Alice Question #26 ~ Chess

by Lewis Carroll

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Alice Question #26 ~ Chess

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:16 pm

What did you think of Carroll's use of the game of chess to tell the story of Through the Looking Glass?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

nebraska

Re: Alice Question #26 ~ Chess

Unread postby nebraska » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:05 pm

Clever. :cool:

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Fri Feb 26, 2010 4:37 pm

As Gardner points out, it meant he could keep the Kings and Queens from the deck of cards he used in Alice's Adventures. It seems a perfect choice to me - Carroll loved puzzles of all sorts, and using a chess game as a venue for word games is pure genius.

Combining two very different kinds of thinking can be truly amusing. When I was a kid, we used to play GHOST and ping-pong simultaneously (as you returned the ball, you had to say your letter ). Absolutely hysterical, and surprisingly tricky.

I was trying to think of other games that could be used to structure a story. It seems that the basic requirements would be more than one player, specific places for the players to visit, and some sort of competition. Of course the most important part of the story/game would be the ending. ;-)

Croquet, anyone?

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:58 pm

Somewhat of a continuation of the Wonderland book and the children were just getting into Chess..

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:37 pm

Clever, indeed, nebraska.

Buster, I do think that there are other games that can be played in the course of a book…..”Clue”, “Dungeons and Dragons” & probably various video & computer games. “Trivial Pursuit” would be fun.

Deppaura, do you think that tying the game to the story would make it easier or harder to understand? I personally think that it doesn’t help at all. In fact, it muddies the waters more. It might help, I suppose, if one is interested in the game of chess--which I used to be years ago but have no interest in it now.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:19 pm

I used to play chess but not much anymore. I just thought it detracted from the story because I kept trying to see the chess game and didn't follow it. I don't think children would even try to follow the game and the story unless they were very above average.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:59 pm

To be honest, I just blew off each reference to the game. I read it, but didn't take the time to think about what it meant in the scheme of chess.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:12 pm

It may have just been Carroll's inspiration or guidance for the second book. Again as a dedication to those particular children? Hard to know if it was meant as a sequel to Wonderland in terms of appealing to the masses, or just to those who mattered most to him. I suppose the game provided a guideline and impetus to the story. A structure? No, it didn't help me except perhaps in a visual way.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:28 pm

Since I am totally clueless about chess it didn't really register with me. I think if I knew the game it might have been interesting to folllow along with the moves. It certainly fit in with his interests and was a clever way to tie a game/puzzle into his writing.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass”