It is currently Thu Oct 23, 2014 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Rum Diary Question #15 ~ Paul Kemp
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:23 am 
JDZ Moderator

Let's discuss Kemp.

How do you think Johnny will portray him?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: Rum Diary Question #15 ~ Paul Kemp
PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 11:07 am 

I see Kemp as deeply conflicted - a state that most, if not all, of the characters Johnny has portrayed seem to be in. Bet JD brings that out.
Just guessing, I think he'll play Kemp as a character of Hunter's, rather than as a thinly disguised young Hunter.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 12:53 pm 

A bit rough around the edges, a little irresponsible, charming, well meaning and tender on the inside, and as Buster said, conflicted. Johnny does charming really well! :cloud9: This should be interesting!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:23 pm 

Johnny knew Hunter so well that I think he will play Kemp as Hunter. Kemp was restless and always looking for something even though he really didn't know what - at that time in his life. Kemp was a little laid back, always observing - on the edge of the circle - not in the middle. But many times his actions put him in the middle. Also think Johnny will bring out Kemp's humorus side. He is so good at doing that. Looking forward to seeing Johnny in this role.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 2:58 pm 

All excellent descriptions of the character and of Johnny's abilities! I think he can't help but bring Hunter's influence to the character. I believe this is his homage to his friend and we will see him there. I can not wait to find out! :kemp:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 9:12 pm 
JDZ Moderator

I agree with all of you…..he was charming and ambivalent.

To me what stands out the most was that he was a journalist, first and foremost. He was an observer who was slow to respond to what he observed. But he didn’t seem to have a hard time writing it down. He partook in the action in this story as more of an accessory (on the edge of the circle, as ladylinn put it).

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:01 pm 

Guess I got literal with this one. Wondered what music would help define the character. He uses that for inspiration while he's "working" Thought of piano bar music, and, of course, Laura. Any latin stuff?? If he plays Kemp as Hunter, guess there would be the hint of Southern drawl. Kentucky. Will or did he channel someone? His style doesn't look like the young Hunter we're familiar with. Is it a "50's " personality? I even thought of Juan Thompson. Hopefully the movie will will move forward so we can witness how and if all these ideas develop!

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2010 10:53 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Well, I've always imagined that Johnny would play it as a young Hunter.....whatever that means. In my mind it is a toned down version of the Hunter we know....keeping the same quality of voice (but better enunciation) as Johnny portrayed in Fear and Loathing.

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 12:32 am 

I wish as Buster says that Johnny would portray him as a character of Hunters. Unfortunately so many people having read about Hunter consider Kemp, Hunter in his youth. So much about Kemp parallels Hunter life, being a journalist, and living in Puerto Rico. Because Johnny knows that people will consider his portrayal a reflection on Hunter, he will play him as his good friend in his younger days. I think for Hunters family and his friendship he will put the best light on Kemp character.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 7:27 am 

Maybe something along the lines of alter-ego, as opposed to biographical...

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 11:39 am 

Just FYI on the music question that deppaura raised. Last October it was announced that composer Christopher Young was signed to score the soundtrack for TRD but I haven't seen anything since then.

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2010 3:07 pm 

I wanted to add one more thing about Kemp. In a way he and Yeamon are the different sides of the same coin. Kemp is Yeamon with a conscience and vice versa.

Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 8:27 pm 

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:
I wanted to add one more thing about Kemp. In a way he and Yeamon are the different sides of the same coin. Kemp is Yeamon with a conscience and vice versa.

I totally agree with that and they are two side of Hunter. Even in the story Yeamon tells Kemp they are the same. And I don't think Kemp helped him get off the island in the end because he felt guilty about Chenault. He saw that "There but for the grace of God go I".

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2010 9:39 pm 

I agree, gemini. I think Kemp felt that more than once around Yeamon.

Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 7:51 pm 

I have to agree with those who are looking for Johnny to offer a fictional character as opposed to a portrayal of a young Hunter. I think there are probably aspects of HST's personality (and obviously his perspectives) in Kemp but this is not gonzo stuff. There remains a distance between the writer and Kemp, one that doesn't exist in some of Hunter's other work (Fear and Loathing etc). In addition Kemp seems much more hesitant than Hunter would in the same situations. The fact that what we've seen of Kemp 'in costume' so to speak doesn't seem to capture the young Hunter also might support the idea that JD is going for his own 'take' on this character, using his formidable talent to knit disparate beings into one whole new persona. In any case, I can't wait -- I sure hope they come out of Cannes with solid distributors.

Page 1 of 2 [ 17 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next