It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2
 Post subject: Re: Rum Diary Question #16 ~ Chenault
PostPosted: Fri May 07, 2010 9:51 pm 

ForestByTheSea wrote:
Don't know why, but I had the image of Penelope Cruz as Chenault when read it. Maybe it is because of her role in the 2008 movie Vicky Cristina Barcelona.

I admit that what Chenault did at the carnival shocked me, but I'm still sympathetic towards her. She didn't see that result coming either as she seemed to have no sense of danger. Or, she longed for "danger" without knowing what it actually was.

As for her relationship with Yeamon, I think she was perhaps looking for some certain responses from him but couldn't get it.

You make some good points here. Chenault did cause most of her own misery but she didn't plan on it going that far. As I said before, I think what she saw in Yeamon was his short fuse and fighting at a drop of the hat. She wanted to incite him with jealousy. I think her last dancing stunt finally showed him what she was doing. He tried to drag her away and she jerked away from him. He gets mad and Kemp then finds him outside talking to another girl who was going to show him the dance. Mmmm, maybe he was going to give her some of her own medicine. When he goes in to dance he see things getting out of hand and still tries to yell to Chenault and lunges toward the dance floor several times before he is dragged off. This is where I feel sorry for him, even with all her crap he tries to rescue her. Kemp gets them to call a cab but Yeamon fights all the way until he is thrown in it.
Like Buster says, I know some guys like Yeamon and I know a few girls like Chenault.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:32 am 

gemini, he was trying to get her to leave but I had the feeling it was more anger than it was worry, given his past reaction to her.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 7:00 pm 

I really didn't feel sorry for Chenault. I think she knew exactly what she was doing. I think she was living life on her own terms, and when things didn't work out ... she just went home!

Page 2 of 2 [ 18 posts ]  Go to page
Previous  1, 2