories for different reasons. Firefly, yours has such a happy ending and makes me feel so good. Stroch, your story seems so bittersweet, but realistic. I do like that he ended up in one of my favorite places. And I think it is a fitting place for Kemp to end up based on how I view the Keys.

You both have great imaginations, and I thank you for writing the sequels. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sun May 23, 2010 11:03 am

stroch wrote:I didn’t see Kemp as Hunter or as Johnny.

Kemp flew to New York and looked for Chenault, but didn’t find her. His old friends had moved on, and he found himself spending more and more of the day sitting in bars, thinking about her, thinking about writing the Great American Novel, hustling odd jobs and free-lance work to cover expenses. He eventually did run into Chenault when she came into a bar with a group of loud and lively friends. Kemp watched her for a while, then walked over to talk to her. She was drunk and dismissive and they didn’t connect.

He left the city and drifted to Chicago, to Memphis, to New Orleans, and to LA, writing for small time papers and magazines, always working on his novel which he carried with him in a battered briefcase.
In LA he tended bar for a time, and he got involved with a bad crowd of druggies and petty criminals. He was busted for dope, but skipped on bail and went back to Kentucky. His mother had died, only a few people recognized him, and he moved on.

He eventually landed in the Keys and as time went on became a local character, holding forth in a saloon with opinions on everything. He was a regular writer of letters to the editor, usually fulminating about something or other. When he died and the landlady opened his room, she found a briefcase with hundreds of typed pages under his bed. She threw the papers away and gave the briefcase to Goodwill with the rest of his belongings.

:yikes:

Return to “The Rum Diary”