Alice Question #27 ~ Favorite Passages

by Lewis Carroll

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Alice Question #27 ~ Favorite Passages

Unread postby Liz » Fri Mar 05, 2010 2:36 pm

Buster, I love word play. And nebraska, you’ve certainly shared some good examples of that. I’m sure glad that you came back and posted. When I was trying to answer this question I had a memory that there was something very appealing about the first chapter of TTLG, but didn’t earmark it. Thanks for finding it and posting it. That quote is very lovely. In fact, I loved every one of your chosen passages. The one with the Cheshire Puss was one of my favorites. I’ve always believed (or tried to) in that philosophy. :chill:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

bluebird

Re: Alice Question #27 ~ Favorite Passages

Unread postby bluebird » Sun Mar 21, 2010 8:41 pm

nebraska wrote:One more - this comes from the Annotated Alice and isn't actually part of the story. "As far as I know, there have been no empirical studies of how children react to such scenes and what harm if any is done to their psyche."(referring to the queen shouting "off with their heads" and other violent scenes in fairy tales) "My guess is that the normal child finds it all very amusing and is not damaged in the least, but that books like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz should not be allowed to circulate indiscriminately among adults who are undergoing analysis."

I loved that quote, too, Nebraska!
The edge … there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who really know where it is are the ones who have gone over. HST

Return to “Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass”