The Rum Diary Question #12 ~ The Garden Party

by Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

The Rum Diary Question #12 ~ The Garden Party

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:48 am

Chapter 20, pgs. 196-198 Was it inevitable that things would fall apart in some fashion as they did at the garden party with Lotterman's death?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Re: The Rum Diary Question #12 ~ The Garden Party

Unread postby ladylinn » Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:37 pm

Yes it was just a matter of time before Moberg, Donovan and Yeamon would confront Lotterman with some sort of violence. They were despartely in need of money and felt Lotterman was holding out on them. Of course the Rum helped to intense these feelings. I was surprised that Lotterman died of a heart attach and not by the hand of one of these reporters. Even though the fight I am sure added to his death.
Kemp and Sala seemed to be aware enough to know to get out of the garden and try and protect themselves with an alibi. The whole bunch at the newpaper were a dysfunctional group.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:40 pm

Thanks for starting us off, ladylinn. I think when Moberg arrived at the office and found the doors locked and the sign on the door it sent him over the edge...although he seemed to be living pretty close to the edge most of the time. I think dysfunctional is a pretty apt description!
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:10 pm

I need to get my book out and refresh my memory on those pages, but yes, dysfunctional is a good description. And there wasn't much FUN in dysFUNctional, either. :-/

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:25 pm

Just flashed on the Mas Hatter - not too coherent here, but there is something about the intense and mercurial rages interspersed with benign fantasy that seems to echo the whole "beautiful beaches and love/nightmarish violence" that runs through The Rum Diary. (OK, I know Wonderland came first, but perhaps you can get a glimmer of what I mean...

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat May 01, 2010 11:25 am

I read those pages again last night. I suppose something like this confrontation was bound to happen in the long run. Too much testosterone and ego and booze on the loose! It was almost bound to come to no good end when none of these guys seemed to have self-restraint. :-/

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat May 01, 2010 12:42 pm

I think I get it, Buster. From one extreme to the other.

nebraska, your desctiption of these guys is spot on!
:cool:

Wow! What a ride!

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Sat May 01, 2010 12:56 pm

With the exception of a couple of hard workers, they were sort of a group of frazzled journalistic losers on the fringe of their work. All gathered under one roof suffocating in the Puerto Rico heat. Lotterman kind of reminded me of "Willy" from Death of a Salesman. Maybe they all did! What distorted egos. It's easy to get lazy and relaxed. Puerto Rico provided the rum and laid back atmosphere. Sucked them in.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat May 01, 2010 11:47 pm

I really didn't see the attack on Lotterman coming. I was as surprised as Kemp. I knew they were all drunks and Moberg especially seemed capable of violence but they all sort of took it for granted that the paper would go under sooner or later and knew Lotterman was floundering.

It seems more like a last minute drunken idea made while setting around having a binder. They intended to just ruff him up. They all like to live on the edge but things got even more out of hand then they intended. The ironic part is that to me Lotterman went to great extremes to keep the paper going longer then it probably would have before he finally gave up and sold it.
Yes, dysfunctional describes not only the paper and its owner, but it's employees.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat May 01, 2010 11:56 pm

gemini wrote:Yes, dysfunctional describes not only the paper and its owner, but it's employees.

Maybe that is why I can't answer this question. I frankly was surprised that they cared so much. I didn't see it coming either.

I did find the entire incident a lot more interesting after I had done a little research on the inspiration for the paper, and then found out that it had also recently closed.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun May 02, 2010 2:00 am

And speaking of the newspapers in TRD, it is pretty weird what's happening at the Times Building (mentioned in the NY Times tidbit) right now:

You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Sun May 02, 2010 8:20 pm

My initial hit on Lotterman's death, was, it doesn't work. I can't explain it. Maybe that's why most of you said you didn't see it coming. Maybe I think if wasn't an effective closure?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon May 03, 2010 2:52 pm

deppaura, that is what I thought too. I'm glad you mentioned it. I felt it was out of place with the rest of the book or something. I can't explain it either but I just didn't feel that it fit.

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Mon May 03, 2010 10:34 pm

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:deppaura, that is what I thought too. I'm glad you mentioned it. I felt it was out of place with the rest of the book or something. I can't explain it either but I just didn't feel that it fit.

To me it seemed like a logical progression. Lots of blah blah blah "of course you have a job, of course you'll get your check, I have sources, I'll take care of it, keep on writing......" Suddenly, "sorry guys, paper gone, sold it, too bad so sad, have a nice life." Are you kidding me?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue May 04, 2010 11:26 am

I definitely get the anger, I guess I just didn't expect it to turn that violent.

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “The Rum Diary”