Johnny Question #2 - Favorite Passage

by Edgar Allen Poe, William Saroyan, Jack Kerouac and Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Johnny Question #2 - Favorite Passage

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:16 pm

I think we may have already gotten into this first question, but if you haven't weighed in on it, here is your chance to do it.

How would you describe Johnny's style?

What is your favorite passage or passages?
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

sweetchia

Re: Johnny Question #2 - Favorite Passage

Unread postby sweetchia » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:00 pm

Yes, I did weigh in on Johnny's style, which I feel to be a good deal Hunter and a little Kerouac, but then, quite a bit Johnny.

As far as a favorite passage. I love how he describes Tim.

"A pale, frail-looking, sad-eyed man with hair that expressed much more than last night's pillow struggle. A comb with legs would have outrun Jesse Owens, given one look at this guy's locks. A clump to the east, four sprigs to the west, a swirl, and the rest of this unruliness to all points north and south."

So beautifully descriptive and comical.

And then I love this...

"Dumb-founded, lost, shoved down the gullets of America as a young Republican. TV boy, heart-throb, teen idol, teen hunk. Plastered, postered, postured, patented, painted, plastic!!! Stapled to a box of cereal with wheels, doing 200 mph on a one-way collision course bound for Thermos and lunch-box antiquity. Novelty boy, franchise boy. f***ed and plucked with no escape from this nightmare."

If you don't feel the frustration and anger in those words...you must be asleep. Again, so deeply descriptive, but more than that, emotional. I think that's what I love best about his writing. It's so deeply personal and emotional. He really lays it all out. He could easily have simply put together some pretty, well placed words that described, well enough, his experience, but he chose to let the flood gates open and lay his heart and soul on the table. LOVE that about him. The dichotomy between the wholly private Johnny and the completely open and expressive Johnny. People love to call him "fiercely private" and "reclusive". And while he is those things, he is also very open and giving. He guards his life well, but he also gives so much of it. He keeps to himself, but he also gives so much of himself. He has his secrets while remaining open about his thoughts and feelings. You will always know where you stand with him, and at the same time, he will keep you guessing. You could know him well, but still find him mysterious. He personifies a graceful balance between innocent vulnerability and savvy reticence. And it comes through in his writing.
During a day, if you don’t make someone smile or feel good about himself, you’re not a man! I don’t think you’re fulfilling your part of the bargain as a human being - Johnny

DeppInTheHeartOfTexas

Unread postby DeppInTheHeartOfTexas » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:42 pm

sweetchia, that was my favorite passage too. So descriptive and so perfect! It made me laugh out loud.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -
Wow! What a ride!

ladylinn

Unread postby ladylinn » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:33 pm

One (there were many) of the passages I really liked was - "To me, it almost doesn't matter what Tim wants to film -- I'll do it, I'm there". This shows his loyality to true and trusted friends. In life friends like this don't come around often. As far as style - as in most aspects of Johnny's life - Johnny is Johnny! That is what makes him special.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:11 pm

Yes, I agree with sweetchia's favorite and I also have many favorites. Here is one...
I was so affected and moved by it that strong waves of images flooded my brain -- dogs I'd had as a kid, feeling freakish and obtuse when I was growing up, the unconditional love that only infants and dogs are evolved enough to have.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

nebraska

Unread postby nebraska » Tue Nov 24, 2009 4:17 pm

I would be hard-pressed to pick just one passage. There was so much in the entire piece that I loved!

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:19 pm

I am so sorry, I need to ask this...but where is the essay Johnny wrote?? I must be missing it?? Can someone let me know what thread it is on...very interesting quotes!!
I have finally found a way to live just like I never could before.
I have finally found a way to live in the presence of the lord ~ E. Clapton

sweetchia

Unread postby sweetchia » Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:39 pm

Here ya go, girl. :love:
During a day, if you don’t make someone smile or feel good about himself, you’re not a man! I don’t think you’re fulfilling your part of the bargain as a human being - Johnny

Kittycat88

Unread postby Kittycat88 » Tue Nov 24, 2009 8:39 pm

Thank you sweetchia!! Much appreciated.
I have finally found a way to live just like I never could before.
I have finally found a way to live in the presence of the lord ~ E. Clapton

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:51 am

Thank you so much, sweetchia, for giving Kittycat the link.

Like many of you, I have found it very hard to pick just one passage (or even 2). Each has its merits for different reasons. It’s quite a varied piece, which certainly kept my interest. But I digress.

I will point out this passage, just because no one else did, but also because it speaks to me…..

He is an artist, a genius, an oddball, an insane, brilliant, brave, hysterically funny, loyal, nonconformist, honest friend. I owe him a tremendous debt and respect him more than I could ever express on paper. He is him and that is all. And he is, without a doubt, the finest Sammy Davis Jr. impersonator on the planet.

I like this passage because in just a few words he has paid tremendous tribute to his friend. His words speak volumes to me about his loyalty, respect and deep feelings of friendship and camaraderie towards his friend. And he cuts the sensitivity with a bit of humor, which I think gives it just the right balance.

Keep in mind that these words were written 15 years ago. Just think how much closer they are now, after 4 (?) (try 6 :dunce: :yikes: ) more films.

I also like the following quote because it resonates with me. It is such a positive statement about being an individual and succeeding at it. Johnny’s triumph as Captain Jack in POTC comes to mind.

I have never seen someone so obviously out of place fit right in. His way.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Buster

Unread postby Buster » Wed Nov 25, 2009 1:25 pm

The minimal abrasion soon became potential self-destruction. I was not feeling good about myself or this self-induced/out-of-control jail term that an ex-agent had prescribed as good medicine for unemployment. I was stuck, filling up space between commercials.

This quote stuck out for me because it so clearly describes that moment just before the light turns on. If Johnny hadn't been miserable as a teen idol, he never would have moved on, and that would have been a shame.

Kate_with_a_K

Unread postby Kate_with_a_K » Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:40 pm

I really can't pick one passage either. I've read this before, but this time, the part that really stood out for me was: Plastered, postered, postured, patented, painted, plastic!!! So alliterative and almost poetic.

I loved his description of Tim too.

And, Liz, I did keep in mind how long ago this was written. I think it has become more than relevant over time and the number of collaborations.

And the part about "you are Edward" - how prophetic!!
"I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers." - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:27 pm

Kate_with_a_K wrote: And the part about "you are Edward" - how prophetic!!

Oh yes! Very much so.

Glad to see you back here, Kate.
:wave:

Kate_with_a_K

Unread postby Kate_with_a_K » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:45 pm

Liz wrote:

Oh yes! Very much so.

Thanks, Liz. It's good to be back. I don't always have time to read the books, etc., but it's fun to read the tidbits and discussion.
"I wonder how the book got to Guernsey? Perhaps there is some sort of secret homing instinct in books that brings them to their perfect readers." - The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Wed Nov 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Kate_with_a_K wrote:
Liz wrote:

Oh yes! Very much so.

Thanks, Liz. It's good to be back. I don't always have time to read the books, etc., but it's fun to read the tidbits and discussion.

And I'm sure it's less daunting to read a short article than a 300-900 page book. I know it's more doable for me.....esp. these days. So many books, never enough time. :-/

Return to “Autumn Authors”