by Edgar Allen Poe, William Saroyan, Jack Kerouac and Hunter S. Thompson

Moderator: Liz

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Re: Hunter Question #6 - Saroyan, Kerouac & Thompson

Unread postby Liz » Sun Nov 22, 2009 8:41 pm

Great finds and points, Buster and Gemini! :applause2:
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

gemini

Unread postby gemini » Mon Nov 23, 2009 2:57 pm

Buster wrote:Oh man, that article made me miss my bike so much...and for the days when the dirt driveway was filled with a motley array of Triumphs, old BMW's, the Indian, and, (got to love it, but nothing was better for chasing goats) the Elsinore. Thanks, Liz, for the flashback.

His enthusiasm for the edge resonates with my own. Hunter is my favorite of these three, partly because his writing led me to so many other authors I've enjoyed. There's something about "expanded" non-fiction (or journalism with a healthy dose of opinion) that is appealing.

Buster your driveway sounds a lot like mine when I was growing up.

Liz said. I am amazed that he can pull me in to a subject that I could care less about, just by virtue of his writing. I just loved this piece:
I bought quite a few Hunter books and forced myself to read many because like your lack of interest in bikes, I hated sports. Hunter would have thrown me out of his house in an instant! I did read them all mainly for his comments about people and politics but never got interested in the sports part except the bikes.

I enjoyed the article like Buster, because it brought back old times. I came from a family of bikers. My dad shipped a BMW back in pieces when he was overseas in WWII. He loved old Indians, my brother was into Triumphs, and I had them all in fits when I wanted my own bike. Finally they let me have one when my mom finally stepped in and declared if my brother could have one so could I.
We all had bikes for quite a few years but then when riding became taking your life in your hands we all gave them up.
(except my Dad was was always hiding a junk off road bike from my mom) Guess thats where Hunter was different, he liked the danger.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." Will Rogers

Growing old is mandatory, growing up is optional.

stroch

Unread postby stroch » Mon Nov 23, 2009 4:29 pm

I think that sense of estrangement and anarchism that gemini mentioned is what thye have in common. They looked at society from the outside and maintained their separateness.
I'll buy you the hat....a really big one.
St. Roch -- patron saint of pilgrims

Liz
ONBC Moderator

Unread postby Liz » Tue Nov 24, 2009 12:57 am

Stroch, they all marched to the tune of a different drummer, that's for sure. And that is a big part of the appeal to me.
You can't judge a book by its cover.

The only thing that matters is the ending. It's the most important part of the story.

Return to “Autumn Authors”