From Wonderland to Underland ~ Book to Film

by Lewis Carroll

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

From Wonderland to Underland ~ Book to Film

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:16 pm

!!!SPOILER ALERT!!!

Have you gone down Tim Burton's dizzying rabbit hole yet? Noodlemantras and all Zoners, this is the spot for a discussion comparing Lewis Carroll's books to the new movie. The story, the characters, the dialogue are all fair game in your comparison of Wonderland and Underland.

What say you?
:hatterspin:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Re: From Wonderland to Underland ~ Book to Film

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:56 pm

I was surprised by how many bits of original dialog I caught in the movie. In spite of being a "new" story with Alice older and all of that, the raven and desk riddle was mentioned several times for instance. There were other bits of dialog that escape me at the moment, but bringing old characters and portions of the original story into the movie made it seem to me less like Lewis Carroll's work had been savaged and more like it had been honored. That was one of my concerns when Tim's vision was first talked about.

LOVED the Hatter! :cloud9: Great improvement over the caricature of a rather foolish and ignorant fellow in the book. I think Carroll was unconcerned with fleshing out that character, but Tim and Johnny made him so much more.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:05 pm

nebraska, I caught the raven riddle too and appreciated it. I thought bits of the dialogue were a tribute to the original, especially the Tweedles who were hilarious ("Bring me my fat boys!" :lol: ) and the caterpillar. It was interesting that the red queen's army was cards and the white queen's army was made up of chess pieces, and of course the final battle begins on a chess board. I also thought of Lewis Carroll and the wistfulness of his White Kinght in the final scene between the Hatter and Alice.

Agreed on the Hatter's character! He was different than the Hatter in the book but in a good way.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:44 pm

The Red Queen's army being cards and the White Queen's Army being chessmen was true to the books.

Did you notice Alice as a child painting the white roses red? I wish my poor tired head could remember other little nods to the original......maybe after I see the movie a few more times.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Fri Mar 05, 2010 9:54 pm

I did notice the painting of the flowers and also remember she said that to her future mil?

Wow! What a ride!

Baxendale Guitar

Unread postby Baxendale Guitar » Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:08 am

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas wrote:nebraska, I caught the raven riddle too and appreciated it.

Agreed on the Hatter's character! He was different than the Hatter in the book but in a good way.

:loveshower: I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. I was surprised by how many bits of original dialog I caught in the movie. :yahoo: I love the madHatter :hatterspin: :twohearts: I also Loved the fact that she had been there before in her dreams! It was wonderful :applause2:
:cool: :cool: 2 thumbs up from me :hattersmile:
~ “There's nothing - you know - nothing else like music. Nothing that touches us on that, uh, that deep level. Music can open up so many emotions that we didn't know we had. Music touches us, emotionally, where words alone can't.” JohnnyDepp~

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:08 am

WOW!

I was surprised also, Baxendale Guitar, at the extent of original dialog.

Well, I just can’t say enough good things about this movie. Tim’s interpretation was brilliant as usual. If it wasn’t for Edward Scissorhands, Sleepy Hollow, Ed Wood, CATCF and Sweeney Todd, I’d have to say this was his best yet. But they are all so good and so unique, I just can’t choose. All I know is that their amazing collaborations have never disappointed. And this one is no different.

And I do so believe it did a great honor to both books. There were so many nods to the 2 books. And the extras that were added only served to enhance the original stories.

I was tickled to death when Johnny began reciting Jabberwocky. And the White Queen’s chess pieces and the battle on the chessboard did not escape me, as I see it did not escape nebraska or DITHOT.

I am so glad that I read the books because otherwise “much muchness” would have been lost on me.

On the other hand, the story could have stood on its own AND the visuals were amazing! Eye candy as I was expecting. I saw it in 3D BTW. My entire family watched it. We all loved it. But my DH’s question was: Would it be as good if not seen in 3D? He thinks the 3D added a lot to it. So of course, we will be seeing it in 2D….soon, I hope.

My 20 year old son termed it “delightful” and couldn’t imagine anyone not liking it. And my 15 year old daughter loved it, but was disappointed that the Cheshire Cat wasn’t purple. Well, she was brought up on the Disney movie. What can I say? Regardless, we all loved the Cheshire Puss.

“Snape on Drugs....doesn’t get better than that”--another quote from my son. I loved the “who are you” dialog between Absalom and Alice. I thought the whole question about whether she was really Alice was an interesting way to integrate that connection to the caterpillar. I also think it was clever how she was enticed down the rabbit hole…..using the little caterpillar and the white rabbit. I loved that guy too. :biggrin:

So did anyone think “Wizard of Oz” at the end……the White Queen (Glinda, the Good Witch of the North) telling Alice that she could go home if she really wanted to?

I think that Alice was played as true to Alice as she could have possibly been played.....curious and independent.

Loved the Red Queen, even though I hated her. :grin: Helena did a great job. And I loved her look. She was perfect! :applause2:

I liked how the March Hare was in the kitchen throwing things around (reminded me of the scene with the Dutchess and the baby in the kitchen in the book). The pig was cute, too. I know these were a little off from the book, but I still felt that they were nods.
And last, but not least, to the Mad Hatter :hatterspin: ..... Johnny was wonderful as always. :twohearts: He played him like he was written in the book (but better ;-) ), with a little enhancement to increase his role in the story. The tea party scene was perfect. And Linda Wolverton included Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Bat. He was mad, but some of the best people are mad (or whatever that quote was). I think his character was very sweet. I didn’t catch it at the time, but I think DITHOT was right when she said that there was a bit of the White Knight in him. He was the hero, I would say, the White Queen’s “champion” (even though that was supposed to be Alice--in the film, that is).
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:21 pm

Thanks, Liz. The twinkle twinkle poem was one of the things I noticed from the books, but couldn't remember. I don't know why none of those quotes are coming to me now. I think I have to see this movie over and over until I remember them all. :biglaugh:

RamblinRebel

Unread postby RamblinRebel » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:30 pm

It’s been several years since I read the books, but I loved the way the movie respected the work and words of Lewis Carroll. For me, the original Alice was somewhat lacking in storyline. But I thought the modern plot and storyline of the Burton/Woolverton AIW, laid on top of the original characters and dialog, was absolutely brilliant. And the way they were able to recreate original events and dialog by making Alice forget her first visit there was total genius! I absolutely loved how they handled it! It really worked for me.

Liz wrote:I was tickled to death when Johnny began reciting Jabberwocky.
Oh me too, Liz!!!! As we were driving home I said I think that was my favorite scene. Totally unexpected and SO well done!! Wonderful nod to Carroll, and performed so well by Johnny. :applause2:

Liz wrote:“Snape on Drugs....doesn’t get better than that”
:biglaugh: :harhar: I totally agree with your son. I couldn't get Snape out of my head either.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:53 pm

RamblinRebel, thanks for bringng up Linda Wolverton. I've been giving Tim all the credit, forgetting that she wrote the script. So hats off to you, Linda W. :dillingerhello:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

byebye_blackbird

Unread postby byebye_blackbird » Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:37 pm

nebraska wrote:I was surprised by how many bits of original dialog I caught in the movie. In spite of being a "new" story with Alice older and all of that, the raven and desk riddle was mentioned several times for instance. There were other bits of dialog that escape me at the moment, but bringing old characters and portions of the original story into the movie made it seem to me less like Lewis Carroll's work had been savaged and more like it had been honored. That was one of my concerns when Tim's vision was first talked about.

LOVED the Hatter! :cloud9: Great improvement over the caricature of a rather foolish and ignorant fellow in the book. I think Carroll was unconcerned with fleshing out that character, but Tim and Johnny made him so much more.

I also think Tim's film did the books great justice :applause2: Loved too how fiery and independant Alice is in the movie. Everything was just how I imagined it would be, and Johnny's mad hatter was simply wonderful... he was so fantastic :love:

Thanks for reminding me of Linda W, too, RamblinRebel!

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:49 am

RE: Johnny's Jabberwocky -- I've read it a dozen times, looked at the glossary for the unfamiliar words, read the commentaries, watched other performances of it, and his rendition was the first time it actually made sense to me. Quite delightful.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Return to “Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass”