by Lewis Carroll

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Alice Question #27 ~ Favorite Passages

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 4:06 pm

Favorite passages?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: Alice Question #27 ~ Favorite Passages

Unread postby nebraska » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:08 pm

Oh, always my favorite question! Runs to find book and browse.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:00 pm

I look forward to that, nebraska.

I was going to wait for someone else to start, but I guess I will with one of my favorites. I love the whole "who are you?" interchange.

THE CATERPILLAR AND Alice looked at each other in silence: at last the Caterpillar took the hookah out of its mouth, and addressed her in a languid, sleepy voice.

“Who are you?” said the Caterpillar.

This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. Alice replied rather shyly, “I—I hardly know, sir, just at present—at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.”

“What do you mean by that?” said the Caterpillar sternly. “Explain yourself.”

“I cannot explain myself, I'm afraid, sir,” said Alice, “because I'm not myself, you see.”

“I don't see,” said the Caterpillar.

“I'm afraid I can't put it more clearly,” Alice replied very politely, “for I can't understand it myself to begin with; and being so many different sizes in a day is very confusing.”

“It isn't,” said the Caterpillar.

“Well, perhaps you haven't found it so yet,” said Alice; “but when you have to turn into a chrysalis—you will some day, you know—and then after that into a butterfly, I should think you'll feel it a little queer, won't you?”

“Not a bit,” said the Caterpillar.

“Well, perhaps your feelings may be different,” said Alice; “all I know is, it would feel very queer to me.”

“You?” said the Caterpillar contemptuously. “Who are you?”

Which brought them back again to the beginning of the conversation. Alice felt a little irritated at the Caterpillar's making such very short remarks, and she drew herself up and said, very gravely, “I think you ought to tell me who you are, first.”

“Why?” said the Caterpillar.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:10 pm

Well I can't run for the book because its back at the library so I did the next best thing and re read my favorite parts online. I was surprised to find that I could have read it all on line except the annotated parts.

Here are a couple quotes from Alice that pretty much sum up wonderland for me.

If I had a world of my own, everything would be nonsense. Nothing would be what it is because everything would be what it isn't. And contrary-wise; what it is it wouldn't be, and what it wouldn't be, it would. You see?

It would be so nice if something would make sense for a change.
"Curiouser and curiouser."
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:56 pm

I didn’t know the books were online, either, until we started discussing the story. Sorry about that, Noodlemantras. :-/ I have to say, though, that The Annotated Alice was a really cool book. I’m really glad I bought it.

I love that first quote, gemini. But where is it in the story? I can’t place it. Who is she talking to?

I like “curiouser and curiouser” too. I had forgotten about that famous one.

Here’s another one of my favorites (from the ending of AAIW). I like it because I can relate to the melancholy feeling of waking up from a dream or a fantasy—how hard it is to come back to reality. And in the 2nd paragraph, I liked how he expressed his/her/my wistful feelings about memories.

So she sat on, with closed eyes, and half believed herself in Wonderland, though she knew she had but to open them again and all would change to dull reality—the grass would be only rustling in the wind, and the pool rippling to the waving of the reeds—the rattling teacups would change to tinkling sheep-bells, and the Queen's shrill cries to the voice of the shepherd boy—and the sneeze of the baby, the shriek of the Gryphon, and all the other queer noises, would change (she knew) to the confused clamor of the busy farm-yard—while the lowing of the cattle in the distance would take the place of the Mock Turtle's heavy sobs.

Lastly, she pictured to herself how this same little sister of hers would, in the after-time, be herself a grown woman; and how she would keep, through all her riper years, the simple and loving heart of her childhood: and how she would gather about her other little children, and make their eyes bright and eager with many a strange tale, perhaps even with the dream of Wonderland of long ago: and how she would feel with all their simple sorrows, and find a pleasure in all their simple joys, remembering her own child-life, and the happy summer days.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Feb 27, 2010 11:29 pm

Liz wrote:I love that first quote, gemini. But where is it in the story? I can’t place it. Who is she talking to?

I found the quote here
but after looking through the story its not there. With a little investigation, I see that many of the famous AIW famous quotes listed online are not all from the book. This one seems to be from the film but I also found it online as a Lewis Carroll quote and a Mad Hatter quote but I think its actually a Disney quote. It was used in the film with Alice talking to her kitty in "through the looking glass".
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:58 am

Well, leave it to Disney to come up with such a good one. :cool:

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:49 pm

Currently my favorite scene is with the cook, the Duchess and the pig/baby. Something about the hurling of pots and pans and the "Speak roughly to your little boy" poem with its chorus of "Wow, wow, wow" appeals to my twisted sense of humor.
The description of how Alice finally managed to get a grip on the pig/baby ("which was to twist it up into a sort of a knot, and then keep tight hold of its right ear and left foot, so as to prevent it from undoing itself) makes me laugh out loud.

fansmom

Unread postby fansmom » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:08 pm

Buster wrote:Currently my favorite scene is with the cook, the Duchess and the pig/baby. Something about the hurling of pots and pans and the "Speak roughly to your little boy" poem with its chorus of "Wow, wow, wow" appeals to my twisted sense of humor.
Thanks for the reminder, Buster! I've frequently quoted the "Speak roughly" poem to my daughter just after she's sneezed.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Mon Mar 01, 2010 10:24 pm

Coming in late on this. Agree with Liz regarding the caterpillar passage. Overall everything was quirky and a bit too mad for me. Nightmarish rather than a "dream". I also like the ending poem which spelled out Alice's name. Brought some quiet to the episode.

Gilbert's Girl

Unread postby Gilbert's Girl » Tue Mar 02, 2010 2:42 pm

Not so much a favorite passage as just enjoy the poems or rhymes especailly You Are Old Father William :lol:

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:19 pm

I'd also have to say that the logical/literal conversations throughout the book always make me smile. In real life, it is a truly obnoxious trait (making jokes about taking things literally); Carroll makes word play charming.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:25 am

I'm terribly late, I'm afraid. I marked some passages and then misplaced my book. :blush:

I think this is one of the prettiest passages, almost an artistic departure from the rest of the book:

In Looking Glass House Alice says: Do you hear the snow against the window-panes, Kitty? How nice and soft it sounds! Just as if some one was kissing the window all over outside. I wonder if the snow loves the trees and fields, that it kisses them so gently? And then it covers them up snug, you know, with a white quilt; and perhaps it says 'Go to sleep, darlings, till summer comes again.' And when they wake up in the summer, Kitty, they dress themselves all in green, and dance about -- whenever the wind blows -- oh, that's very pretty!"

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:29 am

Here are a few more random samplings -- some because it seems like a bit of wisdom, some just because of the word play:

From Down the Rabbit Hole: She generally gave herself very good advice (though she very seldom followed it)

From A Caucus-Race and a Long Tale: The emblematic verse where the "tale" is written out in the shape of a "tail." VERY clever! Also, in Looking Glass House when the Jabberwocky poem is written backwards....and must be read by holding it up to a mirror.

From Pig and Pepper: "Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?"
"That depends a great deal on where you want to get to," said the Cat.
"I don't much care where -- " said Alice.
"Then it doesn't matter which way you go," said the Cat.
"-- so long as I get somewhere," Alice added as an explanation.
"Oh, you're sure to do that" said the Cat, "If you only walk long enough."

The Lobster Quadrille: There are so fun puns in that chapter, like using "whiting" under the sea the way "blacking" is used to shine shoes on land. And "no wise fish would go anywhere without a porpoise." Then there is "No, no! The adventures first," said the Gryphon in an impatient tone: "explanations take such a dreadful time."

from Looking Glass House "Somehow it seems to fill my head with ideas -- only I don't exactly know what they are!"

In Humpty Dumpty: "They've a temper, some of them -- particularly verbs: they're the proudest -- adjectives you can do anything with, but not verbs."

In the Lion and the Unicorn: "I didn't say there was nothing better," the King replied, "I said there was nothing like it."

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:36 am

One more - this comes from the Annotated Alice and isn't actually part of the story. "As far as I know, there have been no empirical studies of how children react to such scenes and what harm if any is done to their psyche."(referring to the queen shouting "off with their heads" and other violent scenes in fairy tales) "My guess is that the normal child finds it all very amusing and is not damaged in the least, but that books like Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and The Wizard of Oz should not be allowed to circulate indiscriminately among adults who are undergoing analysis."

My enjoyment of the Annotated Alice has lead me to pick up The Annotated Wizard of Oz, beginning with a simple reading of the story itself. Good old fashioned fairy tale violence! :biglaugh: Fun stuff!

Return to “Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass”