Annotated Alice in Lost

by Lewis Carroll

Moderator: Liz

Gilbert's Girl

Annotated Alice in Lost

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:39 am

I thought there was a thread about this book but can't find it so apologies for opening another.
Anyone a Lost fan here I can't recall. One of the characters picked up a copy of the Annotated Alice from his sons bed and started talking to him about it. Anyone else catch it? It was a very obvious look at the book and was not just something in passing.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Annotated Alice in Lost

Unread postby Liz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:14 pm

Was this in the last episode? I haven't watched it yet. I was watching the Olympics.

I wasn't planning on watching it today, but maybe I will if that is the episode you are referring to.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:02 pm

Liz wrote:Was this in the last episode? I haven't watched it yet. I was watching the Olympics.

I wasn't planning on watching it today, but maybe I will if that is the episode you are referring to.

Yes, Episode number 5 I think

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:45 pm

There it is, as plain as day. Parallel worlds and all. Not to mention that it's a TZ moment. :-O

Wikipedia did say that there are many references to Alice in LOST. This is the only one I've seen.....except for the fact that now we are seeing through the looking glass, as it were.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:06 pm

Liz wrote:Not to mention that it's a TZ moment.
Speaking of the TZ, have you read Stieg Larsson's bestsellers The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl Who Played with Fire? On page 21 of Fire, there's a mention of Martin Gardner--and he's grouped with Archimedes and Newton. Keeps good company, doesn't he!

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:53 am

Liz wrote:There it is, as plain as day. Parallel worlds and all. Not to mention that it's a TZ moment. :-O

Wikipedia did say that there are many references to Alice in LOST. This is the only one I've seen.....except for the fact that now we are seeing through the looking glass, as it were.

Wow I didn't even pick up the Looking Glass reference :banghead: of course, question though I guess is which world is the Looking Glass one?

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:31 pm

GG, thanks for opening the thread. I just watched that episode today and felt like I was falling through the rabbit hole when I saw that book! There is a sort of Through the Looking Glass story line (parallel worlds) going on right now on Lost. I haven't noticed the other references in the show but then there's a lot I'm "lost" about! :yikes:
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Jennak

Unread postby Jennak » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:15 pm

There are a LOT of AIW references throughout LOST, not just this season. You can read about them on the Lostpedia. I'm not sure if this type of link is allowed. If not, please delete this link. It is to the Lostpedia, and the AIW references. There is also an ad for Tim and Johnny's AIW on the page. :-)

http://lostpedia.wikia.com/wiki/Alice_in_wonderland

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 12:04 am

Gilbert's Girl wrote:
Liz wrote:There it is, as plain as day. Parallel worlds and all. Not to mention that it's a TZ moment. :-O

Wow I didn't even pick up the Looking Glass reference :banghead: of course, question though I guess is which world is the Looking Glass one?

And as I continued watching “Lighthouse” we came upon
Spoiler! :
looking glasses.
That was pretty weird.

Thanks for the link to Lostpedia, Jennak. I had no clue.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 4:44 am

The Lostpedia is interesting trouble is I think you only see the references if you know the inside info. Just watching the series I don't think you see those clues to the book only in hindsight, mainly I certainly tend to watch what I see at face value and try and work out whats going on, these clues are too subtle for me to have seen. Didn't even think about the fact one of the Stations was called the Looking Glass Station :banghead: Its obviously been lost on me :lol:
Having read also things said on the forums for Lost I think many of the references have been lost on alot of people.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Mar 02, 2010 6:40 pm

They were lost on me, that's for sure. I think I would have noticed the book, though, even if you hadn't alerted me to it. Then I would have just fallen over.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Mar 03, 2010 9:56 pm

Welcome to...

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Jennak

Unread postby Jennak » Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:26 am

I just found another great reference for Lost and AIW parallels. This link is from the Ravelry Lost group:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,2031346 ... 92,00.html

Return to “Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass”