Alice Question #17 ~ The Other Alice

by Lewis Carroll

Moderator: Liz

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Alice Question #17 ~ The Other Alice

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Wed Feb 17, 2010 10:34 am

Does the Alice on the other side of the looking glass represent a deeper part or other part of Alice?
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

Buster

Re: Alice Question #16 ~ The Other Alice

Unread postby Buster » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:26 pm

Deeper? Other?
I think it represents a freer Alice. On the stuffy parlor side, she was restricted by others' expectations. On the looking glass side, she could respond on her own.
Guess where she wasn't bored? ;-)

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:37 pm

I am not sure its deeper but dreams usually don't restrict what can happen and that seems to follow suit with wonderland. She must be able to loose any inhibitions or as a child forget the rules and do as she pleases. For any child that seems like more fun, Sort of like kicking up your heels before you have to go home.
Whether that is another part of Alice, I don't know, depends on how limited she was on the real side.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:00 am

Thanks for tackling this one, gemini and Buster. Alice does seem to gain confidence and know what she wants which was not common in Victorian times for women.

Just for fun, here is a quote by Grace Slick from an interview she gave to CNN in August 2009:

CNN: You have a fondness for painting Alice in Wonderland. Do you see yourself as Alice?

Slick: Yeah, because I came out of the '50s. Alice came out of Victorian times, which were very rigid -- and she went down to Wonderland, down the rabbit hole, and I went into the '60s.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -

Wow! What a ride!

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:11 am

I wonder if many of us haven't gone down a few rabbit holes of our own...Started somewhere, and ended up (perhaps only temporarily) in an unexpected place. I think the experience changed Alice, certainly, and am looking forward to Burton's take on it.

Grace Slick certainly will understand...

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Alice Question #17 ~ The Other Alice

Unread postby Liz » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:15 am

I think it represents the Alice of her dreams, as it were. Freer is a good word, as Buster puts it. I think she has entered a parallel world where she can be who she wants to be and have adventures unlike in the boring or restricted world in which she lives.

And yeah, Buster, I've been down one or two of those rabbit holes to which you refer.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:36 pm

I don't know that I think there was a susbstantial change in Alice in the second book. Think is was sort of a sequel and obviously more thought out by the author. A more planned writing. Someone pointed out that the first book dealt with a card game, and the second, a chess game. Guess pretty obvious.

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:45 pm

L C A L A A T E E S
O T L R E S L
O E I R C C
C R P C I R

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:52 pm

A hint please? :dunce:

Wow! What a ride!

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:05 pm

:ohno: Egg on my face!! But, a good laugh, hopefully. :harhar: Thought I got rid of that unsuccessful post. First of all it applied to the ONBC Game area where we choose a character and apply a suitable description. ANYWAY. I tried to write Cool Caterpillar creates circles...BUT, I made a design, serpentine like, using those words. It took forever in my pre-post, and looked pretty good, or at least funny. When I clicked preview, all my efforts went away, and it showed up in that crazy puzzle!! I am not computer savvy (obviously) So, now you know!!

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:38 pm

deppaura wrote::ohno: Egg on my face!! But, a good laugh, hopefully. :harhar: Thought I got rid of that unsuccessful post. First of all it applied to the ONBC Game area where we choose a character and apply a suitable description. ANYWAY. I tried to write Cool Caterpillar creates circles...BUT, I made a design, serpentine like, using those words. It took forever in my pre-post, and looked pretty good, or at least funny. When I clicked preview, all my efforts went away, and it showed up in that crazy puzzle!! I am not computer savvy (obviously) So, now you know!!

Well, You sure had us straining our brains at bit. :rotflmao: I am usually good at puzzles so I am glad you posted so I didn't feel quite so stupid for not figuring it out. :dunce:
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:40 pm

deppaura wrote::ohno: Egg on my face!! But, a good laugh, hopefully. :harhar: Thought I got rid of that unsuccessful post. First of all it applied to the ONBC Game area where we choose a character and apply a suitable description. ANYWAY. I tried to write Cool Caterpillar creates circles...BUT, I made a design, serpentine like, using those words. It took forever in my pre-post, and looked pretty good, or at least funny. When I clicked preview, all my efforts went away, and it showed up in that crazy puzzle!! I am not computer savvy (obviously) So, now you know!!

I'm sorry, deppaura. I wanted to play that game too. But I knew from experience with this board's capabilities that it would be technically impossible. That is not to slight the board capabilities because this board is really VERY sufficient for most of what we need here. It's about 50 times better than the bare bones blog I have for work.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sat Feb 20, 2010 2:31 pm

Okay, now I don't feel like such a :dunce: either! :lol: Thanks for the effort deppaura, I wish we could make it work!

Wow! What a ride!

deppaura

Unread postby deppaura » Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:25 pm

Sorry for the upset and confusion. Guess you'll have to use your imagination. :grin:

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:17 pm

No worries! :cool:

Wow! What a ride!

Return to “Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass”