All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next
 Post subject: Rum Diary Question #20 ~ The Letter
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 1:50 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Pg. 192 (end of Chapter 19)

Dear Paul,
I can’t stand it anymore. My plane leaves at six. You love me. We are soul-mates. We will drink rum and dance naked. Come see me in New York. I will have a few surprises for you.
Love,
Chenault

Why did she leave? Were they soul mates? Do you think he followed her?

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Post subject: Re: Rum Diary Question #20 ~ the letter
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 2:08 pm 

I think she had grown weary of the wild life she was leading in PR and wanted to go back to some sort of stability.

I doubt that Kemp followed her, he wasn't likely at that point to invest much of himself in a relationship, but he probably looked her up if he was in the neighborhood.

I'm not sure what Cheanault meant with the "soul mate" comment or the promises about drinking rum and dancing naked. Maybe she wanted to let him down easy, or maybe she was just daydreaming herself. Maybe the surprises were just that she was going back to real life and he would be amazed at her transformation.

It is hard for me to know what that girl was thinking! :yikes:

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:49 pm 
JDZ Moderator

nebraska wrote:
It is hard for me to know what that girl was thinking! :yikes:

Well this is true. :lol:

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 3:55 pm 

"Soul-mates He loves her" I don't know where she got that from. Maybe she was just trying to hang onto something from her wild days in Puerto Rico. Did Kemp follow her - I doubt it. Like nebraska said - who knows what the girl was thinking!!

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:25 pm 
JDZ Moderator

ladylinn wrote:
Maybe she was just trying to hang onto something from her wild days in Puerto Rico.

I think she was trying to delude herself that they were soul mates and that he loved her. It could also have been a way of saving face.

Again, she reminded me here of Daisy. Seems Daisy did a lot of that also. If I remember Gatsby correctly, she'd make a point of going on and on about how wonderful her life was when everyone knew she was incredibly unhappy.

I got the impression, though, that Kemp had considered finding her in NYC. I can't remember exactly where that was in the story.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:29 pm 

The letter didn't make sense to me. Soul-mates, he loves her??? No I don't think so, but I do think there is a possibility that he will try to find her in New York. Why, I'm not sure, but certainly not love.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:36 pm 
JDZ Moderator

Welcome to ONBC, geri. :wave: We're glad you dropped in on our discussion. Hope you will share more of your viewpoints in future questions.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 6:50 pm 

Thank you Liz. Actually, I just finished "The Run Diary". Very enjoyable.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 8:05 pm 

I am going with the consensus here. I am not sure what she was thinking. It didn't make much sense considering the situation. Kemp had pretty much dumped her when he said " Your days are numbered here- unless you want to pay the rent when I go." I think her leaving and the note were saving face. It's hard to face that you have failed with two boyfriends in a row. She wanted to feel that he had feelings for her and that she wasn't just available so she wrote what she wanted to be true.

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:06 pm 
JDZ Web Designer

Liz wrote:
I got the impression, though, that Kemp had considered finding her in NYC. I can't remember exactly where that was in the story.

I think he did consider that...at least in some part of his mind he thought he'd see her again.

Right after he read her goodbye note--
    I looked at my watch and saw that it was six-fifteen. Too late to catch her at the airport. Ah well, I thought. I'll see her in New York.

And then again in the beginning of chapter 21, when he was packing to leave--
    And that was it--my worldly goods, the meager fruits of a ten-year odyssey that was beginning to look like a lost cause. On my way out I remembered to take a bottle of Rum Superior for Chenault.

Post subject: Re: Rum Diary Question #20 ~ The Letter
PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:01 pm 

Poor me, I'm a silly romantic. Maybe the brief connection with Kemp sobered Chenault. She got herself together and realized she must move forward. To just stay and continue the life there in Puerto Rico wouldn't work. Too many war stories. A new start was necessary. They both were through with P R. The fun was done. Chenault may have sensed a connection with Kemp based on something of value. Unlike her time with Fritz. Realistically I wondered how he would find her in New York. I mean, I worried about that!! I said, I'm a romantic! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 1:20 am 
JDZ Moderator

I’m a romantic, too, deppaura. And I’d like to think that they ended up together. But I’m also a pessimist. :-/

T, thanks for finding those quotes…..esp. the 2nd one (because I don’t remember that one at all—but mostly because I think it might be more positive than the first one, LOL, the drinker that he was.)

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 11:12 am 

I've been wondering what the "few surprises" could be....

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:44 pm 

I have to go along with those of you who feel she was saving face and looking for a graceful exit. Writing the note instead of waiting for Kemp to come back to the apartment was easier. I do think she would enjoy seeing him again but I'm not sure they were meant to be together.

Good question, Buster about the few surprises. Maybe just her way of making him curious enough to come see her in NYC. She was certainly full of surprises!

geri, let me add my welcome to ONBC!
:welcome:

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 9:16 pm 

Yes I am a romantic too and this is about as romantic as Hunter gets. He is too negative to write a love story.. I do think Kemp would find Chenault in NY and she would be as willing as ever but I also don't think they would end up together. He wanted Chernault because she was hot and available and he had been drooling over her with Yeamon. They were soulmates in that they both like booze and wild life styles and adventure but neither wanted any responsibility. If Kemp wanted her he would have offered to take her with him when he left instead of saying well who knows I might meet up with her in NY. :sad:

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.
 Profile WWW  

Page 1 of 2 [ 16 posts ]  Go to page
1, 2  Next