by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Rum Diary Question #17 ~ Yeamon

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 05, 2010 11:00 am

Let's discuss Yeamon.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: Rum Diary Question #17 ~ Yeamon

Unread postby nebraska » Wed May 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Nasty! :mad:

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Wed May 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Nasty - a good word for him nebraska. Of all of Kemp's associates - Yeamon was my least favorite. He was such an angry person and a user. He bullied himself in every situation. By Kemp sort of hanging with him - he must have been able to see something in him that I certainly couldn't see. Or maybe just his girlfriend was the attraction!! :bigwink: :lol:

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Wed May 05, 2010 6:15 pm

Yeamon seemed to me to be very self-centered - almost to the point of being oblivious to anyone else's rights. People like this can be exciting to be around - their bulldozing personalities can take over situations, use people, and make things happen. Belligerence is common, as is unrepentant rudeness. Add alcohol and it can be a real mess.
However, Yeamon reminds me of a friend of mine who at his best is a real force of nature.
Things happen whenever he's around, and many of my best stories come from our (mis)adventures together.
I'm not excusing Yeamon - just admitting I can understand why he and Kemp hung out together.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed May 05, 2010 8:20 pm

Oh boy, I see I am going against the flow again. I like Yeamon. I even started feeling sorry for him after I realized what Chenault was like. At first I thought him nasty as some of you say because he hit Chenault and that turned me off. ( still does) I started seeing how jealous he was where Chenault was concerned.
I even thought except for the slapping her he treated her better then Kemp.

Kemp was very adamant to Sala that he was not keeping Chenault but sending her back to NY, even before the newspaper was gone.

Yeamon was better to her at first, refusing to go out drinking with
the guys to go home to Chenault but somewhere either her flirting or something else caused a difference between them. I will say that even when Yeamon thought he was going to have to leave because of the police after him he was still going to take Chenault with him until she got wild at St Thomas. Remember they were looking for a yacht they could get out of town on.

As deppaura mentioned in an earlier post, Kemp and Yeamon seemed like two sides of Hunter. Yeamons brawling and getting in trouble was very much like the young Hunter. He showed his temperament in one character and his conscience in the other.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed May 05, 2010 9:44 pm

Buster, I have known people like that as well. They do draw people into their orbit. In general I got tired of being around them because it was always all about them and their outrageousness and nothing real.

I can't say I ever felt sorry for him but I do get your point, gemini. Going against the flow is not an issue. That is what makes a good discussion. I saw Yeamon as selfish, immature and impulsive. I guess you can tell I didn't care for him much? :lol: I'm with ladylinn and nebraska on this one, he just didn't have many redeeming qualities for me to like him much.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Wed May 05, 2010 10:09 pm

Hope I don't offend anyone when I say "locker room" boy. Masculine to a fault. Jock like. Bad cop like. Kid like. Little boy like. Well, I guess you get the picture!! It was hard to figure at times, that he had any sensitivity. But, if I remember correctly, Kemp was fairly impressed with his writings regarding the Puerto Ricans. I assume he was somewhat attractive, good looking, perhaps built. Appealing in that sense. I'm curious how you all feel about the fact that he was left out of the film story (screenplay?) Hope I'm not going ahead of the discussion with this one. Wonder what the thoughts are on this. Apparently Chenault will be the love interest of Sanderson??? So, things are changing around quite a bit! The only reason I ask the question is to determine if somehow he wasn't an attractive or necessary character?? Perhaps the weakest in the story. And, excuse or correct me if I have some of the facts wrong. I liked his character contrast to Kemp.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed May 05, 2010 11:31 pm

What a lively discussion I happened upon! Oh yeah, I started it, didn’t I? :harhar:

I like nebraska’s description. I also like deppaura’s. Very locker room.

I’m thinking he must have been awfully handsome to woo Chenault. But I also think that her low self-esteem attracted her to his type.

I just can’t condone violent behavior towards another—even though he was jealous.

On the other hand, I recognize that there is a tad of Hunter (as gemini pointed out) or many other men we know and love in there. He was an exaggerated version of that. BTW no worries, gemini, if your opinion differs from the majority. It's all good. And as DITHOT said, that's what makes a discussion interesting. And I like your open-mind.

Deppaura, those are all good questions you have posed about the absence of Yeamon from the film. We are planning on discussing that very topic in a few days.
:cool:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Thu May 06, 2010 12:04 pm

Buster wrote:Yeamon seemed to me to be very self-centered - almost to the point of being oblivious to anyone else's rights. People like this can be exciting to be around - their bulldozing personalities can take over situations, use people, and make things happen. Belligerence is common, as is unrepentant rudeness. Add alcohol and it can be a real mess.
However, Yeamon reminds me of a friend of mine who at his best is a real force of nature.
Things happen whenever he's around, and many of my best stories come from our (mis)adventures together.
I'm not excusing Yeamon - just admitting I can understand why he and Kemp hung out together.

Buster, you really made me think with this one! I had a friend once who had a bulldozing type of personality. She was usually loud, sometimes obnoxious, sometimes a little less than honest. Lots of people disliked her and it was difficult at times to be her friend. But I also saw the other side of her that had a tender heart. She did a lot of very kind things for me. When she moved away I sobbed for hours, certain I would never have fun again once she was gone. I hadn't thought of Yeamon in that way at all, but you raise some good points.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri May 07, 2010 9:20 pm

deppaura wrote: I'm curious how you all feel about the fact that he was left out of the film story (screenplay?) Hope I'm not going ahead of the discussion with this one. Wonder what the thoughts are on this. Apparently Chenault will be the love interest of Sanderson???

I didn't see any one telling us not to get ahead of ourselves here so I'll bite on this one.
Uh oh, I see a headache coming on. I really hate when films about a book go off in another direction.
I can see that Kemps character will look much better if he steals Chenaut from Sanderson who is a worm rather than his own alter ego Yeamon. It also tells me a lot of how the rest of the film will go. I will watch anything Johnny does but Hunter didn't write Kemp as a hero in this story but a guy with many faults. Johnny is known for coming through on this sort of thing but he is not the director.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri May 07, 2010 10:43 pm

gemini wrote:
deppaura wrote: I'm curious how you all feel about the fact that he was left out of the film story (screenplay?) Hope I'm not going ahead of the discussion with this one. Wonder what the thoughts are on this. Apparently Chenault will be the love interest of Sanderson???

I didn't see any one telling us not to get ahead of ourselves here so I'll bite on this one.
Uh oh, I see a headache coming on. I really hate when films about a book go off in another direction.
I can see that Kemps character will look much better if he steals Chenaut from Sanderson who is a worm rather than his own alter ego Yeamon. It also tells me a lot of how the rest of the film will go. I will watch anything Johnny does but Hunter didn't write Kemp as a hero in this story but a guy with many faults. Johnny is known for coming through on this sort of thing but he is not the director.

Actually, gemini, we will be discussing the absence of Yeamon a week from today. So everyone else....hold those thoughts till then. :chill:

Return to “The Rum Diary”