The Rum Diary Question #19 ~ Off to the Caribbean

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: The Rum Diary Question #19 ~ Off to the Caribbean

Unread postby Liz » Sat May 08, 2010 1:58 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:I did venture out one me onsies a few years ago to a Johnny premiere where I met up with a group Zoners that I didn't know and had only met on the internet. That was a big step out of my comfort zone but it sure paid off in some wonderful friendships! Of course we did all speak the same language... :capnjack:

Would that be pirate speak? :bigwink:

I'm sure glad you took that step outside your comfort zone, DITHOT. That was quite a big adventure for me too.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat May 08, 2010 2:03 pm

stroch wrote:At 23 I went off alone for several months -- but to the British Isles, where I could understand the language! I also moved alone to the wilds of the Ozarks and lived there in the woods for a number of years. Most of the time when I travel, I go alone -- to Mexico, to France, to Canada, here in the States --nothing very exotic. You meet many more people when you travel alone, because with others you form a social group and don't have to make contact.

You are right about expatriates and travellers hanging out together and staying separate from the locals. It seems to happen everywhere. I think that the language barrier is part of it, but another factor is that local people have to work and live their everyday lives, and temporary visitors are looking for adventures and experiences. I trek off to 12 hour workdays while my houseguests visit museums and historical sites and go to festivals and listen to music during the day, and explore the nightlife while I sleep (all the things I do when I travel.)

It's too late for me to laze in the Caribbean -- the bathing suit problem looms large at my age.

You are quite an adventurous one. I have never traveled alone. But that's not to say that I'm not open to it. I've just never had the opportunity to do so.

Don't remind me that bathing suit season is coming up. Ugh. I need to ramp up my workouts. But I have a feeling that won't help me at all.
:-/

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat May 08, 2010 2:11 pm

I have traveled alone.....but usually there is someone waiting for me at the other end. The last trip I made to Texas I went alone and spent a good deal of my time with whomever it was convenient to socialize with, which often made me uncomfortable.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Tue May 11, 2010 10:01 pm

Liz wrote:Who is the woman with the gorillas? I can't remember.
Dian Fossey. :sad:

I am getting up the nerve to go on a vacation with a women's travel club, a group of women I don't know. An adventure to me, but quite a bit different from moving to a place I don't know anything about.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue May 11, 2010 11:23 pm

fansmom wrote:

I am getting up the nerve to go on a vacation with a women's travel club, a group of women I don't know. An adventure to me, but quite a bit different from moving to a place I don't know anything about.

Well, yes, traveling is a bit less risky than moving. So where are you going?

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Wed May 12, 2010 10:38 am

Liz wrote:
fansmom wrote:

So far just dreaming (Egypt? Tuscany?), although my daughter and I might be visiting San Francisco in August. She's graduating from college next week, so she needs to figure out the rest of her life first. :biggrin:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 12, 2010 1:09 pm

fansmom, that sounds like a great group! Enjoy the time with your daughter before she figures it all out! :lol:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 12, 2010 10:16 pm

fansmom wrote:
Liz wrote:
fansmom wrote:Dian Fossey. :sad:

So far just dreaming (Egypt? Tuscany?), although my daughter and I might be visiting San Francisco in August. She's graduating from college next week, so she needs to figure out the rest of her life first. :biggrin:

You could be waiting a while. I'm still figuring out the rest of my life. Congrats to fansmom's daughter.

Egypt or Tuscany could be quite adventurous.

Return to “The Rum Diary”